Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Eggs ... again

Eggs get eaten. I've yet to see a fertilized goldfish egg, but I've found hundreds of fry that hatched in waste water. The fact that you found these three indicates the big fish stuffed themselves with eggs to the point that they stopped looking -- temporarily.

Yes, someone probably had omelets for breakfast! :rofl

funny on remarks. :) But, poor eggs :( How nice that you found three though Amanda.

Unfortunately I don't think these eggs are going to hatch. There hasn't been any change since yesterday, and one looks crushed. But we'll see. The one in the main tank got eaten.

I'm going to buy some yarn and make a spawning mop. I think what's happening is that the eggs are getting crushed before I even get to them, or when I take them out of the water. Two eggs just isn't good odds for success. I need something in the tank, like a spawning mop, that will capture and protect the eggs until I can get home and move the mop to a 10 gallon, heated QT. I think keeping a mop in there full time is a good idea, since my fish don't "show" enough for me to notice when they are gravid, despite the fact that I have been watching them obsessively over the last few months.

Edited by *Amanda*

I'm sorry about the eggs. :)

Your determined to get some eggs! So I'm sure you'll get some soon enough. :)

It might take a few days to see eyes. If they aren't fuzzy, they may be fertile. :D

I'm sorry about the eggs. :)

Your determined to get some eggs! So I'm sure you'll get some soon enough. :)

I hope so too. I just wish there was a way for me to tell BEFORE spawning happens. I always know they laid eggs after the fact because my male's tubercles are very prominent, but I can never tell with my females. So many people say it should be obvious, though, that I wonder if I'm just looking for the wrong things. I pay attention to swimming patterns (waddling - but they always do this), belly appearance (bigger on one side - no discernible difference in my fish; they are chubby on both sides), and vent protrusion (this last one is the only place where I see any difference, but it's too slight to use with certainty). For the life of me I cannot tell the difference in my fish; it is very frustrating!

If you are anticipating eggs and wanting to keep them, you can always create an environment on the bottom of the tank (where the majority of the eggs usually end up) where they will elude getting eaten. -If you string your spawning mops onto plastic canvas it will be easy to lift up for the purpose of water changes and tank cleaning. -Lots of plants are low lying as well that can be planted and catch eggs. -Even something as simple as oversized glass drops (about the size of a palm) and appropriate aquatic sand can be enough to save a few eggs from consumption.

Good luck, I have never successfully tank spawned and have always admired those that were able to :)

If you are anticipating eggs and wanting to keep them, you can always create an environment on the bottom of the tank (where the majority of the eggs usually end up) where they will elude getting eaten. -If you string your spawning mops onto plastic canvas it will be easy to lift up for the purpose of water changes and tank cleaning. -Lots of plants are low lying as well that can be planted and catch eggs. -Even something as simple as oversized glass drops (about the size of a palm) and appropriate aquatic sand can be enough to save a few eggs from consumption.

Good luck, I have never successfully tank spawned and have always admired those that were able to :)

Bodoba, I was thinking about that when jenzaar mentioned the bowl idea since I don't have a plastic bowl that would float. I was thinking about placing the eggs in the bowl and then covering it with a filter bag. Your suggestion seems like it would allow for a lot of room for them. But I was wondering if preventing goldfish fry from being able to go to the surface could potentially cause problems. Obviously goldfish aren't labyrinth fish, but I do notice my adults going to the surface for air after meals. Would preventing the fry from being able to do that harm them in any way?

I think the spawning this time was stimulated when I turned the heat up a couple of degrees. I've heard goldfish are more likely to spawn indoors after a temp increase, because it mimics springtime in an outdoor pond (when spawning often occurs). But other than that, I didn't do anything special, and the spawning was wholly unexpected (as it has been every other time).

Edit: I was also thinking of doing 2 spawning mops - one on top, one on the bottom. I will see if I can find something like the plastic canvas idea to contain the eggs once they fall; thank you. I used water lettuce and it was a complete and utter catastrophe (I think because of the bleach), with roots falling off and nearly destroying my filter. So I think a spawning mop made of yarn would be better for me.

Edited by *Amanda*

The suggestions are just to catch the eggs and help prevent consumption. You would still need to check the mops regularly and move the eggs into a better and safer environment if you found eggs in them. :)

The suggestions are just to catch the eggs and help prevent consumption. You would still need to check the mops regularly and move the eggs into a better and safer environment if you found eggs in them. :)

Sounds good. I will be sure to buy dark-colored yarn so I can see the eggs. Last time I made a spawning mop out of a filter bag, which was completely worthless because the white color and mesh material would have made it impossible to know if eggs were there. :rofl

Sadly, neither of the 2 eggs I removed hatched, and the ones in the tank all got eaten.

My mom found this yarn out in the garage. Will it work for a spawning mop? I am not sure of the ideal material, color and texture for spawning mops, but this one looked like the most viable option from what she had. It's 91% acrylic/9% rayon and in yarn weight category 6 (super bulky).

329b86b7167405920275ba43c92b20b3.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

They usually use mops that are 100% acrylic since acrylic is made out of plastic (won't decompose like cotton) . Rayon is made from cellulose fiber so I wouldn't be submersing it. :( sorry.

Try red heart, you can buy lots and they are 100% acrylic and cheap :)

While rayon is biodegradeable, as Una said, the process would take years, and the 91% that is acrylic will still be there. Make your mops with what you have. If they aren't satisfactory, you can make the next ones from 100% acrylic.