Sign in to follow this  
HomerJay

Splitting Anubias

Have any of you ever split your anubias? I have a few that look like I can split rather than go out and buy more. Just wondering about your success rate and if you did anything special besides cut them with a sharp razor?

I literally just broke mine up, they're all doing fine :)

I've broken mine in the past, but a sharp pair of scissors helps to cut it more cleanly.

Let us know how it goes. I have one I am thinking about splitting.

I've done this before with some sterilized scissors. Works just fine.

One of my mother plants broke into 3 pieces. A second one felt like it was going to do the same, but held together, for now. :rolleyes:

I have successfully split several of mine. I usually use some small sharp surgical scissors :)

I just chop mine up with sharp scissors. I've used a kitchen knife, and kind of "chopped", for a clean cut. :) Just make sure that there are at least a few leaves, and some roots on each piece that you've cut.

My fish have broken some pieces off and I've cut off pieces with a sharp knife. Both have done equally well.

I do this all the time ;)

Try to make to cut clean, because I've found that the ragged cuts tend to get mushy and die.

I usually just kill them before they are large enough to be split. I should try your way next time. :tomuch:

I usually just kill them before they are large enough to be split. I should try your way next time. :tomuch:

:rofl3

Jay, you should just give it to me :) then you won't have to worry about dividing it :)

Thanks all for your input. I'll chop some up this weekend and let you know if I have any adverse reactions :thumb:

You could split them into two groups: Dead and Dying :rofl

Well, I have 3 new Anubias now. Hope they all make it! :please I'll start with these and see if they make it. I split 3 different types so we'll see which variety fares best.

Good to know! I'm glad you asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing. I was terrified to cut my plants in half.

I like mine to grow bigger and bigger and bigger lol. I have mother plants with 4-5 off shoots lol

I like mine to grow bigger and bigger and bigger lol. I have mother plants with 4-5 off shoots lol

I'd like to let mine grow bigger, but I don't want to spend $10 apiece for new ones. The store that had them for $3.99 hasn't gotten any more in, so I figured I'd make my own. Once I have enough, I'll let them grow.

Well, the three cuttings all have new leaves coming out. The plants I cut them from have yet to sprout any new leaves.