Goldfish Baiscs form a Goldfish Enthusiast

apecentral

Goldfish do jump.

Nice tank and love your fish.

Thanks!

In my 33 years keeping fish, I've never had a goldfish jump out of an aquarium. Out of a goldfish bowl yes, but that's a non-starter. I'm thinking the only thing that would make a goldfish jump is poor water quality or too small of an enclosure - both non-starters for me.

I agree with apecentral. Goldfish rarely jump -- typically only when terrified or when trying to escape toxic water. I've never had one jump. I don't think fancy goldfish can jump.

I agree with apecentral. Goldfish rarely jump -- typically only when terrified or when trying to escape toxic water. I've never had one jump. I don't think fancy goldfish can jump.

Agreed. It takes a lot of core muscles to jump. Fancy goldfish don't really have a "core" do they. lol :)

ROFL my big fat ryukin learned to jump/splash. When he wanted food ;) Haha, he'd plop out and back in the tank to splash anyone within three feet of the tank.

ROFL my big fat ryukin learned to jump/splash. When he wanted food ;) Haha, he'd plop out and back in the tank to splash anyone within three feet of the tank.

My fat oranda used to do the same thing. They can jump, it just takes the momentum to do it.

My fat oranda used to do the same thing. They can jump, it just takes the momentum to do it.

LOL momentum is right! He'd start at one corner of the 75 gallon and swim with all his might xD xD

Agreed. It takes a lot of core muscles to jump. Fancy goldfish don't really have a "core" do they. lol :)

I was in a pond shop and saw a fantail on the floor.

It was alive and the owner chucked it back in the tank.

I didn't see it jump out, but can't think of any other reason it was on the floor.

I didn't see it jump out, but can't think of any other reason it was on the floor.

I can see fish getting spooked and jumping, but i'd say its a rare occurrence with fancy goldfish, at least in my house - it's never happened outside of a bowl when I was a kid.

I can see fish getting spooked and jumping, but i'd say its a rare occurrence with fancy goldfish, at least in my house - it's never happened outside of a bowl when I was a kid.

I agree with you.

I guess it says a lot if the owner was unfazed by a fish wiggling on the floor.

Very pretty fish. Love their colors.

A lot of talk about Jumping so I thought I'd share my experience with this. When I was quarantining my Rain Garden fish last year I swear I was fearful of him jumping out because I believe Steve has his fish in ponds and I had my new one in a 20g long for qt. It took him several days/week to adjust. I ended up putting on a glass cover. So, he didn't actually jump out and I sure as heck didn't want to see if he would. :(

I've had a fish jump out yeeeears ago and in retrospect it would have been due to poor water conditions.

Now however I have two new fish and the biggest one slams into the top of the water when I start walking towards the tank for feeding time. This is the only time she does it and I'm sure if she weren't shaped like a grapefruit she'd clear some water, although not by much.

I can. I've seen employees spill a fish when moving it into a tank or bucket. If there were a lot of fish being dumped into the tank, it's not that hard to miss seeing the one that was spilled on the floor.

I said I didn't think fancies could jump, looking for someone reporting that a fantail actually jumped. So far, I've seen people describe flashing at the surface, but no fancy getting airborne.

I can. I've seen employees spill a fish when moving it into a tank or bucket. If there were a lot of fish being dumped into the tank, it's not that hard to miss seeing the one that was spilled on the floor.

I said I didn't think fancies could jump, looking for someone reporting that a fantail actually jumped. So far, I've seen people describe flashing at the surface, but no fancy getting airborne.

This woman is a sole proprietor, and the only one in the shop.

We walked past the tanks and on our return, fish flopping on the floor.

We looked in the tank before passing it the first time, and didn't notice any fish out of water until we doubled back.

When I was a kid I got two fantail goldfish as a gift from my neighbour. They came in a bowl. My mother knew enough to know that they would need a tank, but knew nothing about cycling or water quality. We weren't able to get to the pet store right away so it was a couple weeks before we bought the tank. In the interim there were no water changes at all in this tiny uncycled bowl. While they were still in the bowl one of the fantails jumped and was fortunately found (on the floor) before it expired.

A report of a jumping fantail! I'll bet it was very small with a short tail.

Honestly I don't really remember much about the fish as I was very young. It was young and small, calico with lots of black, definitely a shorter, rounder fancy goldfish body shape (as opposed to a long thin comet or common). I couldn't swear to it, but I doubt it was especially plump. The tail was double, not especially short, but I don't think very long either. I have to admit my memory is much more vivid when it comes to the fear I felt for the fish as it was flopping around and my mother was trying to grab it to put it back in the bowl.

I've never had a fancy goldfish jump out of my own tank, but my son rescued two tiny feeder fish that jumped out of a severely overstocked feeder tank at our local pet store. The employee there said that feeder fish jump out of the tank fairly often. :(