Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Pimple(?) burst on Adele - any action needed?

I'm sorry she isn't looking better by now. :( It's good that she's eating though. You'd think that the salt would have helped/improve by now. At least see some improvement! I'd probably would have started the melafix also if it were me. Hopefully a Mod will come along and see this Amanda and let you know if you should use the metroMeds. I'm not sure about that for I've never used the medicine before. For now I'd just keep up with your clean water along with what your doing now.I had a sick fish in qt with an air stone and stupid me didn't anchor down the tubing and my fish would swim past it all and was getting her long tail stuck in that mess. It tore her tail some. I just wasn't thinking. :(

Thanks for the response. :)

Fortunately, at least her tail is looking a lot better today. The red vein (or whatever it was that was hanging off) is not there anymore, and it appears to be healing nicely. She is still eating and behaving normally. The pimple is still open and draining pus, but it's gotten a little better in that it's no longer bleeding. I have never used the MMs before, either, and was just wondering whether it was time to try something a little stronger to help the pimple/boil heal.

Oddly enough, in my case I think her tail tore because I did anchor down the bubble wand, using suction cups to anchor it to the bottom. She probably got her tail stuck underneath it, in the small space between the bubble wand and the tank bottom. When I do the water change in the morning, I think I will reposition it so that it's just floating; that way there won't be anything for her to get wedged under. :)

Here are some photos I took just now. On the one hand it's good that her body seems to be pushing the pus out, but on the other hand I'm wondering if pus should still be coming out after almost 2 weeks.

6fbd2c93195d5db4eed3d25307993228.jpg

fa21bf6a2e0c6d61154cda76531dcbbc.jpg

4a75eba69de5a8e7b0c6742b2ae7edd0.jpg

Hun I would like you to do a gentle HP on that spot.. Lets see if we can clean it alittle better:)

Sorry to see this hasn't resolved on it's own :(

Hun I would like you to do a gentle HP on that spot.. Lets see if we can clean it alittle better:)

Thanks Koko, I will do that as soon as I get home from work. :)

I'm sorry she isn't looking better by now. :( It's good that she's eating though. You'd think that the salt would have helped/improve by now. At least see some improvement! I'd probably would have started the melafix also if it were me. Hopefully a Mod will come along and see this Amanda and let you know if you should use the metroMeds. I'm not sure about that for I've never used the medicine before. For now I'd just keep up with your clean water along with what your doing now.I had a sick fish in qt with an air stone and stupid me didn't anchor down the tubing and my fish would swim past it all and was getting her long tail stuck in that mess. It tore her tail some. I just wasn't thinking. :(

Fortunately, at least her tail is looking a lot better today. The red vein (or whatever it was that was hanging off) is not there anymore, and it appears to be healing nicely. She is still eating and behaving normally. The pimple is still open and draining pus, but it's gotten a little better in that it's no longer bleeding. I have never used the MMs before, either, and was just wondering whether it was time to try something a little stronger to help the pimple/boil heal.

Oddly enough, in my case I think her tail tore because I did anchor down the bubble wand, using suction cups to anchor it to the bottom. She probably got her tail stuck underneath it, in the small space between the bubble wand and the tank bottom. When I do the water change in the morning, I think I will reposition it so that it's just floating; that way there won't be anything for her to get wedged under. :)

Your Welcome. :) I wasn't much help though. :(

I think you should anchor the bubble wand... flush on the side of the tank and make sure the tubing is flush to the side of the tank with suction cups. This way there is no room for your fish tail to get stuck. I don't think I'd leave it floating on top of the water. It might just also leave a small puddle/drops of water on the surface of where the tank is sitting on.

Hoping you see better results with the hp. Note: q-tip works great.

Your Welcome. :) I wasn't much help though. :(

I think you should anchor the bubble wand... flush on the side of the tank and make sure the tubing is flush to the side of the tank with suction cups. This way there is no room for your fish tail to get stuck. I don't think I'd leave it floating on top of the water. It might just also leave a small puddle/drops of water on the surface of where the tank is sitting on.

Hoping you see better results with the hp. Note: q-tip works great.

Thanks, I'll try hooking it to the side tonight - probably bent in half in the corner so that the bubbles get some distribution. Before I left for work this morning I removed the suction cups and just left it hanging in the tank. It doesn't float at all; it's too heavy, but I would like to secure it to something without risking Adele hurting herself again.

I hear you Amanda about the not wanting to hurt her. When I had a similar problem with one of my fish I didn't even notice the damage I was doing at the time. A friend had to point it out to me. I was having a difficult time with my sight and I was just getting by.

Did you do your hp yet? Koko might want you to do another one 24 hours later depending on how it looks. I don't know if you've done them before but I've taken the fish out of the water (just above it) kind of dried the area and than dabbed with hp w/q-tip. I'm really hoping for the best for your beautiful fish. Nothing worse than being worried about our sick fish. :(

Amanda, I've been wanting to ask you this forever. I don't mean to get off your topic here though. Are you related to OR friends with Percy here on Koko's? Gosh, it's been such a long time since I've talked to her. You look so much like her.

Amanda, I've been wanting to ask you this forever. I don't mean to get off your topic here though. Are you related to OR friends with Percy here on Koko's? Gosh, it's been such a long time since I've talked to her. You look so much like her.

Not that I'm aware of. I am not sure who she is; I must have joined since she was last here. I joined Koko's in October a few days before my birthday, and can't believe it's almost been a year (and that I'm going to be 30!). But I have a ton of extended family members I've never met, so you never know! :D

I just did the HP treatment, and was pleasantly surprised that when I came home from work, the pimple looked significantly smaller and less raised! I'm so glad to see it healing. I can definitely do another treatment tomorrow if needed; I'll be home until early afternoon but won't be back home again until Sunday morning.

Oh, and the wipe with the HP on a Q-tip cleaned all the visible pus out. I was happy to see that underneath the pus, the hole was much smaller than it was a week and a half ago. I should have done this much earlier; I was debating it but was focused on killing the bacteria rather than cleaning out the wound, which I should have also considered. Relatively recent research shows that HP is nowhere near as good of an antibacterial as was once thought, but it's still one of the best treatments available for cleaning out wounds. :)

Well, at least now I know what to do if this should happen again. From what I've read, pimples often recur on the same fish.

Edited by *Amanda*

Not that I'm aware of. I am not sure who she is; I must have joined since she was last here. I joined Koko's in October a few days before my birthday, and can't believe it's almost been a year (and that I'm going to be 30!). But I have a ton of extended family members I've never met, so you never know! :D

I just did the HP treatment, and was pleasantly surprised that when I came home from work, the pimple looked significantly smaller and less raised! I'm so glad to see it healing. I can definitely do another treatment tomorrow if needed; I'll be home until early afternoon but won't be back home again until Sunday morning.

The reason why I was asking re: Percy, was because I think she had posted a photo with herself and someone else. I thought that other person might have been you. That is kind of funny though because I really have been meaning to ask you for months and months. :) I guess she is not your sister or a girlfriend. Mystery solved. I won't be wondering anymore.

That's wonderful news about your fish looking better. I'd hold off until you hear from Koko again or a Mod to see if they want you to do another HP treatment. Maybe just continue keeping any eye on the area with continued daily w/c's. Did you stop the Melafex? Are you still salting? Perhaps when you come back home Sunday you can do an update with a close up photo of the area.

Edited by 4prettyfish

The reason why I was asking re: Percy, was because I think she had posted a photo with herself and someone else. I thought that other person might have been you. That is kind of funny though because I really have been meaning to ask you for months and months. :) I guess she is not your sister or a girlfriend. Mystery solved. I won't be wondering anymore.

That's wonderful news about your fish looking better. I'd hold off until you hear from Koko again or a Mod to see if they want you to do another HP treatment. Maybe just continue keeping any eye on the area with continued daily w/c's. Did you stop the Melafex? Are you still salting? Perhaps when you come back home Sunday you can do an update with a close up photo of the area.

Today is the last day of the Melafix. I still have 0.3% salt in the tank. I saw her this morning and she is looking great - I think last night's HP treatment really helped!

That's awesome Amanda. :) I'm so happy for you and your fish. Maybe just keep the salt in a bit longer for now....Unless you hear otherwise about doing another HP treatment. I bet it just needs that extra time to heal now with clean water and salt.

This is great.. I would do it one more time... :)