Pimple(?) burst on Adele - any action needed?

*Amanda*

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0

* Nitrate level(Tank): 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap): 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0

* Nitrate level(Tap): 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.1 pH, 13 drops GH, 10 drops KH

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.1 pH, 13 drops GH, 10 drops KH

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 69F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 gal, 5 mos.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? API Filstar XP-L

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 75%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 3", 2 3.5"

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Ultimate

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 3X/day Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish, Repashy Soilent Green, NLS Thera+A or Pro Gold

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Adele was treated with 0.3% salt for 1 week & PraziPro per the bottle when I got her almost a year ago. When I took her from my boyfriend's tank for mine 5 months ago, I treated her in QT with 2 weeks of Tetra Parasite Guard followed by 2 rounds of Aqua Prazi at 0.1 g/10 gal with 100% daily water changes. After this I saw an immediate improvement in her; she had been very thin. I believe his fish were/are carrying some type of bacteria or parasite, but can't prove it. I've been wondering if I should treat his fish with this regimen.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, she has what looks to be a "pimple" that burst. I just noticed it. It has pus coming out the center and is red on the sides. It is small and at the base of her tail.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, her behavior has not changed one bit. She's a very active fish, as usual. It does not appear to be affecting her in any way but I am wondering if I need to do anything or if I should just do nothing and let it heal on its own; I've seen different recommendations for this type of thing.

I will post a pic separately below; I need to do it from my phone.

Edited by *Amanda*

Hope a mod is along soon for ya Amanda, you've done a great job with Adele, look at the growth on that girl! Wah!

Haha thanks! I'm super impressed by her growth. I remember 5 months ago, she looked positively anorexic!

I gave Mario "sample bags" of each of my foods several weeks ago to take home and feed his fish. They're already starting to look better, but I still don't know if their thinness may also have something to do with bacteria or parasites.

Edited by *Amanda*

Ok, thanks! That's what I was thinking too, but I just wanted to confirm no isolation/treatment was needed. If salt/QT is not necessary I think I will just leave her in there - a few days ago I discovered a ramshorn snail that must have hitchhiked in on one of my plants I got last month. I had no idea! Unbelievably, today I watched this snail get picked up and spit out by 3 of my fish - and it's still alive and kicking, no worse for wear! These guys must be really hardy. I haven't seen any others besides this one, so hopefully I won't have a population explosion. I'd like to keep this guy alive; never had a ramshorn before. [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*

Good luck on your new little hitchhiker. Maybe your fish will get bored and leave him/her alone.

Hope your fish looks better in a few days also.

Yeah I think they picked him up because he was on a piece of food that they wanted. [emoji6] Maybe I'll have to feed the snail outside of the tank.

Salt generally recommended after a cyst or pimple bursts, it would be ideal, but you're also not an inexperienced fish keeper, and you know what to keep an eye out for ;)

Well, if that's the case I can certainly put her in a 10 gallon QT. I have one out in the garage, as well as kosher additive-free salt. How long should I treat for, and at what concentration? 0.3% for a week before putting her back in? I want to be on the safe side and avoid any potential problems that could arise. :)

Edit: Oh, and for regular kosher salt I would use half of what I would use for aquarium salt, since the granule size is much smaller? So if I were to do 0.1% it would be 0.5 tsp/gal instead of 1 tsp/gal, correct?

Edited by *Amanda*

Ok, I set up the 10 gal QT with air pump and water conditioner. I also made a solution of 0.15% salt (can be increased to 0.3% tomorrow if needed). I made it using 0.5 tsp/gal as recommended on kokosgoldfish.com for smaller-granule salt. I will wait to hear back before adding Adele and the salt, just to be sure I got it right. :)

Edit: just saw your response Jess - thanks! I will add more salt to make it 3/4 tsp per gallon. :)

Edited by *Amanda*

The burst pimple released bacteria into the tank, so you probably should do a large water change.

Will do - good thing I have today off! :)

Adele is swimming around happily in QT. I just added the remainder of the salt to bring it up to 0.3%, after adding 0.15% last night.

Good news - the pimple seems to be healing well! I did a 100% water change and added 0.3% salt and Ultimate back in this morning before I left for work. Will keep doing this until it's all healed. Thanks for the tip Jess; I think the salt is really helping her. :)

I started thinking about this late last night when I wasn't on the computer but I see you already him in a qt tank now. But I thought I'd mention this anyway of what I was thinking. It's probably a good idea to qt a fish that is in an empty tank rather than heal him in a planted tank with sand/substrate. This will help keep the water fresher/cleaner for the healing process.

Added: I just saw/read your post above to Jess. Wanted to say, I'm happy your seeing improvement. Yay! :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

I started thinking about this late last night when I wasn't on the computer but I see you already him in a qt tank now. But I thought I'd mention this anyway of what I was thinking. It's probably a good idea to qt a fish that is in an empty tank rather than heal him in a planted tank with sand/substrate. This will help keep the water fresher/cleaner for the healing process.

Added: I just saw/read your post above to Jess. Wanted to say, I'm happy your seeing improvement. Yay! :)

I agree. I had just seen different opinions on this, from "it's not a big deal and nothing needs to be done" to "QT with salt." After considering the different rationales, QT with salt seemed to be the safest way to go. I always like err on the side of caution, especially since it's impossible to know which bacteria caused the infection and how pathogenic they are (well, at least with the resources I have). Plus, it's not as if a weeklong QT with salt in a 10 gallon is THAT much work. [emoji1]

It probably would have been fine in the tank etc, pimples and small cysts are generally not a big deal, but QT and salt gives you a little extra assurance ;) glad it's looking better!

I agree. I had just seen different opinions on this, from "it's not a big deal and nothing needs to be done" to "QT with salt." After considering the different rationales, QT with salt seemed to be the safest way to go. I always like err on the side of caution, especially since it's impossible to know which bacteria caused the infection and how pathogenic they are (well, at least with the resources I have). Plus, it's not as if a weeklong QT with salt in a 10 gallon is THAT much work. [emoji1]
May your week of water changes go by fast for you and your fish all healed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a little over a week has gone by now. The pimple hasn't gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten much better either. I gently wiped off the pus that was just hanging off the wound this morning with a clean paper towel, since I don't want the tissue to heal over it and trap the pus inside. There is still pus in the wound. The tissue surrounding the pus is no longer bleeding and is starting to heal; it's now raised and pink.

Adele is still in QT with salt. I also started adding Melafix per the bottle instructions a few days ago in an attempt to speed the healing process. (I realize this may or may not help, depending on the bacterial species that caused the wound, but I figured it was worth a shot since it is for minor things like this.)

However - I just came home from work to a nasty surprise. A small section of her tail somehow got torn off! It is the upper part of her caudal fin (she has a tripod tail). Unfortunately, the section that got torn off included part of a ray. :( Photos are below; you can see the red part (the ray, I believe) exposed.

I am just completely baffled as to how she could have hurt herself in a QUARANTINE tank!! She must have gotten stuck behind the airline tubing or bubbler, since there is nothing else in the tank. Fortunately, she is not bottom sitting or exhibiting any odd behavior and does not appear to be in pain. She is swimming and eating like normal.

As for treatment, should I stick with my current plan or is it time for antibiotics? I have Metro-Meds on hand if necessary.

Thanks guys ... I just feel so bad for her! She's been such a trooper through all this, and I just want to see her heal back up soon.

a4241c3e2f36232d98b0bbec601fea9e.jpg

09c64b97188923fe795a433cf25e85a4.jpg

3acdc2e2977c3454ef580f4b45426c2f.jpg

Any ideas? Still debating whether I should run a course of Metro-Meds or if I should just continue with my current protocol of 0.3% salt, Melafix (currently on day 5 of 7) and lots of clean water. The torn fin doesn't look infected at all, but I don't want it to become so, especially with her immune system likely subpar because of the popped pimple.

Edited by *Amanda*

I'm sorry she isn't looking better by now. :( It's good that she's eating though. You'd think that the salt would have helped/improve by now. At least see some improvement! I'd probably would have started the melafix also if it were me. Hopefully a Mod will come along and see this Amanda and let you know if you should use the metroMeds. I'm not sure about that for I've never used the medicine before. For now I'd just keep up with your clean water along with what your doing now.

I had a sick fish in qt with an air stone and stupid me didn't anchor down the tubing and my fish would swim past it all and was getting her long tail stuck in that mess. It tore her tail some. I just wasn't thinking. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish