UVB light for goldfish?

I have a 90 gallon tank with the standard fluorescent light hood and am looking to upgrade my lighting to a hanging fixture. I'm open to suggestions for which fixtures you like or your experience with just cfl flood lights from the hardware store. I have a few low light plants (Java fern, anubias and hornwort). I was also wondering if anyone uses a UVB light on their tank? UVB light is so important for other cold blooded creatures that I was wondering if anyone has tried it for their fish.

Oh gosh, I vaguely remember this coming up before, maybe around a discussion of preventing color change, but no, I can confidently say no one uses UVB lights for a goldfish tank here, and it's not something that's necessary.

If you're just looking to maintain the plants you have, I'm sure you could put together something cheap at the hardware store, unfortunately I'm no good with DIY so hopefully someone else will have some guidance for you on that ;)

Thanks! I just know some people swear by keeping their fish outdoors in ponds and I didn't know if it was due to the natural sunlight and UVB spectrum. I guess it's probably due to the increased gallon size of a pond and the ability to graze on algae and bugs. Thanks for your input though!

I agree with the others; I don't think UVB is necessary for fish. I have a Russian tortoise though, and it is VERY necessary for them and other reptiles, as you mentioned. But fish have completely different needs.

If you are looking for better lighting, I really like LED fixtures. They are thin and sleek-looking, and they last for years - no bulb replacement necessary. :) I personally use the Marineland Double Bright 36", which gives the low range of medium light on my tank. Other good LEDs are the Finnex fixtures. I don't know much about bulb lights, but I would recommend reading Jess' post on PAR: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113173-using-par-instead-of-wpg-to-measure-light-level-in-a-planted-tank/ You don't want the lighting to be too high, unless you want to add pressurized carbon dioxide. I have similar plants as you: Anubias, lace java fern, dwarf sagittaria, pennywort and swords. All are doing great, and I'm planning to add a few more. I also supplement with Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish root tabs, and use Activ-Flora enriched substrate. Successful plant growth depends on much more than just light, as I've learned in the past few months. Fortunately, I got everything I needed all at once, and asked a lot of questions, which helped. :)