fantail whoes...

themoeller

yes ph is relatively the same between the tap and the tank. Im really nervous and curious why my tap water is so high in nitrates. I tested it 5 times tonight, thinking im crazy, but it keeps reading +40ppm. Im reading online the EPA says its safe for around 7ppm.

Am i crazy?

http://youtu.be/JWGBKuaC4kE

Heres what im talking about. before the change, like always, they run up the second they see me. now, not even a glance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would dose Prime like Mikey said if you're concerned. See if that does anything. The video doesn't really alarm me. Try tossing some food in . . . See if they go for it.

I've seen other people with tap nitrates around 40. I believe I've even seen higher. That is something that can be addressed in the water quality section of the forum once we get your fantail figured out. Has s/he been interested in food? How long has he been acting like this?

im concerned. ive had a battle with asthma that went away, then returned when i moved to the eastern shore. A lot of fertilizers here. I see a lot of asthmatics this way. Our county site states their readings at 7.4 ppm. :thumbdown

anyways, I have dosed with prime, and I see no change in activity. Phew that sulfur smell! I have hand fed the fantail a pea earlier. I just soaked some pellets, and hes eating. slowly, but surely.

Like i stated before, I don't recall seeing any "bowel" movements today/most of yesterday. Nothing since hes been in QT

Edited by themoeller

Since Mikey found the Nitrate issue, I found the link to the instructions for your test kit. Click to download them from their site. The kit is very finnicky sometimes, so it's important to be accurate. From what everyone can tell, there shouldn't be such a dramatic change in behavior post-WC. :(

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=instructions&id=580

i think im going to put him down. Im assuming clove oils the best option?

http://youtu.be/eFM8Z9tZ9ZM

I'm so sorry. The situation does look very dire. :(

In the event that you need to euthanize him, clove is a best option.

We certainly can try to continue to help, but once he reaches this stage, we have to ensure that the water is free of all toxins, that he's not going to be harmed by being on his side on the tank, etc.

I have a feeling there may be some sort of other contaminant in the water at a level that even prime cannot handle at safe dosage. :(

I would save a sample of your water in an airtight container and ask that it be tested.

ive contacted the city about high nitrate levels. They responded, sounding astonished. I guess its a southern thing. But apparently im one of many that are complaining about there water quality. Another fellow goldfish guy said his fish keep dying off as well. His nitrate levels are over 40ppm from the tap.

im sorry but anything over 10ppm is high. My readings are well over 40ppm. That's considered a RISK according to the epas website.

never had so many issues until this recent water change.

You are right to contact the water authorities about high nitrates. If the nitrates in your tank are 40ppm, it is truly unlikely cause what you are seeing to happen. Many people on the forum have levels of 40ppm at the end of the week, prior to their water change. Some people always have them. This isn't good, but their fish don't go from being fine (as yours were in the first video), to dying in 24 hours.

The level would have to be well over that to cause an immediate die-off of 4 fish, I would think.

Like Chai, I would be worried that there is something else in the water. For your sake, as well as any surviving/future fish, I would want to find out exactly what was in the water when you did the large water changes. There could be nothing (but the high nitrates) and the fish could have succumbed to something else, but it is worth checking.

You might want to read this thread, to see how some fish keepers struggle with nitrates in the tap

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115823-to-fish-in-london-fish-in-cycle-diary/?hl=dandy#entry1678363

Edited by motherredcap

thank you all. The city seems disturbed by this, they are sending someone out first thing in the morning to do some tests.

any advice to my fantail? Ive cleaned the tank again, and hes just sitting on his side, swims around a bit, but ends up on his side in the corner.

IF my moor makes it, I will be picking up pothos, bamboo and maybe some more java ferns to hopefully handle the nitrate issue.

sorry all, my heart is broken and my responses may sound mean. I never thought id cry over a goldfish! lol Im so sad. :(

Edited by themoeller

I'm so sorry :bighug:heart whatever you do, don't give up on the hobby :hug many people have had a tank of fish pass including me and I was devastated. But I reset it and didn't give up.

I just can't accept the fact that my tap water is this bad. I am luckily buying a house very soon, so hopefully when I move things will be different. But as of now, I feel like a bad parent giving them this crap water. But its my only choice.

my fantail is eating, seems like a swim bladder issue. Hes having a very hard time keeping himself upright, and his dorsal fin has now become streaked with blood.

We've all been there. It is a terrible feeling. :(

I do think that your fantail was suffering from nitrate poisoning initially, you might try Nitra-zorb (as Dandy in the thread I linked to did) in your filter. It may, unfortunately, be too late for the fantail, but if he is eating you could just try keeping him in a nitrate-free tank to see if his condition improves. Perhaps the nitra-zorb might help your beautiful moor?

You aren't a bad fish parent, but I'm glad you are having the authorities look into this. You are really doing all you can.

So the city came out, tested my tap and my tank water for me...heres my results

fe .03

cl2 free .92

total .96

ph 7.25 @ 22.7 C

Nitrate 5.6 - sink

nitrate 7.9 fish tank

I used the api test kit again, with him present, and got different results. Im totally lost now