fantail whoes...

themoeller

I have an issue with my 3 yo fantail. He's been the superman of my tank so I have no idea what's wrong here.

I have a 40 gallon tank, a 120 gallon canister and a 30 gal hob. Water testing no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrates. Sand substrate with a 30 gal airstone. I have my fantail, a black moore and two baby pearlscales.

The fantails had been slightly lethargic, sitting at the top, corners himself with the current in the corner (where my intake tube is). This is the first day I've noticed a slight change in his behavior. I fed him and the little guys a few mashed peas, hoping its constipation, and performed a 30% water change, added stress and tap conditioner.

He is now by himself, in a 20 gal. Seems blood is in his tail and getting worse.

Any ideas would be appreciated. He's grown so much, he's over 7 inches head to tail, I can't let my guy suffer. Thank you.

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link to the Diagnosis Form. Please fill it out completely and paste it here. I know you have most of the data already, but having it complete and organized will help the Mods to help you a little better. Please also provide some clear photos and/or video of the behavior. It will help determine what's going on. Photos must be uploaded to an image-sharing website to post them, and videos are most easily uploaded through YouTube.

Good luck. A mod should be with you soon.

Edited by ChelseaM

I'm on a windows phone. For me to copy and paste is incredibly impossible.

Tank

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 0ppm

Water change 3 days ago @ 30%

Use an API water test kit

Temp @ 76

40 gal been running for about 9 months

Fluval 120 gal canister and 30 gal hob

Every week/two weeks max 30% water change.

30% change three days go.

2 pearlscales about an inch in size, a black moors about 3-4 inches and a fantail that's about 6 inches.

I use tap conditioner and stress zyme.

I feed them new life spectrum pellets, soaked always.

No new fish or meds.

Ive never dosed this tank, ever.

The fantail has developed blood steaks in his tail, seems to be getting worse day to day.

The fantail has been floating nose up, but now he sits at the bottom. He is eating the peas I hand fed, and he's started to look around for food.

Hey first of all, just wanted to say thank you for the quick response, and admins quick account approval. Means a lot to me to see members helping others, especially in these horrendous times! Thank you all for your concern, its greatly appreciated.

oh and for the record, my nitrates are usually around 0-10ppm, always low, usually from my water changes.

heres what I got

http://1drv.ms/VYxJvO <-in the 40 acting ill

http://1drv.ms/1pZcjL6 <-separated in a 20g

http://1drv.ms/1pZcyWG <-Blood streak

here is a quick clip of my 40 gal setup with the moore and pscales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-hIPQy94t4&feature=youtu.be

and heres a quick clip of the fantail in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTee7Vn-Lyo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by themoeller

What beautiful fish you have! Do you have any medications available?

The first thing I would do is make sure that the 20gallon hospital tank is as clean as possible. This would mean removing the gravel so that the environment is as pristine as possible. How long has he been in isolation? If he has been in the 20 gallon for a day or more, you might empty the tank, take some cups of gravel out, refill and replace the fish.

The moderators should weigh in on what else should be done, but starting with an ultra-clean environment will help the process.

I put the fantail in late last night, so its been about 12 hours. I have Prime, and tetracycline on hand, plus aquarium salts. That tank is clean, treated water, tests great. I will remove the gravel slowly today.

I will say, I haven't seen him have a bowel movement in quite some time, I see nothing in the 20.

thank you!

Would you do me a favor and get a video of him swimming? You may need to nudge him a bit to get this. You mentioned the floatiness previously so I'd like to his behavior swimming.

I'd also like you to get some kanamycin and prazi pro, these might need to be ordered online, but you may want to call around and see if you can get them locally first

And you followed the video exactly? If you don't follow it exactly, it will be completely off.

Unless you have some type of denitrate media or tons if live plants I can't imagine them at zero.

i do not have any instructions with my kit, was a hand me down from my friend. I had no clue i needed to mix up my 2nd tester bottle, and shake for a minute after they are mixed. Thank you for posting that video, for i thought ive been doing this correctly.

only a java fern in there btw

I retested all params...

ammonia is 0

nitrite is 0

nitrate is around 80 ppm

Im currently freaked out and doing a 50/50 water change. I do have prime on hand, would you suggest I dose my main tank?

thank you again Mikey, you helped me dearly. Seriously, can't thank you for this enough.

Edited by themoeller

Yes. The nitrate is a confusing test. My boss doesn't even do it right at my LFS :lol2 she didn't shake it enough, did 11 drops of each, and didn't let it sit. I was like ugh. So I retested it the right way and showed her my results. Lol

Since the pH in the tank and tap are about the same, I would do at least a 75% water change to get the level down. Is the 80ppm in the QT tank or main tank? And what's your tap nitrates now? Are they still zero?

You're welcome! :hug that's what we are all here for, to help and educate :)

Im honestly out of ideas. I can honestly say the fantail doesn't look like hes going to make it thru the night. And the pearl scales have suddenly taken a turn for the worst. Gasping at the top, one almost got sucked up my filter.

I'm sorry this is happening :(:hug like Lisa said, there isn't. A big change in pH so they shouldn't be acting like this. Maybe dose prime again in case maybe you did forget to add it in the panic of the water change? It definitely wouldn't hurt to add an extra dose of prime as it can safely be dosed up to 5x the regular amount if necessary.

Edited by Mikey