• * Nitrite Level(Tank)0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0 ppm - 5 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)o ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API fresh water master test kit
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 36g 1year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? fluval 306 aqua clear 50
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 60%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, seachem excel
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy supper green and hikari lionhead. 3 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. treated for ich one year ago with salt treated for flukes with prazi 6 months ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?two small dents in wen
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.no

My oldest fish Tangerine has two small holes in her wen. It started out as her wen kind of sinking in the middle but now it looks like two small holes. I just set her up in a ten gallon rubber maid. I tried to take pictures but its not showing up at all. The holes are still shallow but there. What should i do?

Hello,

I'm sorry that your fish is unwell. We'd really like to see some kinds of visuals if at all possible, please. Could you hold her and take pics, or alternately, record a video. There are a number of treatment options, as well as not treating, depending on the looks of things. I would rather not subject a fish to meds if that can be helped.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry your fish isn't looking well at this time. You might want to list all the meds you have on hand for the Mods. They might want you to get started on metronidazole.

I'm sorry to ask you for more pics, but this one is pretty blurry :( can you set her up in a small tupperware (so she can't move around a lot) and try to take another well lit pic and/or video (if you think video will be clearer)

I definitely see the midline indentation, is there any redness in that area? has it gotten progressively deeper or stayed about the same?

I am not seeing the holes, if you could try to get a clear pic of these and point out where they are that would be helpful :)

How is behavior otherwise? still active/eating etc.?

I think that everyone is having a little difficulty seeing what you are seeing because of the fish's dark colouring.

As 4pretty suggested, metro might be required, and perhaps other antibiotics. I'm not a mod and have little experience with these medications.

Do you have a treatment tank to isolate the fish?

Yes she is in a 10 gallon rubber maid by herself. The pics don't show it well but there is a big crease down her wen with two holes. The holes are red near the bottom with white near the top. In the pics you can see the two white spots under those are the holes. Can i get the meds in an aquarium store or do i have to get it online?

It depends what they suggest. My impression is that there are options available at pet stores, but I am in Norway and don't really know what is available there. Hold one, someone will be along to help your pretty fish.

What does her poop look like?

Edited by motherredcap

I'v noticed over the last hour that she is staying in the same spot at the bottom of the tub. i decided to read up more on hole in the head and i am now positive she has it. i remember seeing a white string coming out of he wen and not thinking much of it but now i'v read that that is apart of the disease. should i buy medi - gold or should i get something else.

Okay, it's difficult for me to see for certain what's going on, but because you're reporting redness in the holes and progressive deepening I would like to go ahead and treat. Please pick up powdered metro (you might be able to find this locally, I'm not sure. The chains usually don't carry it but a local store might, call around) and also bifuran (this you should be able to find locally, most chains carry it)

Great. The redness reducing is a really good sign. The holes will be there for longer because that tissue will take longer to rebuild. What we want though is for them not to get any larger/deeper. Would you mind testing your water for me?

It wasn't noted, but you will want to continue with treatment for at least 10 days not what the package says which I believe is up to 7 days. I think 14 days is better but Jess might request otherwise. Continue keeping your water clean with huge/100% water changes.

I'm so happy for you and that your fish is looking better.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I've learned from Alex (dnalex) when I first started keeping fish that if your results are l.0 are higher, with any of your numbers even added together, you want to do a huge if not 100% water change. Your numbers are not. I'm not sue if that's why Tithra/Jess asked for them but I thought I'd let you know what I learned almost two years ago. :) ( but I still like doing daily 100% water changes regardless of results for a sick fish in qt or even a new fish)

Yes, The water does turn yellow. It's going to be yellow regardless but it might be easier for you to mix up the meds in a cup of tank water in some sort of safe plastic container. Once you have mixed it up you can add it to the qt tank. (you might be already doing this.) That stuff is a mess. Leaves my fingers/nails yellow when I use it. :(

Edited by 4prettyfish