Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

Guess who's back?

With two little goldies! I've been tank-less for a year since I moved and this month we finally got all setup. Our tank is cycled and today I finally got my two fancies. One black moor (because every tank should have one!) and a cute little fancy. No pics yet but will follow up! I don't know yet if they are male/female, haven't gotten a good look down below deck but once I do know I've got their names ready!

Hello and Welcome back.

Congrats on getting your tank back up and all. Will be looking forward to seeing photo's of your new fish.

Welcome back!

Welcome back :)

Alright alright!!

I've decided to name my moor Trez and my fantail is Wynn. Trez is very laid back so far and Wynn is a wiggle worm that is terrified of the camera. My camera hasn't been used since before I moved and apparently took a hit of some sort, so this is the best I have for now!

083014100_zpse016fc63.jpg

083014082_zpsbf8aa969.jpg

Hide and seek?

083014073_zps2d1648d5.jpg

083014051_zps65e1068f.jpg

083014047_zps13caafa9.jpg

083014044_zpsf515e8ad.jpg

083014024_zps98ca3e3f.jpg

083014023_zpscc74535a.jpg

083014021_zps0e49875f.jpg

083014008_zps9ee9fde3.jpg

Welcome! Love your goldies! Trez has a great poutty face!! :thumbup2:

Your Orange & White colored one looks like my Dreamsicle Fantail :D

Hmmm a closer look at the last picture I see the fins are colored dark on the edges, Just noticed that because my other goldfish, Creamsicle's tail fins just started to turn color like that at the edges starting today. :hummm I wasn't sure if it was a normal color change or not in my fish, yours has it too so maybe it is ok after all :idont

Welcome back by the way :nana

Actually those could be ammonia burns if they're showing up acutely. Better check your parameters!

I have a very bad feeling! I think maybe they've bumped my cycle already. No open pet-stores at this hour and I forgot to get extra conditioner so no water change tonight. ugh. Checking my parameters now with my API kit. :devilangel

welcome back! Your new goldies are cute! :heart

Welcome back! :hi

Hey welcome back :) very cute fish :) I'm just getting back myself after a big move,very disappointed in the fish availability in my area :(

Hey welcome back :) very cute fish :) I'm just getting back myself after a big move,very disappointed in the fish availability in my area :(

Same here, the ONLY freshwater fish in my area are Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus and Petsupermarket, pretty sure they're all from the same supplier. Two of the stores had deceased fish in their display tanks and one of those two had obvious ich infestation. I got these two at Petsmart..

Adorable! :heart

Congrats on the new fishies :)

Edited by Flipper

Same here, the ONLY freshwater fish in my area are Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus and Petsupermarket, pretty sure they're all from the same supplier. Two of the stores had deceased fish in their display tanks and one of those two had obvious ich infestation. I got these two at Petsmart..

Congratulations on your new fish! They are both very cute, and I wish you the best of luck with them. Welcome back, although I think I joined Koko's after your hiatus. :)

Ich is super common in the shops around me too - I've never been to one that didn't have an ich infestation at one point. Fortunately, it is very easy to treat with salt in all but the most severe cases.

The dead fish issue is a tough one for me. On the one hand, I feel it's unreasonable for me to expect a shop to never have any dead fish - they are getting in shipments constantly after all, and realistically, shops that do QT on all new fish seem to be rare (I don't think any around me do, since I'm often advised to come back on shipment day if they don't have what I'm looking for). On the other hand, if a store is filthy, neglectful and sets off warning bells in my head, I walk out and don't return. It's hard to put into words, but I know it when I see it. But to date, I've only been in two places like this, and coincidentally, the owners of both of shops were very unpleasant and clearly didn't care about either the animals or the customers. For the most part, I think people want to do the right thing, which I believe until proven otherwise. :)

Congratulations on your new fish! They are both very cute, and I wish you the best of luck with them. Welcome back, although I think I joined Koko's after your hiatus. :)

Ich is super common in the shops around me too - I've never been to one that didn't have an ich infestation at one point. Fortunately, it is very easy to treat with salt in all but the most severe cases.

The dead fish issue is a tough one for me. On the one hand, I feel it's unreasonable for me to expect a shop to never have any dead fish - they are getting in shipments constantly after all, and realistically, shops that do QT on all new fish seem to be rare (I don't think any around me do, since I'm often advised to come back on shipment day if they don't have what I'm looking for). On the other hand, if a store is filthy, neglectful and sets off warning bells in my head, I walk out and don't return. It's hard to put into words, but I know it when I see it. But to date, I've only been in two places like this, and coincidentally, the owners of both of shops were very unpleasant and clearly didn't care about either the animals or the customers. For the most part, I think people want to do the right thing, which I believe until proven otherwise. :)

Yes, one of the places with the ich infestation had floaty fish doing headstands and were trying to sell them to me. The other place just had two dead that I didn't even see until I crouched down because they were in a bottom tank.. when I told them they removed the fish right away but it was very obvious that one of those fish had been there for more than a day..

Yes, one of the places with the ich infestation had floaty fish doing headstands and were trying to sell them to me. The other place just had two dead that I didn't even see until I crouched down because they were in a bottom tank.. when I told them they removed the fish right away but it was very obvious that one of those fish had been there for more than a day..
Ugh, that sounds like a bad place. The fact that they were trying to sell these fish to you knowing full well they were sick is what really bothers me, and makes me worry for newbies who don't yet have the knowledge to recognize a sick fish. It's this type of thing that drives people away from the hobby, when newcomers buy dying fish, assume it is their fault when the fish doesn't make it, and give up altogether.

I remember when I was new wanting to buy a black moor that had a white patch that I thought was "unique" ... well, it was probably some kind of infection. I'm grateful to the shop lady for telling me not to buy that fish and explaining why, and then promptly putting him in quarantine.

Welcome back! :)

Me three. I moved to a bigger city, and although there are more fish stores, the quality of the fish was low all around. :( I ended up ordering new fish and paying a bundle.