Gumshoe is sick and sad :(

As I said, I don't have experience with the food you are using. If you don't feel like it is helping, you could try just adding 200 mg of disolved metro powder for every 10 gallons of water. I would follow the dosing directions on the Tri Sulpha package, but you have to replace when you do water changes. The best way to keep the concentration correct is to do a 100% water change every other day and replace the total dosage of medicine with the new water. You can Prime the tank on the days in between to nuetralize the ammonia and nitrite.

I stopped feeding the medicated food as soon as I realised that I had misunderstood your instructions.

I added the 200mg of metro powder for every 10 gallons of water to the tank the day before yesterday, so according to your instructions I should dose the tank again today yes? The packet did not have instructions so I am relying on you for guidance.

As I previously mentioned, the instructions on the Tri Sulpha packaging said to dose the tank twice only, three days apart. This conflicts with your previous advice to keep the antibiotic concentration steady for an indefinite period of time. Can you please confirm that you think I should follow the recommended dosage and only replace the volume of medication lost with water changes?

I have 450 litre (120 gallon) tank and I work three jobs - daily 100% water changes are not an option for me. I think the best I can do is to stick with the 7 day prazi schedule (2x per week water > 50% changes). I don't think that Ammonia and Nitrate will become a problem with this schedule given I have two small fish in 450 litres of water (120 gallons).

Apologies for the excessive questions. I just can’t help but think that if I had clarified your plan and advice to begin with, then Panda might still be alive.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't beat yourself up about Panda. We can't always save our fish even if we do the right things. Since you can't do 100% water changes (which I understand in such a large tank), here are two different options:

1) You could move the fish to a small tub or tank where you could change 100% of the water every other day and treat them in that. This would also require less Meds and save you money. Meanwhile you could drain and disinfect the main tank to eradicate any pathogens. This would be best.

2) You could continue adding the 200mg /10 gallons of Metronidazole to the main tank every other day. As for the Tri-Sulpha, I would go ahead and follow the directions on the package with one exception. Dose it 3 times rather than only two. We like to keep antibiotics in the fish's system for at least 7-10 days. At the 3 day intervals you are dosing, this will expose the fish to the Tri-Sulpha for 9 days which should suffice.

Make sure to test the tank daily for ammonia and nitrite and Prime as needed. The antibiotics will stall or kill the cycle. If you do a water change, do it right before you add a new dose of the antibiotics so as not to dilute the meds. The reason I suggestedd 100% water changes is because then you could add the Metro and Tri-Sulpha at the same time every other day which would be easier to manage (especially in a smaller QT tank). It is hard to treat in such a large tank.

Don't beat yourself up about Panda. We can't always save our fish even if we do the right things. Since you can't do 100% water changes (which I understand in such a large tank), here are two different options:

1) You could move the fish to a small tub or tank where you could change 100% of the water every other day and treat them in that. This would also require less Meds and save you money. Meanwhile you could drain and disinfect the main tank to eradicate any pathogens. This would be best.

2) You could continue adding the 200mg /10 gallons of Metronidazole to the main tank every other day. As for the Tri-Sulpha, I would go ahead and follow the directions on the package with one exception. Dose it 3 times rather than only two. We like to keep antibiotics in the fish's system for at least 7-10 days. At the 3 day intervals you are dosing, this will expose the fish to the Tri-Sulpha for 9 days which should suffice.

Make sure to test the tank daily for ammonia and nitrite and Prime as needed. The antibiotics will stall or kill the cycle. If you do a water change, do it right before you add a new dose of the antibiotics so as not to dilute the meds. The reason I suggestedd 100% water changes is because then you could add the Metro and Tri-Sulpha at the same time every other day which would be easier to manage (especially in a smaller QT tank). It is hard to treat in such a large tank.

Ok, thanks for the clarity.

Gumshoe died last night, so we are only treating Lipstick now :(

I have a smaller QT tank but I'm not sure when I will have time to set it up again. Will just have to do my best and see how it goes.

Ok, thanks for the clarity.

Gumshoe died last night, so we are only treating Lipstick now :(

I have a smaller QT tank but I'm not sure when I will have time to set it up again. Will just have to do my best and see how it goes.

I'm really sorry to hear about Gumshoe. This makes me think that treating in a small QT and draining and disinfecting the main tank is a good idea. Sometime this is the best way to really get rid of aggressive pathogens when regular methods fail.