Goldfish color

Hello everyone,

I want everyone's opinion about something. I have a blue oranda, his name is Blu. Well, he was sold to me as a blue oranda, but the dude is a mess of colors!! Lol he looks so black in some pics, and then in others with really high light settings he looks so golden on one side. Then he has some black, and silver. What color do you think he will turn? I've been told he might turn orange and white, black and orange, red and white... It is so frustrating to have to wait!! I got him 3 months ago and he has not changed much at all. Here are a few pics from different angles. They were all taken with flash, and the same camera, but he looks really dark in some pics, and then real golden in others. Just to think... All I wanted was one dark little dude! Love him anyways

2fd56541c618f046cc083a8c2dfcd690.jpg

9071701b220efdae6d3b144d2ba46ef4.jpg

7aea2d426cb7d09e3e87a5b2a3b5a23b.jpg

6e8cf39019d346cc3a4495fd75fa76ea.jpg

d8c9c84a4c218d81b93987452c0aa57b.jpg

I agree TikiLola! That is why I like getting my fish since they are on the smaller side. Always fun to look at old pics and see how much they have grown and what their coloring is like. Originally, I wanted a black oranda, but here in Puerto Rico anything beside orange, bronze and very rarely, a calico are super hard, if not almost impossible to find. I had to special order this guy and my calico. I already have 2 orange.

I always think Goldfish fall in line with that famous Forest Gump quote...replace LIFE IS with GOLDFISH ARE..."LIFE is like a box of chocolates, you never know WHAT you are going to get!" ((Couldn't you hear Tom Hanks saying it in your head!!))

Blu is a beautiful oranda! I love the mix of colors. :wub:

I've heard that specific foods, as well as the environment and light conditions can affect the colors, but in the end, we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Edited by FredTheGoldfish

The second to last photo looks like a blue oranda to me. :) In all the photo's his tail and fin colors look like they are from a blue oranda also. What throws me off is what looks like white in some of the photo's. Not sure about that color. I think your fish is beautiful.

In person is your fish more blue in color or chocolate? Could he be a chocolate oranda? I thought I had a chocolate oranda but she ended up turning all Orange. I have a big blue oranda now. :)

The second to last photo looks like a blue oranda to me. :) In all the photo's his tail and fin colors look like they are from a blue oranda also. What throws me off is what looks like white in some of the photo's. Not sure about that color. I think your fish is beautiful.

In person is your fish more blue in color or chocolate? Could he be a chocolate oranda? I thought I had a chocolate oranda but she ended up turning all Orange. I have a big blue oranda now. :)

Lucky you!! He has a lot of odd colors. He has orange (sort of yellowish), the silver white belly, black, darker silver... Here are some better pics. When I bought him, he was special ordered as a blue oranda... Obviously he is not a true blue. He is turning color.

5dece4708d31c904da5d0b183478c4a3.jpg

ef59b2f91cc8d837574f9d5385221efd.jpg

bb11c200ee73a0d7278a28e7374afe57.jpg06f28fc8262e9bc21bd0dc7167d6832c.jpg090eacc7be5611bce851bd570e6573bf.jpg

First photo looks like a blue oranda to me. They do have varies of colors. But the second to last photo reminds me of my fish that I had that I thought was a chocolate oranda.

I can see all his breeding stars on him in a lot of your photo's. (I saw your other post regarding breeding star questions.)

I love your fish regardless.

First photo looks like a blue oranda to me. They do have varies of colors. But the second to last photo reminds me of my fish that I had that I thought was a chocolate oranda.

I can see all his breeding stars on him in a lot of your photo's. (I saw your other post regarding breeding star questions.)

Thank you for the input. He might not be exactly what I wanted, which was either a true blue or a black oranda but he is my favorite :) such a friendly little dude. I'll have to wait and see what his coloring turns out like, but I am crossing my fingers for a miracle!! Haha!

Thank you for the input. He might not be exactly what I wanted, which was either a true blue or a black oranda but he is my favorite :) such a friendly little dude. I'll have to wait and see what his coloring turns out like, but I am crossing my fingers for a miracle!! Haha!

Yes, he's definitely not black. But I still think he looks like a blue in so many of your photo's. I have made a thread last year that is pinned, "Show me your Oranda". It's a fun thread to look at. A lot of members have posted photo's of their different types of Oranda's. You should go check it out if you haven't already. A lot of Blue's on that thread. :) It's in the photo section.

Wow your guy is gorgeous!! I see he has some brown. I've read that many blue orandas tend to have brown patches. Thatnis why I was so hopeful with my little guy. Yours is beautiful.

If your talking about that patch of metallic color on his back, each fish has different amounts of that color. I've seen different fish with a lot and mine with so, so. Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it. He's one of my three favorites. (hahaha I only have three) Yours too is beautiful.

Yes, he's definitely not black. But I still think he looks like a blue in so many of your photo's. I have made a thread last year that is pinned, "Show me your Oranda". It's a fun thread to look at. A lot of members have posted photo's of their different types of Oranda's. You should go check it out if you haven't already. A lot of Blue's on that thread. :) It's in the photo section.

I will go look at it right now! I love looking at pics of fish, especially oranda since they are my favorite. Thanks for the suggestion

I will go look at it right now! I love looking at pics of fish, especially oranda since they are my favorite. Thanks for the suggestion

In case your not sure yet. Go click at the top where it says: Forums. Then go to: Goldfish and Video Section. Click below on the Goldfish photo. it's pinned at the very top. Second to the top.

I had a lovely blue oranda that went through a similar colour change. She went from blue to bronze to white lemonhead. Towards the end of her life she was starting to turn orange. :)

IMG_0535.jpg

She was gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! Looks like blues do have a tendency to change colors unless they come from a pure blue line. Good to know this for the future! Lol though I have accepted the fact that he might change colors. Just hoping he doesn't turn fully orange... Already have 2 orange orandas.

I think the more bronzey color that a blue oranda has in it, the more likely it seems that the 'blue' is going to be unstable. My guess is that yours will eventually be a lovely white and orange oranda, but it will likely take quite sometime for that to actually happen. Color changes are lots of fun! it will be interesting to see how he turns out :)

I think the more bronzey color that a blue oranda has in it, the more likely it seems that the 'blue' is going to be unstable. My guess is that yours will eventually be a lovely white and orange oranda, but it will likely take quite sometime for that to actually happen. Color changes are lots of fun! it will be interesting to see how he turns out :)

Interesting about the bronze color that you were talking about. I was thinking of the color on top of that would fade, if it was going to. Kind of like my Harriett that I had Jess over a year ago and you DX her correctly. :) That big fish of mine went from brown to all orange. I think a couple of Jesilyn's photo's look like a blue oranda though but I see what your saying. It will be interesting to see your fish change Jesilyn. I had fun watching my Harriett change. It took months, if I remember correctly.

I totally agree that it is a blue oranda. I just think, based on those bronzey patches, that it will eventually go through a color change ;) and if you look closely at the tail tip, you can already see it lightning/fading toward white :) just like moors with bronze bellies, that color showing through to me suggests a less stable coloration...but you never know! ;)