Wilbur is Sick

amoonklein

• Supporter

Hi all. Sad news. My mom called a few minutes ago to say that Wilbut had passed. I am so surprised because I thought he had been improving and was doing better. I'm pretty upset right now especially since I cant get home, but I wanted to let you know. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate everything you do.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Allie, I am so sorry about Wilbur's passing. My deepest condolences to you. :hug Wilbur has a special place in my heart for I remember when you purchased him and named him. My dad has the same name. I hope you will be okay. :hug

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Supporter

Thanks, everyone :( It's bum city at the moment... I really feel a bit helpless being away from home, but I'm back home tomorrow evening. It still feels surreal.

Do you think I should be concerned about the other two? I'm just worried with what happened to Wilbur and I don't want the same thing to happen to them. If he had an internal parasite, there's a chance they have them too?

Thanks, everyone :( It's bum city at the moment... I really feel a bit helpless being away from home, but I'm back home tomorrow evening. It still feels surreal.

Do you think I should be concerned about the other two? I'm just worried with what happened to Wilbur and I don't want the same thing to happen to them. If he had an internal parasite, there's a chance they have them too?

When was the last time you did prazi and salt on the rest of them? Have they lost a lot of weight also? How do they look and act? If it's been awhile I'd most likely do a full round of treatments on them. Or the very least do a preventable treatment. As in dose the tank with prazi and salt and just do your normal water change next time it's due. If not any of those two .....do a huge water change at least when you get home.

• Supporter

Thank you all for your kind words. It really means a lot to me.

I got home late last night and my Mom had already broken down the QT tank and placed Wilbur (my apologies for the details) in the freezer for me. It was very thoughtful of her and I'm sure couldn't have been easy and I am very grateful to her because I was dreading coming home to see him like that. I want to give him a proper burial, but Max and I plan on moving early next year so I didn't feel right putting him in the backyard. Instead, I think I am going to place him into this large ceramic pot that I have and plant a small tree or large annual flower Then he can be with something beautiful.and I can take him wherever I move.

Today I did a 100% water change. Normally, I let algae grow on the bottom of the tank and on the rocks, but in doing today's water change, I just scrubbed everything! I also took out all of the silk plants and now there are only the rocks and 3 anubias plants. Haven't had a chance yet to get to the filters, but they are next on my list for a big clean. Tomorrow I will do a good swishing of their media to make sure there isn't any gunk in there. I will also get into the filter tubing with a brush just in case.

When was the last time you did prazi and salt on the rest of them? Have they lost a lot of weight also? How do they look and act? If it's been awhile I'd most likely do a full round of treatments on them. Or the very least do a preventable treatment. As in dose the tank with prazi and salt and just do your normal water change next time it's due. If not any of those two .....do a huge water change at least when you get home.

Winnie came from ECR and Humphrey from RainGarden, so I never did a salt treatment (other than a very low concentration of .1% when I was cycling to help destress) or prazi on them, just observed them. They both seem to be acting normal (aside from their surface piping). Winnie has gained weight but Humphrey doesn't appear to have gained and I can't tell if he's lost weight or not. Winnie's poop looks good; it's small and food colored. I do notice that Humphrey's poo looks long, thin, and stringy. He had 1 bubble in it tonight too. Do you think he could also have internal parasites?

Also, I can take some videos or post pictures if that helps.

I would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm not sure if I should begin salting or doing a prazi treatment on them or if you recommend something different.

Thank you again.

Thank you all for your kind words. It really means a lot to me.

I got home late last night and my Mom had already broken down the QT tank and placed Wilbur (my apologies for the details) in the freezer for me. It was very thoughtful of her and I'm sure couldn't have been easy and I am very grateful to her because I was dreading coming home to see him like that. I want to give him a proper burial, but Max and I plan on moving early next year so I didn't feel right putting him in the backyard. Instead, I think I am going to place him into this large ceramic pot that I have and plant a small tree or large annual flower Then he can be with something beautiful.and I can take him wherever I move.

Today I did a 100% water change. Normally, I let algae grow on the bottom of the tank and on the rocks, but in doing today's water change, I just scrubbed everything! I also took out all of the silk plants and now there are only the rocks and 3 anubias plants. Haven't had a chance yet to get to the filters, but they are next on my list for a big clean. Tomorrow I will do a good swishing of their media to make sure there isn't any gunk in there. I will also get into the filter tubing with a brush just in case.

Winnie came from ECR and Humphrey from RainGarden, so I never did a salt treatment (other than a very low concentration of .1% when I was cycling to help destress) or prazi on them, just observed them. They both seem to be acting normal (aside from their surface piping). Winnie has gained weight but Humphrey doesn't appear to have gained and I can't tell if he's lost weight or not. Winnie's poop looks good; it's small and food colored. I do notice that Humphrey's poo looks long, thin, and stringy. He had 1 bubble in it tonight too. Do you think he could also have internal parasites?

Also, I can take some videos or post pictures if that helps.

I would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm not sure if I should begin salting or doing a prazi treatment on them or if you recommend something different.

Thank you again.

I agree with Lisa about doing at least a maintenance round/dose treatment of prazi because you said your fish seem to be acting normal and looks okay. I too have a fish from Steve and one from Cynthia. I know Cynthia and I know that I received a fish that goes through normal qt method treatments so I didn't do any treatments on my fish either when I received him close to 3 months ago. I did have him in a qt tank for a month for observation and because he was so much smaller than my other two fish. Steve's fish though, I did a full round of treatments on my Oranda when I receive him last Oct. I don't know Allie.!!! If it were me, and your fish hasn't had any kind of prazi and salt treatments for at least 9 months, I'd do a full month of treatments now. (Lisa might say otherwise though)

Added: I do regular prazi, and salt maintenance on my fish about every 9 months. (I believe a lot of members do a maintenance treatment on their fish also. Time/months vary) I also do metronidazole and nitrofuricine green prior to the weather heating up for preventable treatment also. (It's for a week.) Not all agrees with me on those last two meds though.

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Supporter

How long have you had Humphrey and Winnie? It may be time for a maintenance dose of prazi. Do you have MMs on hand? I'm thinking you do . . .

I have had Humphrey since February and Winnie since May. They both keep surface piping off and on, but both of their poop today is nice and thick and food colored... a little long though because I accidentally overfed them some NLS 1mm this morning. I do have MMs on hand if we need to use them and I also have Jump Start too in case we end up using medicated food.

Sorry you lost Wilbur Allie :hug RIP little guy.

Thank you very much.

• Supporter

I agree with Lisa about doing at least a maintenance round/dose treatment of prazi because you said your fish seem to be acting normal and looks okay. I too have a fish from Steve and one from Cynthia. I know Cynthia and I know that I received a fish that goes through normal qt method treatments so I didn't do any treatments on my fish either when I received him close to 3 months ago. I did have him in a qt tank for a month for observation and because he was so much smaller than my other two fish. Steve's fish though, I did a full round of treatments on my Oranda when I receive him last Oct. I don't know Allie.!!! If it were me, and your fish hasn't had any kind of prazi and salt treatments for at least 9 months, I'd do a full month of treatments now. (Lisa might say otherwise though)

Added: I do regular prazi, and salt maintenance on my fish about every 9 months. (I believe a lot of members do a maintenance treatment on their fish also. Time/months vary) I also do metronidazole and nitrofuricine green prior to the weather heating up for preventable treatment also. (It's for a week.) Not all agrees with me on those last two meds though.

That's what I keep thinking too! I keep flip flopping if I should do a small "maintenance" treatment of prazi, or if I should go all out with a full salt/prazi treatment since they haven't had one with me and I'm not sure if Humphrey has had one.

I think Cynthia did a huge maintenance on all of her fish back in March or so. She wasn't selling any of her fish at the time when she was treating them. So if Winnie is your March Ranchu from her you'd think she would be okay. But seeing it's been 5 months and Wilbur had passed away I think I would do at least a round of prazi. (maintenance)

If your R.G. fish was purchased back from Feb. of this year and you have never done any prazi on Humphrey at all I'd do a month of prazi and salt on him. You could at least just start a round now on both of them and see what the others say. (do a large wc in the main tank with your two fish and add the prazi. If you have snails I think they need to come out. Not sure about live plants. I take mine out for they are not in substrate.)

As I was typing this it started to sound complicated. :( I think there might be others that do a maintenance of prazi more frequent than what I do. So, it might just make it easy for you to just do the full rounds of prazi and salt on both of your fish. I'm thinking as I'm typing this this is what I'd probably do now. (just to make sure both are okay from your beloved Wilbur's passing)

• Supporter

I think Cynthia did a huge maintenance on all of her fish back in March or so. She wasn't selling any of her fish at the time when she was treating them. So if Winnie is your March Ranchu from her you'd think she would be okay. But seeing it's been 5 months and Wilbur had passed away I think I would do at least a round of prazi. (maintenance)

If your R.G. fish was purchased back from Feb. of this year and you have never done any prazi on Humphrey at all I'd do a month of prazi and salt on him. You could at least just start a round now on both of them and see what the others say. (do a large wc in the main tank with your two fish and add the prazi. If you have snails I think they need to come out. Not sure about live plants. I take mine out for they are not in substrate.)

As I was typing this it started to sound complicated. :( I think there might be others that do a maintenance of prazi more frequent than what I do. So, it might just make it easy for you to just do the full rounds of prazi and salt on both of your fish. I'm thinking as I'm typing this this is what I'd probably do now. (just to make sure both are okay from your beloved Wilbur's passing)

Yes, I think you are right. She did do a maintenance round on her cutie patooties before Winnie was sent to me in May so I'm sure she had a clean bill of health when she arrived. Humphrey and Wilbur on the other hand, I'm not sure. I know Steve takes very good care of his goldfish and says on his site that he does scrapings to confirm their health before being shiped, but I don't know if they received preventative care before being sent over. Of course, there is a great possibility that whatever happened to Wilbur, resulted from my care during the time he was with me.

Here's a silly question and I apologize that I don't know the answer... if Wilbur had internal parasites, are they contagious or would they be isolated to him (assuming the other two were free and clear of bugs).

I think I am leaning toward doing a complete round of salt and prazi for Humphrey and Winnie, just to be safe. Does that sound like a good idea? I don't have snails or substrate, but I do have 3 anubias plants that I can take out of the tank and put somewhere else until their treatment is complete.