ph crashing! help

Hi there..i have a 282 liter cement tank that my dad builed..it has been running for abt 2 months before i put in any fish..i have kept goldfish in the tank now for abt 2 months already and didnt have any problem until last night. i had 3 fish in there that had a wound and it started looking like it had an infection..so i added baktapor in the morning after a 30% water change and by night time i came back to a tank filled with almost dead fish swimming ontop covered with a white coat all over their body..i panic and quickly did a 50% water change and check the ph level..it was below 6!!! i had a ph crash!!! i quickly went online and did a quick research on how to increase ph as i couldnt go to any pet shop cause it was in the middle of the night. so i read that to add baking powder..i took a 500ml water bottle,filled it up with the tank water and added a teaspoon of baking powder,shaked it up and poured it in to the tank and tested ph again..did this until the ph went up...in the morning i bought a kh test kit and tested my tap water..it is at 35.8..and then at night i tested the ph levels in my tank water and again it crashed!! i just added baking powder and its stabilized. why is my ph crashing and what can i do to maintain ph in my tank??? thank you for taking your time to read this,would really appreciate some help :)

Sorry to hear about your fish.

You should be using baking soda not baking powder. Make sure the source of baking soda is not contaminated--use a new box of baking soda.

The acidifying agent in baking powder may contribute to the delayed crash, but there may be other sources. There is also other ingredients in baking powder that may irritate the fish. So if you did use baking powder, do 100% water change.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

Regarding the wound on your fish, I suggest starting a thread in the disease/diagnosis treatment forum. You'll get help there.

Edited by LisaCGold

Sorry to hear about your fish.

You should be using baking soda not baking powder. Make sure the source of baking soda is not contaminated--use a new box of baking soda.

The acidifying agent in baking powder may contribute to the delayed crash, but there may be other sources. There is also other ingredients in baking powder that may irritate the fish. So if you did use baking powder, do 100% water change.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

Regarding the wound on your fish, I suggest starting a thread in the disease/diagnosis treatment forum. You'll get help there.

Thank You Lisa C Gold for replying..but im sorry i posted the wrong information, i am adding baking soda NOT baking powder.

Hey hun, glad you decided to join :) I hope you get the answers you are looking for :)

Heyyy..thank you for telling me abt this forum babe!!! im still very new on this and dont really know how things work but i'll get the hang of it soon :)

Okay, now that we know you are using just pure baking soda, your question is: after adding baking soda to the point it raised the ph to some level, why is my ph crashing and what can i do to maintain ph in my tank???

Right now what is kh and ph in your tank? Also, please include other water parameters like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

For your tap the kh is 35.8 ppm, what is the ph of your tap? Also, other water parameters of your tap would be helpful, especially ammonia.

How many fish do you have in the cement tank? I know you mentioned 3 fish with wounds but I couldn't tell if that is your total amount of fish. Also, size of fish would be helpful.

And then: what kind of filtration do you have?

This information will help me and others to help you figure out the ph issue. If you haven't already, you should post about the wounds in the disease/diagnosis treatment forum.

Thanks!

Edited by LisaCGold

Another question: was the cement sealed in any way to prevent any leaching? What I've read is that cement raises kh, so if not sealed then you would already have a ph buffer.

Maybe others with experience having cement in an aquarium can chime in here.

Hope you start to see some improvements, April! :)

Another question: was the cement sealed in any way to prevent any leaching? What I've read is that cement raises kh, so if not sealed then you would already have a ph buffer.

Maybe others with experience having cement in an aquarium can chime in here.

The limestone should buffer if not sealed. Cement also contains lye, which is quite caustic. That said reef people use it quite a lot. I believe once things have cured completely they tend to be quite safe.