Help me with my tank

teethguy222

Hi guys!

This is my first post though I've been lurking for a little while now. Finally ready to join the posting!

Here's my situation, I recently upgraded to a larger tank and am rethinking my family of fish. I had a 10 gal, my first tank, and just recently got a 29 gal bowfront. I've been using a Penguin 150 for filter so far on both tanks. Will probably be upgrading to a Penguin 350 in the near future.

Fish:
2 fantail/fancy goldfish, though one looks part ryukin; 1 about 4 inches, 1 about 3 inches (including tail)

1 dojo loach, about 6-7 inches

1 common pleco, about 3.5 inches

Now, I know, I know... I shouldn't have that common pleco in there. So far I haven't run into any issues, but I know i'll inevitably have to move him elsewhere. I do have a good sized piece of drift wood for him though!

I also know that dojo loaches should be in sets of 3. The loach right now is a loner and likes to stay buried under the gravel and pretty much only comes out when there's food. He actually was a lot more active and came out more often when he was in the 10 gal tank. I'm debating whether or not to get another 2, mainly because I don't want another 2 loaches that just bury themselves and uproot all my plastic plants. Will the loaches behavior change if there are 3 of them?

I like goldfish and would eventually like to add more, but I also want some more variety in the tank. I'm considering the White Cloud Mountain Minnows since I've seen them recommended on several sites. Will my bioload be OK? Can I add both 1 additional goldfish and a few WCMM in as well, if I change my filter to the Penguin 350? Or should I just go with one and not the other?

I would like to upload a picture of my tank, but I'm not sure how to. The image button only lets you put a URL in there, but my picture isn't uploaded online. I have a file saved onto my computer. How can I post a picture?

Thanks a lot for all your input and advice!

Hello and welcome!

The easiest way is to upload your photos to a free site like for example photobucket, and then link from there :)

Unfortunately I highly recommend against adding any fish to your current tank. A 29g is fine for two goldfish, and nothing in addition, as goldfish should have a minimum of 15 gallons per fish; and some people even recommend 20 gallons or more.

With the (still small) pleco and the loach you already are way over the stocking limit.

I don't think your dojo loach is too unhappy being the only loach. However, I read that generally they are more active if kept as a pair or in a small group, but due to the fact that they can grow to be up to 10" long, they should be kept in 55g tanks.

As far as filtration goes, definitely get the 350 for your 29g tank, even without adding more fish. A good rule of thumb for HOB filters is to have a 10x filtration rate. That would be 290gph for your tank, or higher. The 350 would be a wonderful choice for your tank :)

But just to make this clear: additional filtration does not mean that it is fine to have too many fish in a tank!

I understand that fish keeping can be addictive. Believe me - been there, done that :lol

But in order to keep your goldfish as healthy and safe as possible I would recommend to either rehome both the pleco and the loach asap, or get another, even larger tank. You might even find that you like having multiple tanks :)

Fang has given you excellent advice. I would like to add that I know your fish are probably small right now, but keep in mind that upgrading isn't going to be a far away thought for very long in regards to them growing. A 29 is a great home for two young goldfish, but in the future a 40 gallon breeder tank would be a better option for a forever home, or even something larger if you plan on adding a future buddy. I agree with Fang that you should not add any more fish at all to the 29. Goldfish just produce too much waste for that to be feasible.

As far as your pleco goes: I would remove him ASAP. Not only is he a danger to your goldfish, but he contributes just as much bioload as one of them, and will grow just as quickly if not more quickly than they do, into a monster. I wouldn't recommend keeping a common pleco in anything less than 55 gallons long-term. They just get too large, and tend to belong in monster fish tanks, where the inhabitants are more likely to keep him in line.

I also would rehome the loach because they get big quick as well.

To upload a picture on here, you'll have to upload it to the internet via a photo hosting website like photobucket or tinypic.

Welcome and good luck! :hug

Edited by ChelseaM

Welcome! I started out with a 29 gallon for two goldfish. I now have a 40B for just the two fish. Lots of filteration: AC 110 and AC 50. Fish are happy and healthy. I look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Hello and welcome!

I have kept single loaches for years (one lived for a decade!) and they have been fine. I definitely recommend larger tanks for them though. Even when they're small a smaller tank does not provide enough swimming room for them, especially if there's a barometric change and they're particularly active.

Welcome to Kokos! I hope you haven't been too discouraged by hearing that your tank is too small for all those fish. As the fish grow, you will be happy that you gave them more space.

Thank you all for your advice and input! I appreciate it all and am glad to have found such a helpful forum with fellow enthusiasts. I will have to think about what to do with my pleco in the future. I kinda like the idea of having a larger fish down the road, but I don't know exactly when I'll be able to invest in a much larger tank. I am kinda bummed about not being able to add anymore fish, but I'm sure it'll be much more rewarding to have raised beautiful and large goldfish properly.

I'm a little surprised that the fastest growing fish I have, has been the dojo loach. I think he's grown from about 4-5 inches to 6-7inches in the about 10-12 months. When will he reach his full size? I've read that they usually grow to about 8inches, I'm a little surprised to hear that they will reach 10 inches?

Typically how quickly do common pleco grow? Will it take years for him to grow too big? Or will he become a monster in a few months? :yikes

I have many more questions, but I'll delay asking them all at once, lol :stop

Also, I just signed up for photobucket and here's a first glimpse at my recently upgraded 29gal bowfront. Sorry the quality is kinda crappy with my iphone.

Planning on adding a couple more plants soon to give it more color. Also will add another bag of gravel that's darker in color to give some contrast.

IMG_2698_zps00bbf9ac.jpg

Welcome to KoKo's! :) Your fish are beautiful :goldfish: Don't add too much gravel, it is harder to care for if it is too deep. I have an inch of gravel in my goldfish tank but I am going to switch to either a black and white sand mix or will go with a bare bottom tank with no substrate, much easier to care for I hear. ;) But it is your choice as to what to use but just don't make it too deep!

Welcome!

I started off with overstocked tanks and as I learnt more and more about their care I actually grew to prefer the appearance of a large tank with few goldfish. Your tank and fish are very pretty :)

Thank you all for your advice and input! I appreciate it all and am glad to have found such a helpful forum with fellow enthusiasts. I will have to think about what to do with my pleco in the future. I kinda like the idea of having a larger fish down the road, but I don't know exactly when I'll be able to invest in a much larger tank. I am kinda bummed about not being able to add anymore fish, but I'm sure it'll be much more rewarding to have raised beautiful and large goldfish properly.

I'm a little surprised that the fastest growing fish I have, has been the dojo loach. I think he's grown from about 4-5 inches to 6-7inches in the about 10-12 months. When will he reach his full size? I've read that they usually grow to about 8inches, I'm a little surprised to hear that they will reach 10 inches?

Typically how quickly do common pleco grow? Will it take years for him to grow too big? Or will he become a monster in a few months? :yikes

Sorry, I think because I double posted, I think people missed my questions. Hope it's ok i reposted this!

Sorry, I think because I double posted, I think people missed my questions. Hope it's ok i reposted this!

I don't think everyone missed them. :)

It's all about the fish in terms about how large and quickly they will grow. Nobody can tell you exactly when this will happen, though we can give good estimates.

Something I have noted with Plecos for as long as I have kept them or have had friends who did, is that they are a fish that will grow faster in a larger aquarium. In a smaller space, they will take longer to grow, but then you one day realize that the thing can hardly fit under his driftwood anymore. :rofl Move him to a larger space, provide a proper diet, and just watch him shoot up in terms of growth. Because they can live a long time, they have time to get monstrous like I said, however it is just as impressive to see them grow up. Be aware, though, that the bigger they grow the harder they are to manage in terms of their confidence toward protecting their territory. They can get pretty mean.

Thanks for the info.

I'm a little concerned about my dojo loach recently. He's been hiding under gravel almost 24/7 and sometimes comes up for food when I drop it in the tank. I know that hiding is common for them, and him being the only one in the tank, he probably doesn't feel as comfortable being out there "alone". When I do see him, he seems to be fairly healthy... But again, this has become much more rare. Could this have something to do with upgrading to the 29 gal from 10 gal? I kinda worry that he's not doing well or might end up floating in my tank one day >_<

Burrying themselves is completely normal for them. I've had two dojo's, one liked burrowing the other likes resting on the tops of my plants. The one that liked being beneath the substrate lived for over a decade. The other is still with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Many of us started out with too-small tanks - my first was 4 adult fancies in a 10 gal! I'm glad you have come here for help.

I adore dojo loaches, and am hoping to start a tank with them. From what I've read, there is no problem with keeping them alone, but they can be more active and entertaining when kept in pairs or groups. They make good tankmates for goldfish, as do bristlenose and rubbernose plecos, but unfortunately, as you pointed out, the common pleco does not. The danger in leaving the common pleco in the tank for much longer is that it can and likely will start attacking your goldies, and the attacks will probably occur at night while you are sleeping. There aren't many suitable tankmates for them once they get big, since they can bully, or at least frighten, other fish. I don't know how big they normally are when they start exhibiting this behavior, but every fish is different, so I am reluctant to give a timeframe for how much longer I think he would be OK with the goldies. So if I were in your situation, I would start looking for a larger tank for the dojo and goldies, and leave the pleco in the 20 gal until he starts to outgrow it (and you'll know when that happens). [emoji1]

Here are some options for an inexpensive tank:

- You can find great deals on tanks from Craigslist. That's where I got my 50 gal with stand, and I paid half what I would have paid in the store.

- Petco has periodical dollar-per-gallon sales, I believe up to 55 gal. However, it is for the tank only; you would need to buy the hood, filter, lighting and heater (if desired) separately.

- Petsmart has package tanks that include everything you need, and they go on sale often. This is a great deal; I got a 20 gal and a 36 gal this way. The only problem is that the filters they come with are well below what is needed for any fish, let alone goldfish. But the store may let you exchange the new filter in the package for a larger one, only requiring you to pay the difference.

- Large Rubbermaid storage container! [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*