A No-Tip Hatchery Solution

SweetMamaKaty

I'm just starting out with my first batch of fry - accidental at that! I've been really apprehensive about a few different aspects of raising fry, one of which is the bbs (baby brine shrimp) hatchery. :scared To me they look complicated, and weird, and possibly gross. :teehee But knowing that it could really help my chance at success with these little guys, I just have to give it a try!

The credit for this tip goes to my husband. While I was nervously fiddling with my bottles and airline tubing this morning (read: clumsily knocking the empty bottles over repeatedly), he suggested putting rocks in the bottom bottle. I had some glass beads from a previous tank setup, so I used those - it works perfectly! Who wants to spill a batch of bbs all over the place? :o You could use whatever you have on hand, rocks, beads, sand... Anything to lower the center of gravity and keep the hatchery from being so top heavy.

I thought I would share this tip! It has made me much more comfortable with my own hatchery, and I hope it will help take some of the scariness out of making a bbs hatchery for other beginners.

Oh, the glamour... :teehee

IMG_73011_zps75b3caa7.jpg?t=1409019910

Great idea! The hatchery concept is really intimidating to me, too - you're not alone! I bought a ready-made hatchery by SF Bay but it didn't work too well. I'll have to try this. :)

Great idea! The hatchery concept is really intimidating to me, too - you're not alone! I bought a ready-made hatchery by SF Bay but it didn't work too well. I'll have to try this. :)

Thanks! :) A few days in, it's not so scary anymore, and things are going smoothly. I switched to a different air pump, because the one I was using was too low powered to run two lines from. (ETA: I kept finding one or the other had stopped bubbling, and the fiddling was annoying :P ) That's another thing I wish some of the tutorials went into - having two set up at 12 hour intervals! One of the hardest parts for me is the timing. And I always worry that the eggs won't have hatched! One batch yesterday seemed really low, with lots of what seemed to be unhatched eggs. But I think they must have continued to hatch in my fry tank, because over the course of the day, there were more and more bbs swimming. And it is SO cool watching them gobble them up - totally worth it. :)

Excellent! And good luck with the fry :)

:goodluck

Thanks, so far so good... :D

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Learning as I go, I have a couple more tips to add! :D

1) Label the bottles am/pm, or put a mark on one. Since I'm making small batches, it's not always easy for me to see the color difference after hatching, and with a lot going on, I don't always remember which spot I put each bottle in.

2) Put a rubber band around the top of each bottle to hold the airline in place. Mine want to creep up and this helps keep them where I put them.