getting a new goldfish...

knini09

Hi as you know I have an empty 30 gal. tank, after the death of the little goldfish I got from the LFS I poured boiling water and 0.9% salt in the tank let it run for 24 hours and then dried it up, so now I have been hunting the lfs to see if I find something I like, I did but did not purchased as the little fish was motionless in the middle of the tank and s/he looked quite stressed as the fishtanks around him had like 50 dead goldfish in them, only in one tank I saw one alive and the rest like 9 goldfish dead... quite sad, I wanted to get him and save him but I don't think I am ready to go through the same just yet, treatments really stress me out, and my health right now is not ok, but then I don't want to just leave the tank hanging in there getting dust... what shall I see or look out for when getting new fish? shall I follow some parameters or guides for goldfish and health and all that?

I would suggest, first, that you properly sterilize the tank and all of its components. Boiling water and salt isn't going to cut it.

Here is how to sterilize your aquarium: Use 1 part bleach to every 9 parts water. The bleach you use should not have foaming agents in it or any scents. (If you shake the bottle, the bleach should not foam up.) This solution should be run through the tank and empty filter for a few hours. Then, you want to empty the tank and filter completely and rinse it all clean until you can't smell any bleach anymore. If you smell any, keep rinsing! Make sure the filter is empty to remove the bleach solution.

Refill the clean tank with warm tap water, and add 2-3 times the normal amount of Seachem Prime. Let it run at least overnight. Empty, smell for bleach again, rinse and repeat the double-prime as needed.

-

When you are ready to buy a goldfish, look for one that is healthy and has no unhealthy tank mates. Focus quite a bit on behavior: If any fish in the tank look off, don't buy from that store. Many tanks are run on singular filtration systems, meaning all of the tanks are on one filter. You'll find this pretty much anywhere, unless you have a specialty fish store.

I would strongly recommend against "rescuing" a fish from a store or tank that is littered with problems like the one you described. There is a local store like that in my area - family-owned, actually - and I do not even go in there anymore, let alone to buy fish. It is very sad; nearly all the fish are dead, little fancy goldfish are housed with a huge common pleco that attacks them nonstop, tanks look like they've never been cleaned, and to top it off the owner is incredibly rude to all customers. From a business perspective, when people rescue fish, all it does is encourage the owner to keep buying more fish and treating them the same way, knowing that people will buy them regardless. [emoji17]

I would shop around different places. Chain stores can be great too, depending on who works there. I've had great luck with the Petsmart in my area, which seems to employ only hobbyists in the fish dept. No place is going to be perfect, and I would caution against having too high expectations, but if a place throws up immediate red flags and death and disease abound, it's best to stay away.

Buying online is always an option too, if you are able/willing to spend more money on a fish. I thought the people who did were nuts until I gave in and bought one fish each from RainGarden, Dandy Orandas and GoldfishNet for my new tank, and now I consider it money well spent. These fish all arrived in excellent condition and have had no problems, which certainly is less stressful. Many online sellers also have sales from time to time that will significantly reduce the total cost. I bought my DO and GN fish on sale, and RG has the best shipping costs. Another great option if you like ranchus is East Coast Ranchu, our forum sponsor. I've heard nothing but good things about her fish. [emoji4]

I recently tried to rescue a sick fish from our local PetSmart, but it died during QT. :( After that ordeal, I don't recommend trying to rescue a goldfish from any LPS.

Not only was the experience really stressful (and expensive) but buying a sick fish sends the wrong message to the LFS (who already considers goldfish to be disposable) regardless of good intentions.

If a fish already looks stressed or sad or sick in the store to you, then there's a really good chance the poor fish is already too far gone, and you probably won't be able to save it when you get it home. At least that's been my experience. :(

Like Amanda says, shop around. Also, I like to call ahead and find out when the LFS gets their new fish, so I can visit on that day.

It might help to have a clean QT tank (or clear plastic bin) ready to house your new fish while you're sterilizing and preparing the aquarium.

What about the website Aqua Bid? I know of people who bought Betta fish from Aquabid and were quite happy with their purchase. Maybe getting a goldfish there would be good also? I just recently got into owning goldfish so I don't know about anybody's experience with buying goldfish from there.

What about the website Aqua Bid? I know of people who bought Betta fish from Aquabid and were quite happy with their purchase. Maybe getting a goldfish there would be good also? I just recently got into owning goldfish so I don't know about anybody's experience with buying goldfish from there.

For some reason there aren't too many goldfish posted on Aquabid. Every time I've gone there, I've seen only 3-6 auctions, and most if not all are not for the exact fish you would be buying, which I'm always wary of. I find this interesting because they have a LOT of auctions for other fish, especially bettas.

I've heard good things about buygoldfishonline.com. They're based in the Bay Area, and offer $20 or $25 shipping for people who live there (although they never got back to me about whether Santa Cruz County qualifies). They recently expanded their site to include more "fish with pictures," which are the exact fish you would be ordering rather than a "stock" photo. I hate when sellers use stock photos, especially for goldfish since they are so unique from one fish to the next.

If you have the time after you sterilize your tank with bleach like Chelsea had suggested it's always nice to just let the tank sit out in the sun or by a window inside your home for awhile. (I've done this for at least a week and longer)