Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

I guess I need to update here!  I started a D&D thread here because of some floating issues, and it was brought to my attention how truly overstocked I am with these guys.  Long story short, I decided to go ahead and get the ones I'm not keeping to the LFS sooner rather than later.  Tomorrow. :bye2:

A video from tonight mid-water change

And I'm cross posting the descriptions below from a post I made on the subbie side. :)

Babies.  I have tentative names for a couple, which I'm not declaring until tomorrow, lol.

This one has long crazy fins that are all sorts of wrong, but so amazing!  The tail looks like it's completely fused, and huge of course.  Slight pectoral fin curling too, which raised my question above.  This one originally was a little what I call squirrel-ly balance-wise, but I think it may have been getting used to all the finnage, because it seems to swim well now and I no floating.

IMG_8257_zps7bc8b2a2.jpg

IMG_8258_zpsc4cacd62.jpg

This is my "perfect" baby from the beginning, a little lighter color than the rest, with almost a 100% tail split.  I'm holding out hope that this one may get a color other than black.  But it has had floating issues lately.

IMG_8259_zps2501b746.jpg

tail is not fused, but it does kind of overlap sometimes

IMG_8264_zps0beb8e74.jpg

Another long finned one, very dark, very pronounced eyes and a little pectoral curling.  I don't *think* this one has floated.

IMG_8269_zps12bf453c.jpg

IMG_8270_zps1d2c6eb5.jpg

And that is where it gets very hard.  There are a few that I know for sure I won't keep - a couple completely fused short tails, 1 with a damaged pectoral fin, 1 with major floating/very curled pectoral fin combo, and the smallest two - but then there are a handful that look very much like the one below, with about 50% tail split, medium color, and shorter tails.  And what's worse is some float, some don't, and I couldn't tell who it was last time it happened.  So do I just pick 1 (or 2, or 3) of them that seem good, for that sake of keeping more butterflies?

IMG_82771_zpsef82893b.jpg

IMG_82721_zps4d02fd60.jpg

They are now at full water depth with a hang on back filter and doing fine with that.  Still going slow with different foods.

I would personally pick more then one at least, so 2 or 3. It seems to me that those catching my eye most (seem most interesting to watch) also develop best. One thing i am sure of, small faults in small fish become bigger faults in bigger fish......

Its better for the fish to rehome them early, sooner or later youll run into trouble if you would keep them all. I'm glad youve read the warning signs, occasional floatyness is often a first sign of trouble.

Tough decision! I'm glad I don't have to choose! They all are so cute! 

Thank you. :)

So I guess that is the end of that chapter!  I kept five, and I'm happy with my picks for the most part.  It should be fun watching them grow.  :)  I've named two of them, and am planning on naming the others, just haven't come up with good gender-neutral names yet.  I'm actually still not sure which of these will be my forever-keepers, but I sure do like them! :D

I promised an "Al" so this is Aloysius :teehee Had to have a fancy name with all that finnage.

IMG_8257_zps7bc8b2a2.jpg

Wave

IMG_8259_zps2501b746.jpg

I also kept the other long finned one above, and two not yet pictured with short tails. :)

Question - anyone know how long I'm supposed to keep up with the prazi every 3 weeks?  They were due on Sunday if I'm to continue, but I didn't want to put it in and then take them to the lfs the next day.

So I guess that is the end of that chapter!  I kept five, and I'm happy with my picks for the most part.  It should be fun watching them grow.  :)  I've named two of them, and am planning on naming the others, just haven't come up with good gender-neutral names yet.  I'm actually still not sure which of these will be my forever-keepers, but I sure do like them! :D

I promised an "Al" so this is Aloysius :teehee Had to have a fancy name with all that finnage.

IMG_8257_zps7bc8b2a2.jpg

Wave

IMG_8259_zps2501b746.jpg

I also kept the other long finned one above, and two not yet pictured with short tails. :)

stunning fry

IMG_8257_zps7bc8b2a2.jpg

Wave

IMG_8259_zps2501b746.jpg

stunning fry

Thank you!

Looking forward on a full report on the ones youve kept. Are you slowly increasing water depth?

Looking forward on a full report on the ones youve kept. Are you slowly increasing water depth?

Yes, I keep meaning to get new pictures taken!  It's much easier to appreciate each one individually this way, and I'm really enjoying that. :)

I had raised the water the last few inches over the course of one day (the day of my D&D thread) so that I could run the HOB without too much water disturbance.  They seem to be doing well, except for last night when apparently I did my water change too quickly.  Two were hanging out at the top - not belly up, but not too happy with me either.  I will have to go even more slowly I guess.

I would really like to feed them more... I've just been doing once a day, I wonder if I can try adding a second feeding back in?

It's also amazing how fast I feel myself going from 'never again' and exhausted by it, to 'hmm, what would it take to get a better setup for this?'  :lol3

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Yes, I keep meaning to get new pictures taken!  It's much easier to appreciate each one individually this way, and I'm really enjoying that. :)

I had raised the water the last few inches over the course of one day (the day of my D&D thread) so that I could run the HOB without too much water disturbance.  They seem to be doing well, except for last night when apparently I did my water change too quickly.  Two were hanging out at the top - not belly up, but not too happy with me either.  I will have to go even more slowly I guess.

I would really like to feed them more... I've just been doing once a day, I wonder if I can try adding a second feeding back in?

It's also amazing how fast I feel myself going from 'never again' and exhausted by it, to 'hmm, what would it take to get a better setup for this?'  :lol3

Ugh.... how about thousands of fry :yikes  But anyway, i managed to scratch together a first BBS feed today, trying different ways to get the BBS as clean as possible, i really think there should be an easy way to get that done much quicker!

You should wait with feeding more, let the biological filtration do the work first. Then you can ease a bit on the WC's also. Quick seeding from an established system will give you a basic nitrification in 1-2 weeks depending on temperature mostly.

Go with the flow :D

hmm, what about using decapsulated eggs and then just poring through a coffee filter?  You must be using 2 Liter bottles for your hatchery!  How much do you have to make for that many, out of curiosity?

I'll keep taking it slow then...

Decapsulated BS are not suitable for GF baby fry i have read, the eggs are larger then BBS and still have a membrane which does not dissolve easily. Also they mess up the waterquality much more then BBS.

Yes i will need to have a big hatchery or many literbottles. But not right away, they can only eat 1 or 2 BBS at their first feed :teehee

Thank you, I was interested in them, so that's good to know!

I was too, someone i know and trust, who runs a koi breeding farm, says you can use them once the fry have eaten BBS for a week. But he personally prefers to switch fry over to some special formulated artemia replacement dried food(allmost ground to dust) from week 3 and fully on dried food at 4 weeks. He does have an automated filter system though.... i want one too, under the christmas tree please dear Santa!  :hoho  :fishtank:  

I was too, someone i know and trust, who runs a koi breeding farm, says you can use them once the fry have eaten BBS for a week. But he personally prefers to switch fry over to some special formulated artemia replacement dried food(allmost ground to dust) from week 3 and fully on dried food at 4 weeks. He does have an automated filter system though.... i want one too, under the christmas tree please dear Santa!  :hoho  :fishtank:  

Interesting!

The Final Five during a water change today!  So far so good. :)

Great recovery! :clapping: If this was a petstore video i would take the one at 0:30. I think he's really nice, and with that HUGE dorsal he could easily sail over the herringpond to my tank! :P

Kathleen, I have seen many people's fry on the forum and they are all adorable, but yours are showstoppers.

Beautiful babies...congratulations and great job! 

Will you raise more fry again?  Were the mom and dad both teles?  If so, would that mean that all the babies would have telescope eyes?

Will you raise more fry again?  Were the mom and dad both teles?  If so, would that mean that all the babies would have telescope eyes?

Thank you :)

I think I would do it again, but a little differently.  I think I would want to have some sort of real set-up in my basement instead of just using my tank.  Well, and I wouldn't be able to do it that way anyway since I'm at maximum capacity now. :) 

The parents were both teles, just by chance!  My female black moor had been chased relentlessly by my fantail in the main tank, so I moved her into the 29 gallon, and around the same time Daniel here on Koko's was looking to rehome his red/white tele male.  I was actually a little unsure if I should put another male in with her, but he was much more her speed. 

In my case they all ended up with telescope eyes and double tails (some were fused horizontally, but none were vertical single tails) - BUT, I found only 18 free swimming.  I had completely missed the egg stage, so I have no idea how many eggs there were to begin with, or what they would have developed into.

Teles are really cool, it might be fun to get a red/white or calico female to try for a color other than black next time. :D

I think I would do it again, but a little differently.  I think I would want to have some sort of real set-up in my basement instead of just using my tank.  Well, and I wouldn't be able to do it that way anyway since I'm at maximum capacity now. :)

The parents were both teles, just by chance!  My female black moor had been chased relentlessly by my fantail in the main tank, so I moved her into the 29 gallon, and around the same time Daniel here on Koko's was looking to rehome his red/white tele male.  I was actually a little unsure if I should put another male in with her, but he was much more her speed. 

In my case they all ended up with telescope eyes and double tails (some were fused horizontally, but none were vertical single tails) - BUT, I found only 18 free swimming.  I had completely missed the egg stage, so I have no idea how many eggs there were to begin with, or what they would have developed into.

Teles are really cool, it might be fun to get a red/white or calico female to try for a color other than black next time. :D

Your babies could still change color though.  I have seen people with black teles (moors) that have changed color before...doesn't that happen quite often?  Whatever happens though...you have some beautiful babies that you raised...and I love their shapes, finnage and color :).

Your babies could still change color though.  I have seen people with black teles (moors) that have changed color before...doesn't that happen quite often?  Whatever happens though...you have some beautiful babies that you raised...and I love their shapes, finnage and color :).

Yes, you're right!  I guess I'm telling myself they won't get color so I can stop feeling impatient. :teehee Thank you!