Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

You do understand it's time to feed us, correct?

IMG_80421_zpsd7314d47.jpg?t=1414604437

Is it just me, or are they starting to sport some little tele eyes?! :nana

Yes! Very nice!

Cute :)

They have such beautiful tails!

Thank you Susanne!

I'm happy I'm finally finding some info on what I need to look for on my keepers - Cincy Ranchu on GFK helped me id them as butterfly, which is very helpful to know. Linking for reference: Solid Gold's Intro to Butterfly Teles I was specifically wondering about what tail split was acceptable for my type, but wanted to be sure I knew the type first! :D According to this link, 50% or more split is what I'm looking for, so that will help me when I decide which to keep and which take to the pet store in a few weeks.

I'm glad you have found Gary, he and bluebelly are the most knowledgeable people on that forum. I have learned alot from them and am forever tankfull for the opportunity to learn from them..... :I-Thank-You:

Stupid mistake alert, posting to help others be aware. I just thought to check the ammonia, out of curiosity. It was 4.0! I hadn't done a wc last night - sometimes I do it every day, sometimes a day between - so now I know, I cannot miss a day. I'm just glad they're all ok - I would have been so upset if I had lost any over it.

On a happier note, my Saki Hikari came today. :) I went with the purple bag because I was able to get it faster.

So that is in the auto feeder now instead of Omega One, and feeding schedule is:

Morning - Repashy S&G

12 - Saki Hikari

Afternoon - Bloodworms

Evening - BBS

The Troupers eating fresh bbs

IMG_8150_zps6180943d.jpg

IMG_8151_zpsf5e23631.jpg

IMG_8167_zpsbaacc5cf.jpg

Ohhhhh.... i love seeing munching fry! :pease:

If i am correct the fish are about 3.5 months now right?

At that point my feeding routine was like soaked pellets in the morning and a quick siphon of the poo, either soaked pellets, bloodworm or gelfood at lunchtime and gelfood at dinnertime. Then WC around 10 when the kids were sleeping :bingo:

I had been building up the tank towards biological filtration aswell, at about this point i had 2 large sponges, a small internal filter and a giant HOB, i added another HOB before taking WC's down to once every 2 days. I think at about 4 months i got a filtrationrate at about 4 times the net content of the tank and i didnt need the daily WC's anymore. I typically did 50% WC's, but like said i did build up to nitrification at this point.

Did you check for nitrites and nitrates aswell? I am personally not quickly worried about ammonia when the PH is in the save zone, but you might want to be carefull when nitrification hits a big ammonia load.

Another tip could be to culture some green water, i have kept my fry in my backyard pond during summer and got green water spontaneously. I was very reluctant to keep them where i could not see them but i had no choise at that time. I was so scared when i cleaned out the pond after summer, but all fry i put in the pond were accounted for and had grown very well! The cool thing about green water is that it directly consumes all ammonia, so there also is no nitrification needed. Just WC's to reduce bioload from the algea.

Maybe it would be a good time to look ahead to where you want to be in the next months and shift up towards that goal. I do think making changes slowly and observing how they do is important with goldfish fry, so starting working on a plan early on would make it easier on yourself to keep up with the fry's growing demands.

Please do not take this as critisism, you are doing very well!

Ohhhhh.... i love seeing munching fry! :pease:

If i am correct the fish are about 3.5 months now right?

At that point my feeding routine was like soaked pellets in the morning and a quick siphon of the poo, either soaked pellets, bloodworm or gelfood at lunchtime and gelfood at dinnertime. Then WC around 10 when the kids were sleeping :bingo:

I had been building up the tank towards biological filtration aswell, at about this point i had 2 large sponges, a small internal filter and a giant HOB, i added another HOB before taking WC's down to once every 2 days. I think at about 4 months i got a filtrationrate at about 4 times the net content of the tank and i didnt need the daily WC's anymore. I typically did 50% WC's, but like said i did build up to nitrification at this point.

Did you check for nitrites and nitrates aswell? I am personally not quickly worried about ammonia when the PH is in the save zone, but you might want to be carefull when nitrification hits a big ammonia load.

Another tip could be to culture some green water, i have kept my fry in my backyard pond during summer and got green water spontaneously. I was very reluctant to keep them where i could not see them but i had no choise at that time. I was so scared when i cleaned out the pond after summer, but all fry i put in the pond were accounted for and had grown very well! The cool thing about green water is that it directly consumes all ammonia, so there also is no nitrification needed. Just WC's to reduce bioload from the algea.

Maybe it would be a good time to look ahead to where you want to be in the next months and shift up towards that goal. I do think making changes slowly and observing how they do is important with goldfish fry, so starting working on a plan early on would make it easier on yourself to keep up with the fry's growing demands.

Please do not take this as critisism, you are doing very well!

Thank you for the advice, I sincerely appreciate it! :D

I found them toward the end of August, so they're going on 3 months old now. Last night reinforced that I really want to get down to my select few - but the pet store wants to be able to see the type before I bring them in, so I need to really keep the growth up! I would like to be down to 6-7 or so next month, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. :) One of my potential keepers was floating upside down today - I don't know why, unless the ammonia could have damaged them in some way? To this point, I felt safe with all my shorter tailed ones, because only the long finned ones had gotten squirrel-ly at all, but I really couldn't tell who that was today, except that it was one of a handful with the correct tail split. :(

I didn't think to check nitrites until after the wc, at which point - 0. I will test for all 3 tonight before changing the water! :)

I see some very pretty tails! :clapping:

I see some very pretty tails! :clapping:

Thank you :)

It's bucket time :flex: Numbers tonight were .25/0/0

Thank you for the advice, I sincerely appreciate it! :D

I found them toward the end of August, so they're going on 3 months old now. Last night reinforced that I really want to get down to my select few - but the pet store wants to be able to see the type before I bring them in, so I need to really keep the growth up! I would like to be down to 6-7 or so next month, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. :) One of my potential keepers was floating upside down today - I don't know why, unless the ammonia could have damaged them in some way? To this point, I felt safe with all my shorter tailed ones, because only the long finned ones had gotten squirrel-ly at all, but I really couldn't tell who that was today, except that it was one of a handful with the correct tail split. :(

I didn't think to check nitrites until after the wc, at which point - 0. I will test for all 3 tonight before changing the water! :)

Petstores are just looking for fish that will sell quickly so they will want coloured fish without obvious flaws. It took me ages to have the fish colour up naturally because their mum is black and our cold climate isnt helping, but its getting there eventually. When my fish were much smaller i had to rehome a dozen or so before moving the fish to the pond. I just called some local petstores and asked if they were willing to take some of my wild coloured fry because i would get overstocking issues if i didnt rehome some of them. One of the smaller fishstores didnt mind allthough they clearly stated that people usually tend to leave the uncoloured ones. Two weeks later i went back and found all had been sold, so why do they make such a big deal out of it?

Yes some fry will have issues with changes in their diet etc, taking it slow, crushing and presoaking helps and in the beginning just feed a tiny bit just to nibble on, see how they do, then increase at next pellet feed. I have also found feeding a probiotic food is highly beneficial as it increases digestability, but i suspect it could also be hard on the digestive system at first. Not sure about that though.

My question/remark before about where you would want to be in a couple of months with the fry is probably much clearer now you decided which you want to keep, great! When reading about you waterquality i suspect you are relying heavily on WC's. Which is perfect, most ranchu keepers in Japan keep their fish that way. But if you want to keep the fish in a filtered and established aquarium eventually you need to switch to this at a suitable moment and in a setup that works for the expected number of fish you want to keep.

I must say that i am totally doing the opposite of what i am saying here and i just keep adding tanks it seems, but i would not advise that because of the extra work and planning it involves. So that was it, just a reminder you will be needing more room unexpectedly as the fry will go into growing out fase soon. Crazy really, to start a spawn in a 15 gallon tub and needing to expand to a 400 gallon pond(nett volume) within 5 months with just 40 fry. All considering the pond actually was too small for growout looking back, maybe i will aim for 15gallons per fry for growout next time i have a big spawn.

Ill stop nagging about this now, i just wanted to share what i had to deal with, luckily your spawn isnt that big and you can more easily predict which fish you want to keep. I would personally prefer the longtails that are well dressed in these, meaning if they stop swimming their tail opens up gracefully and they have a good body to tail ratio. The shorttails are wonderfull aswell though, would be hard not to keep them all! :pease:

I also love the longer tails. :) I originally thought maybe they did not have good balance, but since a short tail has recently done the same thing, maybe they are just adjusting to the new food and water height?

I started a new round of prazi tonight, the last 3 weeks has flown!

Today there seems to be something happening with color - a few are getting black backs again, while the rest are still lighter. I don't know if it means they will be black moors like their mother, or if it's just another stage. :)

What colour they will be eventually is very difficult to predict and also depends on the strain of the fish you bred. Fortunately the black moor colour strain is similar that the black in the thai black ranchu bloodline (kuro). So there is some indication to what you can expect.

The pure RW redcap oranda x thai black ranchu mostly coloured black/orange at about 4 months and by now are allmost pure orange, other colour possible is an unstable black. The unstable black, or what some call blackgold, can turn to a pale orange or stabilize in a black on top and a pale yellow(or gold) colour below.

My Orange ranchu x black thai seem to mostly turn orange via a chocolate colour. Some blackgold and some still green, but these appear to become white predominantly. Maybe some will become lilac temporarily. Orange can be a mix of many metallic colours.

So i would personally expect (in deminishing %) Orange, Blackgold, Green/RW. The last i expect to change to RW or white, you can see 'red' patches under the green.

To be clear, this is what i got from my own fish and i am just sharing what i have gotten from my spawn. I will also send you a PM with a link to more info(discussion) on the same colour breeding results from metallics.

What colour they will be eventually is very difficult to predict and also depends on the strain of the fish you bred. Fortunately the black moor colour strain is similar that the black in the thai black ranchu bloodline (kuro). So there is some indication to what you can expect.

The pure RW redcap oranda x thai black ranchu mostly coloured black/orange at about 4 months and by now are allmost pure orange, other colour possible is an unstable black. The unstable black, or what some call blackgold, can turn to a pale orange or stabilize in a black on top and a pale yellow(or gold) colour below.

My Orange ranchu x black thai seem to mostly turn orange via a chocolate colour. Some blackgold and some still green, but these appear to become white predominantly. Maybe some will become lilac temporarily. Orange can be a mix of many metallic colours.

So i would personally expect (in deminishing %) Orange, Blackgold, Green/RW. The last i expect to change to RW or white, you can see 'red' patches under the green.

To be clear, this is what i got from my own fish and i am just sharing what i have gotten from my spawn. I will also send you a PM with a link to more info(discussion) on the same colour breeding results from metallics.

Interesting, I will take a look at the link! I was hoping for some red/white since I didn't get any calicos, but it will be neat whatever colors I get.

I realized I haven't posted pictures in awhile!

Terribly blurry, but wow looking like Mom!

IMG_8222_zps06b47883.jpg?t=1416885561

This picture shows the biggest difference in color and tail length.  The longer finned ones are getting bigger eyes and darker color.  Most are somewhere in the middle.

IMG_8219_zpse21ecd61.jpg?t=1416971873

IMG_8215_zps6f768fc9.jpg?t=1416888832

One video with another short one still uploading...

Oh wow they look so great! You can move the fish entering the 2nd video from the left at 0:57 to my tank! I think i'm in love with those with the high dorsals! :pease:

If the colour change will be anything like mine you will see differences in pigment on their pelvic fins and belly. The more black ones will have a yellow belly and those getting coulour more whitish, then there will be some orange on the pelvic fins and white edges. The black ones keep completely brownish pelvic fins.

Really superb fish!

Kathleen!  These fish are just so impressive.  

Thank you all. :)  Finley and Franklin must have been a good match - I'm so glad I was able to get Franklin from Daniel at the perfect time, although I really didn't expect any babies to come of the pairing, just a better tankmate for Finley! :)

Certain ones are being plagued by floating episodes though. :no:   All water parameters are 0, but there were 3-4 of them this morning, and it used to be just 1 who occasionally struggled.  So I took the auto feeder off today in case it is the dry pellets instead.  This kind is so tiny I thought it would be ok - I was trying to use them to add a quick and easy meal, but I will soak them now as advised.

The color conversation is SO interesting to me, although out of my league! :)  Right now, most have white bellies except the darkest 2-3, most pelvic fins have black rays, and only a couple have white tips on their tails.