Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

Getting some sun today. :) I watched the water temp very closely so it wouldn't get too warm, and have the foam board back in place now.

IMG_7696_zps8268dbdb.jpg

IMG_7698_zpsffe18acf.jpg

IMG_7688_zps89a5487b.jpg?t=1411152478

Wow, they are getting big fast. They look great Kathleen!!

beautiful! :D

Wow, they are getting big fast. They look great Kathleen!!

beautiful! :D

Thank you both. :) I think it will be four weeks Sunday since I found the first ones!

Short video for tonight, no one would stay still for a picture. :)

I want more babies! :rofl

They are looking just great!! :lisa:

How many do you have? :idont

I want more babies! :rofl

They are looking just great!! :lisa:

How many do you have? :idont

They are so fun! :D

I have 16. Sadly, I had to let one go. It had multiple fin deformities (that I was letting slide) but then I saw that its mouth was deformed too. It's not something I take lightly, but I felt like it was for the best in that case. :( There are three others that I am watching, but as I really don't want to do the culling, they haven't hit the tipping point.

I should probably try to contact the LFS that we love to see if they would take any and at what size. I'd like maybe a little smaller batch as they get bigger, but I don't want to cull just for numbers. Though really, I have more fused (or partially fused) tails than proper doubles anyway.

I wonder when they'd be able to peck at pellets? :idont Maybe I should put one in to see, I'm sure they'd at least check it out, right? Most of them do some good foraging, so that's pretty cute. :)

Crush the pellets with a spoon. They will eat them. :)

Crush the pellets with a spoon. They will eat them. :)

I'm going to try this right now!

They did great with the crushed pellets, so I think I'll add a "lunch" with that. :)

Video from last night

Yay! Glad to hear the crushed pellet trick worked. :)

I used to love throwing in pellets and watching them tear at them like little monsters :lol2

I'm starting to understand why people create basement fish rooms! :D

They did great with the crushed pellets, so I think I'll add a "lunch" with that. :)

Video from last night

Wow, they look great!

Video from last night

Wow, they look great!

Thank you! :)

I finally got around to making the Repashy tonight! That stuff is cool - it sets up super fast, and is way less messy than even the bbs. The fry are supercharged right now too, zipping all over the place, so it must have given them more energy. It may have been my vivid imagination, but it seemed to me like they were kind of listing and some even did sort of somersaults after eating the crushed pellets. So since this was easy to make and I have plenty, I might use it for the extra meal instead for now. :)

New videos! They seem to have had another growth spurt. :)

New tweaks to report. :) I'm currently feeding 4x a day, basically trying for every four hours - alternating Repashy, BBS, Repashy, BBS. Last night I raised the water level to 4". I like it low, but the extra feeding is causing it to get too dirty in just one day. Starting the next round of Prazipro today.

You're doing a good job! :thumbs:

You're doing a good job! :thumbs:

Thank you, that means a lot to me. :)

I'm getting ready to put a small heater in tonight. I'm so nervous, just with what I've heard about heater malfunctions in small volumes of water. I would have put it in last night, but my thermometer picked last night to break and I had to get a new one. So I'll be watching it closely! It will also mean I have to modify my water changing somewhat. I've been setting water aside to have at room temp for partial water changes as needed throughout the day, but now I will have to temp match I guess. Or maybe I could set the pitchers in the tank for awhile to match I guess...

Things are going well with the heater, I just run it overnight when it would be the coldest and turn it off during the day. I'm trying to keep it 70-75F.

I gave them frozen blood worms Wednesday and they had no trouble whatsoever figuring that out! :D My LFS said we could talk when the fry are 3-4 months old, so I have a bit longer with all of them before I have to choose which and how many I want to continue with. They will be 7 weeks old this weekend!

Awe! :wub: Congrats on their almost 7 week birthday. They are adorable.

Awe! :wub: Congrats on their almost 7 week birthday. They are adorable.

Thank you :)