Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

Awe! Congratulations on the babies. :)

Thank you :) I just found another one too, so with the couple I found this afternoon it's up to 8 or 9 now! I'm going to save as many as I can since I'm starting with fewer. :)

eta: and another...

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Babies are on the move this morning! I saw teeny tiny pectoral fins on one of them last night. :o

I upgraded to next-day shipping on the bbs eggs, so that should be here today and I can get the hatchery going. :scared

The things about this whole fry process that make me nervous are:

all aspects of the bbs hatchery

keeping up with food demand

keeping the water clean without losing or injuring any fry

I'm excited about it, just nervous about these things, and not wanting to mess up - I don't DO failure... :teehee

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

I agree that you want the live bbs as opposed to the adult shrimp. Frozen is okay, but live is better. It's fun to watch them chase the shrimp, too :)

I would hold off on salt and Prazi until they are a little older. So, when you do their water change today, don't replace the salt and Prazi.

I agree that you want the live bbs as opposed to the adult shrimp. Frozen is okay, but live is better. It's fun to watch them chase the shrimp, too :)

I would hold off on salt and Prazi until they are a little older. So, when you do their water change today, don't replace the salt and Prazi.

Thank you!

I have the bbs hatchery all set up and I'm waiting impatiently on UPS now.

I know I'm supposed to be doing a 100% wc... how? :scared I guess I'm not sure if my turkey baster method of moving them is really ok - or if I'm risking damaging them?

UPS just arrived!

Thank you!

I know I'm supposed to be doing a 100% wc... how? :scared I guess I'm not sure if my turkey baster method of moving them is really ok - or if I'm risking damaging them?

UPS just arrived!

Do as close as you possibly can just using a piece of airline tubing like a siphon. Just make sure to watch where your babies are. This is how I did my WCs until the babies were old enough that I could easily see them to move them, and then I just did the bowl-to-bowl (bucket to bucket) method from there on in.

Thank you!

UPS just arrived!

Do as close as you possibly can just using a piece of airline tubing like a siphon. Just make sure to watch where your babies are. This is how I did my WCs until the babies were old enough that I could easily see them to move them, and then I just did the bowl-to-bowl (bucket to bucket) method from there on in.

Got it, thank you!

:hmm. I'll have to look at my Waldo thread and see how d he was when I noticed pectoral fins.

I know I prazied (no salt) him and added an air stone at one week. :)

:hmm. I'll have to look at my Waldo thread and see how d he was when I noticed pectoral fins.

I know I prazied (no salt) him and added an air stone at one week. :)

Thanks! Was it your thread where I read someone used the parents' tank water for water changes? I'd really like to do that, for the fact that it's aged and at temp! But if it's just too soon, I won't.

Also I had just finished my last round of prazi on the parents and did the 50% wc (replaced salt at .1% but no prazi) right before I found the fry Sunday night. So the salt will be decreasing in the parent's tank now...

Lots of new pics! Video will hopefully be ready later tonight. :)IMG_7298_zps0387ea72.jpg?t=1409084874

IMG_7295_zps8a2687cb.jpg?t=1409084946

IMG_7294_zpsb0facd8b.jpg

IMG_7293_zps91bafe5e.jpg

IMG_7291_zps88e39481.jpg

IMG_7290_zpsa7a61886.jpg

It is so exciting to see when people have new fry! :D:nana This will be interesting to see them grow :goodluck

It is so exciting to see when people have new fry! :D:nana This will be interesting to see them grow :goodluck

Thank you, I'm really excited too. :) After I took these pictures I realized it's hard to tell scale, so I put a dime under the tank for next time, so it will be easier to see how much they've grown. :)

Video! I waited and waited hoping I'd get to see them go for the algae, but they never did.

After I put the dime under the tank for scale. :)

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Just started my second hatchery for the overlapping 12 hours thing...

IMG_73011_zps75b3caa7.jpg?t=1409019910

My Aquatic Tip

I decided to check the filter in the parents' tank for fry tonight, mostly for entertainment value. :lol2

... and I found 4 "Filter Refugee Fry" :thud ...and then one more in the tank when I was done.

So I'm up to 14-15 now. The new ones from tonight seem younger, because they're clinging to the glass instead of swimming.

Video! I waited and waited hoping I'd get to see them go for the algae, but they never did.

After I put the dime under the tank for scale. :)

Noooo! I found some really odd wormy things in my tank a few months ago and I siphoned them and flushed them. I now realize they were fry!! :yikes I had seen a fry before, but it was much larger and more developed. I had assumed it was newly hatched. I now realize it was older. Now I feel like a terrible fish mommy. :(

But congrats on your fry. They look great! Thanks for the scale video!!

Noooo! I found some really odd wormy things in my tank a few months ago and I siphoned them and flushed them. I now realize they were fry!! :yikes I had seen a fry before, but it was much larger and more developed. I had assumed it was newly hatched. I now realize it was older. Now I feel like a terrible fish mommy. :(

Oh I'm sorry Bronwyn! Maybe since it happened once, it will happen again for you in the future. :)

I do wish I had been more prepared. But there's been chasing with this little mama for a long time, so I had pretty much written off anything happening. And never seeing any eggs reinforced that. Oh the commotion the night I saw the first one. :rofl

The brine shrimp eggs I got don't expire until 2017, so after this happening I would consider that something to just have on hand for pretty much anyone who has even the remotest interest! :)

Oh I'm sorry Bronwyn! Maybe since it happened once, it will happen again for you in the future. :)

I do wish I had been more prepared. But there's been chasing with this little mama for a long time, so I had pretty much written off anything happening. And never seeing any eggs reinforced that. Oh the commotion the night I saw the first one. :rofl

The brine shrimp eggs I got don't expire until 2017, so after this happening I would consider that something to just have on hand for pretty much anyone who has even the remotest interest! :)

Maybe once my baby snails are grown up my goldfish will humour me and lay eggs again! :)

Congrats on the fry. Ill be following this thread and looking for updates. If you manage to keep them alive (no reason you wouldn't) these will be fish you will treasure because you raised them from little tiny sticks with eyes.

Breathing a little easier this morning - I got to see one of the fry picking at the algae I put in! :happydance Too slow with the camera though...

If you just float some plants in there they'll usually pick at it all day long.

Does this make me the granddad on the fathers side lol.

yay.gifThe bbs hatched, and they're eating them! yay.gif

Awe! :clapping:

Edited by 4prettyfish

Does this make me the granddad on the fathers side lol.

Yes! :) I am soo curious what they're going to look like! I'm really glad it was him and not my fantail, fingers crossed for some cute tele babies! You don't happen to know what his parents looked like, do you? :whistle

Repashy Spawn & Grow just got here

Edited by SweetMamaKaty