Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

It's been awhile since I posted any new pictures.  I didn't think they were growing much until I had them in the bucket tonight - I can tell now!

IMG_8708_zpsfe28168b.jpg?t=1421121260

They are doing so well and look so good! Great job :D I love them :wub:

They are beautiful Kathleen!! I love them all!! :) 

Kathleen, they are simply perfect.  You should enter them in some sort of show.

The one at 3:00 is just :wub:

Thank you all! :)  I had thought of taking them to the AGA show in August, and still might, but I'm sure they will point out flaws and I'm not sure I want to know. :teehee  It would be a cool experience though, so I'm not writing it off yet!

Wow, they look great!! :wub:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Thank you all! :)  I had thought of taking them to the AGA show in August, and still might, but I'm sure they will point out flaws and I'm not sure I want to know. :teehee  It would be a cool experience though, so I'm not writing it off yet!

Do it!!

New video!  I moved them into a 55 gallon yesterday, and they actually don't look as tiny in there as I expected.

The background and plant situation is not permanent, I just couldn't leave it completely bare. :)

Wow! Look at those tails! Beautiful fishies. I love the music choice. They are cultured fishies! :)

Holy crap! Dem tails!

How old are they now?

So beautiful I love them! My favorite is the lightest coppery colored one :wub:

Thanks everyone. :)  A couple of them do have crazy long tails. :teehee   And the light one is one of my favorites too!  They are just about a week shy of six months old.  I'm hoping they get a lot bigger in this tank!

Kathleen.  Seriously. Incredible.

Excellent! What is your feeding routine like?

Oh my gosh Kathleen, I've not looked at this thread for ages, and I just had a quick catch up now and was like  :yikes they've turned into proper fishies!! And incredibly beautiful ones at that!

You've done such a great job with them, you should be really proud of yourself :)

They look fantastic!  You did awesome (and Finley and Franklin did too :) ).

Oops, I see just now I missed a handful of posts here, I'm sorry! :hide:

Hinfin, I'm still only doing 1-2 feedings a day, Omega One pellets with occasional bloodworms or peas.  Do you think I can/should up the feedings now that they're in the 55 gallon tank?  They have not had trouble with floating anymore, but the growth has definitely slowed down.

Kate and Kayla, thank you both so much. :)

And drumroll please... the long awaited (and much bemoaned) color change has finally begun!

IMG_9485_zpsnmvpvxwq.jpg

IMG_9478_zpscssojaok.jpg

IMG_9474_zpsbwu4ia8a.jpg

Hinfin, I'm still only doing 1-2 feedings a day, Omega One pellets with occasional bloodworms or peas.  Do you think I can/should up the feedings now that they're in the 55 gallon tank?  They have not had trouble with floating anymore, but the growth has definitely slowed down.

I think its allright to slow them down a bit after fry stage, it seems to me they adjust better to a 'normal' aquarium setup that way. What you could consider is trying to find a growth chart, just to get a general idea what their potential size would be like as an adult. After fry stage i also slow them down a bit, also to deselect those that develop intestinal problems. The final selection will need plenty of space in the growout fase. With last years ranchu i started growout with about 10 gallon per fish but i think i will try with much more this time with the oranda. The growout fase is what will produce the adult size you are aiming to accomplish.

Just my thoughts though,

Your fish look great and gratz on the colour change!

That are just fabulous! And the tail of that mostly black one! :thud

Love that first one with the long fins.

That are just fabulous! And the tail of that mostly black one! :thud

Thank you :) 

I know at some point I should probably stop posting here, but I like having it all together.  :teehee  I guess I could link to a photo or video thread...