Planted Tank Stuff

marka83

I have two shubunkins and they are doing very well. As the plants grow I identify the ones that aren't competing well and pull them out, in an attempt to make the tank more swimmable. I cut some tunnels behind this crypt for them to swim through, and that little crypt on the left in the corner was pulled out.

They fancy one particular sword that they chew to bits. The other couldn't handle the nipping so I pulled it out too.

They spend most of their time rummaging around the base of the plants, but I'm growing concerned about the gravel. Debating upgrading and relocating the tank to a different wall, switch to sand, with a less dense plant environment.

I have two shubunkins and they are doing very well. As the plants grow I identify the ones that aren't competing well and pull them out, in an attempt to make the tank more swimmable. I cut some tunnels behind this crypt for them to swim through, and that little crypt on the left in the corner was pulled out.

They fancy one particular sword that they chew to bits. The other couldn't handle the nipping so I pulled it out too.

They spend most of their time rummaging around the base of the plants, but I'm growing concerned about the gravel. Debating upgrading and relocating the tank to a different wall, switch to sand, with a less dense plant environment.

I understand your reasoning, but it would be heartbreaking to tear down this beautiful tank! :o

Btw, I recently ordered some plants, and your crypt inspired me to try some new plants. :)

I understand your reasoning, but it would be heartbreaking to tear down this beautiful tank! :o

Btw, I recently ordered some plants, and your crypt inspired me to try some new plants. :)

Sweet! I like the texture and color of the leaves on this plant. You should have no issues growing a range a crypts. They melt a little, but just pay attention to new growth, don't fret about the old leaves that may not look too hot lol. Can wait to see some picks of your new plants.

Planted tank project is brewing. My roommate found a DIY arduino controlled dosing system online. He wants to install it on the 100 gallon saltwater tank because he has like seven bottles of stuff to dose. Anyway, he figured I'd want to make one too, and I'm a little better with electronics hardware and he is light-years better than me on the programming side.

Well the schematics the tutorial gave wouldn't work on our test circuit. So I figured it out. This is just one pump.

20140922_105811_zpstgx1dkue.jpg

When it's done, a script on the arduino will control the dosing automatically. Once we get through all the bugs I'll post a write up in the DIY section. Here's the test phase and the arduino hidden under a breakout board.

20140922_105847_zpsvlgt5ims.jpg

20140923_223940_zpsmpx9ktpd.jpg

Okay, Mr. Electrical Engineer: I'm impressed! Even if you fried a board. I don't know enough about electrical circuitry to even attempt frying a board let alone create something functional.

Thanks! Let's see if we can get it all together as a functioning system. Fingers crossed.

I had a basic, very very very basic, understanding of electronics from way back. What we have here was partially following some vague directions on this blog, research, and trial and error (fried board and a few fried transistors).

The biggest hurdle was figuring out 1) how to properly use the transistor, 2) how to make the transistor turn off after doing what we wanted.

The blog had a schematic to follow but it didn't make complete sense and we were modifying it slightly (using an alternate source for 5V power).