Planted Tank Stuff

marka83

Hey all, today is my water change day and decided to trim the plants. They were/are unruly. I took some pics of what I try to do when I trim plants. The tank is heavily planted and I have two Shubies in there. To maximize fun, I try to cut little swim tunnels between plants that they can explore.

That's Big Cindy Fish sifting the gravel for snacks in the background.

20140824_092607_zpsqg2k7ktp.jpg

Other side of the tank. These tunnels run along the length of the tank in front of the background Amazon Swords.

20140824_100453_zpstunmor22.jpg

My favorite Crypt, photo bombed by Little Cindy Fish (she is a he)

20140824_100711_zps6rvsl998.jpg

Shameless begging

20140824_100919_zpsjv6lp5hh.jpg

Have to cut this out every two to three weeks. EI dosing, CO2, high light....

20140824_100658_zpspj84otg5.jpg

They started eating the Swords. This is what it looks when goldfish eat swords like chicken kabobs. The culprit in the background.

20140824_094506_zpscgfxmqeh.jpg

The tank...

20140824_102057_zpskudovegu.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

You have a Big Cindy Fish and a Little Cindy Fish? :laugh: Too cute of names.

Your tank is gorgeous. How fun for you to think of them while trimming your plants as in ways to make it an adventure and fun for them as they explore.

Absolutely awesome! :clapping: your tank looks fab! That crypt is ginormous :o I will take it off your hands for you :)

Your shubunkin is pretty but naughty and needs a :wa for eating your swords :no:

That is so beautiful! I especially love your crypt, and I'm not even a big fan of crypts! Most are too sparse-looking to me, but yours is very full and gorgeous! :)

That is so beautiful! I especially love your crypt, and I'm not even a big fan of crypts! Most are too sparse-looking to me, but yours is very full and gorgeous! :)

Thanks everybody! Yeah it took like six months for tj e crypts to fill in like that. The big one had room to spread like that, the others I planted to close to the glass or were shaded by the swords. I'm battling GSA... hair algae has been handled but the GSA won't leave me be.

Yeah, finding that right formula of ferts, co2, and lighting to minimize algae keeps one busy! I admire you for doing this. I've taken the easy route: Anubias on rocks and driftwood, so when the algae gets to be too much I can just bleach the anubias and voila! nice clean, green anubias. I do EI ferts with excel. One day though, I want to do what you are doing because I'll have more option to grow an interesting aquascape.

What size tank are you working with?

This is a 47 gallon breeder. When I was planning this tank, I was expecting fancies and less plants. Then more plants happened. The shubunkins have the skill to navigate the tank, but I would have went for a four foot tank at this volume.

Really beautiful tank. I would sit watching it all day.

I do that everyday. Or at least I try. I'll take my coffee or tea in front of tank. I wrote part of my master's thesis in front of it lol. I would say it's nice to watch them swim, but they just beg incessantly. [emoji1] Edited by marka83

• 4 weeks later...