Draining Tank with Pump and Python?

• Supporter

Hi I know i saw this somewhere here but I can't find it

How do I go about setting my python to drain using a pond pump? I don't have one yet but I feel like I'm wasting a ton of water now I have this 150 gallon tank.

If someone can link me or post here how about to set it up to drain with a pump instead of wasting water to drain it (which still takes forever anyway) that would be great!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Also I forgot tot put this in my OP but can you still vac the gravel while using the pump? And if there is a set up with pictures that would be great because I'm a very visual person :P

You'll need to use a gravel vac, the pump is for filling and draining. Basically you just attach the appropriately sized (diameter) hose on the pump output. That's it, it's really simple. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118541-best-water-changers/

Yup, you just have to find a hose that works with the pond pump. Sometimes pond pumps come with more than one sized attachment so you can use a hose you already have. If not, you can most likely find one that's compatible at hardware stores, just bring the pond pump or its hose attachment if it's detachable. :nana

I couldn't use any existing hose so I brought the spout attachment thing with me and found two hoses, linking them together with a lead-free brass splicer so that they could reach the bathtub safely. :)

Edited by Chai

You can't siphon debris with a pond pump. It might pick some up if they are floating around the input, but the stubborn poops and things that accumulate in the corners, no. You'll need to manually vacuum them with a siphon.

You can either use a small gravel vacuum and just suck up all the poop into a bucket (you may need to do this a few times since your tank is so big now) or just hook up your python to the sink and begin draining as you normally would and quickly suck up all the debris and then turn it off. Then you insert your pump and drain the rest of the tank.

To refill, simply attach your python to the sink and turn on the tap and refill. (conditioning your tank beforehand, of course! :P )

Also check out this thread, it has some pictures on how it's done.

• Supporter

Thanks. So ill need to vac the gravel as I've been doing with the python but once that's done I could attach the pump? My python itself works great for filling just emptying my new tank is very slow.

Yup. :D Using buckets and manual siphons will assure that absolutely no water will be wasted, but using the python would probably be a bit faster and easier. After that, suction your pump onto the wall of the tank, with the tubing attached and running into the sink, and plug it in. Then sit back and relax! When you feel you've drained enough, unplug it, remove the pump from the tubing, and start rolling your tubing up to go back to storage.

*********VERY important: Always check up on the pump while you are draining, because it does run on electricity, and if you forget it and it begins to run dry, it will ruin the pump and possibly cause a fire or electric shock!

Thanks. So ill need to vac the gravel as I've been doing with the python but once that's done I could attach the pump? My python itself works great for filling just emptying my new tank is very slow.

I'd probably just get separate tubing as it can be difficult to remove from the pump if it's a good fit. :teehee

I have a very short siphon for cleaning the sand, though. Just one of those cheapo ones. :idont

Edited by Chai

• Supporter

Well I definetly don't want to use buckets to clean the gravel it would take a ton of buckets! I also have weight limits that im allowed to carry which is why i got the python in the first place. :( But I also don't really want to go buy more tubing when I spent so much on the pyhton itself :( is it really that hard to just remove the hose from the gravel tube and onto the pump and vice versa?

I normally use the tap outside and even with it on the ground its very slow without the tap running

But like if I could use the python normally to vac the gravel and then attach the pump I'd be happy with that

Edited by FishyMandy

I use gravity or the pond pump to drain mine. Gravity is better because then I can vacuum. I agree that using the Python for draining the tank (by running the water) is a huge waste of water. It bothered me a lot, and I stopped doing it. :(

Well I definetly don't want to use buckets to clean the gravel it would take a ton of buckets! I also have weight limits that im allowed to carry which is why i got the python in the first place. :( But I also don't really want to go buy more tubing when I spent so much on the pyhton itself :( is it really that hard to just remove the hose from the gravel tube and onto the pump and vice versa?

I normally use the tap outside and even with it on the ground its very slow without the tap running

But like if I could use the python normally to vac the gravel and then attach the pump I'd be happy with that

Why would it take so many buckets? :yikes

It wouldn't be too difficult, nah. I just thought it would be easier to suggest two different things instead of connecting and reconnecting. :hug I have weight limits as well, which is why I bought the pump. :bighug

I use a 50 ft $9 hose from walmart to hook to my pond pump. I just cut off one end. It can be tough to pull off once it's attached to the hose adapter on the pump, but it just takes a little elbow grease.

• Supporter

I end up emptying about 50 Litres I'd say when I vac the gravel xD

I think I'll try doing the gravel normally and then attaching to the pump to drain the rest of it, if I have too much trouble getting the hose on and off I'll buy another piece (Unfortunately these things cost more here than over in the US, we don't have WalMart!)

What about something like this to vacuum out the debris? It runs on batteries to suck the stuff into a mesh holding bag without removing any water.Then you can use the pond pump to empty the water.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-Aquarium-Maintenance-Mr-Cleaner-Battery-Operated-Gravel-Siphon-/130677360412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6cfa471c

Just to clarify what several people have said about using "gravity" to drain out your tank using your python: Instead of attaching the python to the faucet (inside or outside), just stick that end of the python out the window or the door into the yard. Then vacuum the gravel with your python as usual. Because one end of the python is lower than the end that is vacuuming the tank, the force of gravity will keep the suction going.

When I'm done vaccuuming the tank, I clip the vacuum end of the python to the tank but out of the water. I then make sure as much of the water in the tube has drained out of the python--I do this by lifting portions of the python to move the stuck water along the tube. When I do this, I make sure to not have the python water control in the "open" position. If it is in the "closed" position, it is hard to move stuck water in the tube.

When I've gotten as much tank water as I can out of the python, I then turn the python water control into the "closed" position. I then make sure that the part of the python I clipped onto the tank is really stable. Then I attach the portion of the python that was out the door to the indoor faucet. Then the rest you know.

I just wanted to explain how to use the force of gravity with your python to drain your tank in order to avoid having to use a pond pump and extra hose. If you already knew this, then do know that I didn't mean to belittle you in any way by this explanation. I just thought previous posts by well meaning people may not have fully described how to use your python to drain by using gravity.

Now, if my post confuses you, please let me know and I'll try to explain further.

Yeah, I just use gravity to drain my tank too - I don't see the need to buy a secondary device. But I screw my Python in and turn the water on to start the draining, then after it gets going I go back outside and turn the faucet off. It continues to drain. I haven't tried what Lisa suggested about not screwing it into the faucet at all; I'll have to try that during my water change tomorrow. [emoji4]

This doesn't work at my boyfriend's apartment, since his sink is the same height as the tanks and there is no outdoor area to drain the water. I use the faucet on the patio at my condo, which is considerably lower than the tank (which is on a stand).

• Supporter

I actually tried using gravity, just running it outside and it was the slowness that got to me @_@ I think it would work great if I live in a high building or something but yea, just from the tank to the ground pretty much, and though my tank is pretty high by the time the hose reaches outside it doesn't seem to be flowing much at all. I always used my outside faucet until last week when I finally got an adapter for my kitchen sink (Mainly so it summer when the tank warms up I can try and match the temp better when refilling)

I guess I'm just looking for a way to make the water changes quicker without wasting water which is why I thought of the pump. I did try just hanging the hose out the door lol

I actually tried using gravity, just running it outside and it was the slowness that got to me @_@ I think it would work great if I live in a high building or something but yea, just from the tank to the ground pretty much, and though my tank is pretty high by the time the hose reaches outside it doesn't seem to be flowing much at all. I always used my outside faucet until last week when I finally got an adapter for my kitchen sink (Mainly so it summer when the tank warms up I can try and match the temp better when refilling)

I guess I'm just looking for a way to make the water changes quicker without wasting water which is why I thought of the pump. I did try just hanging the hose out the door lol

I have the same problem ... maybe it is worth buying a pump lol. Do you just hook it up to the Python?

I did not read all responses in this thread, so I apologize if I am restating what has already been said

What I do is basically attach my pond pump to my water changer. So I do all my vacuuming with the water changer, when I've done vacuuming I take the plastic vacuum attachment off the tubing and attach my pond pump to it - this way the pond pump pushes water directly through the python into the sink. When I'm ready to fill I just unplug the pond pump, leave it attached and turn on the tap. I am actually editing a video of this right now. I can PM you when it's up if you want.

I have the same problem ... maybe it is worth buying a pump lol. Do you just hook it up to the Python?

yes :D

I did not read all responses in this thread, so I apologize if I am restating what has already been said

What I do is basically attach my pond pump to my water changer. So I do all my vacuuming with the water changer, when I've done vacuuming I take the plastic vacuum attachment off the tubing and attach my pond pump to it - this way the pond pump pushes water directly through the python into the sink. When I'm ready to fill I just unplug the pond pump, leave it attached and turn on the tap. I am actually editing a video of this right now. I can PM you when it's up if you want.

yes :D

Thanks Jess ... can you please PM the video to me as well? Thanks [emoji1]