My Oranda rests doing a headstand? should I be worried?

Please fill out this form as best you can. I'm sorry your fish isn't feeling well.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

water is all fine, my tap water comes out perfect. its a 20 gal with inbuilt filter, there is a few more fish than there should be in there because i was forced to rescue some from a friends tropical tank but they're going in a 6ft in a few days. i do a water change 25% every 3 days because it is overstocked and add water conditioner. I feed them sinking food by Spectrum, i added a half dose of prime about 2 weeks ago and a half dose of multi cure when i added some new fish as directed by the aquarium shop i went to just in case these new fish i got from my friend came with anything. but my oranda has always done this ever since i got her. she swims around normal all day, nothing odd about her at all, she just leans forward when she sleeps and i wasn't sure if someone else has heard this before or its just something odd she does.

• Supporter

nope, she shouldn't be leaning forward. please test the water and answer all the questions that Mikey pasted for you a few posts ago.

does she 'sleep' often? ie, even when there is light from the overhead lights in the tank or room light?

goldfish have a patterned lateral line on either side of their body.. that line should be horizontal most times. only when they are swimming up and down should that line appear diagonal or vertical. when they are idle, like sleeping, that line should be horizontal.

GFT,

I would first get control of this tank and its inhabitants. Most likely, this is simply a weird habit but many things are happening in this tank that should be corrected for long-term stability.

As you know, the 20 gal is really only suitable for her and I have seen some odd behaviour from my only fish when I most likely overdosed with Prime a couple of times (and it is nearly impossible to get a correct dose on 25% of a 20 gallon). It is more effective to do large water changes less frequently than it is to do small water changes frequently. I change about 90% every week now with 1 fish (and two snails) in 144litres. Previously, I changed 50 one week, 90 the next, but the fish has grown.

You also probably suspect that the rescues shouldn't have been placed in this tank. They could easily have brought diseases into the existing system (even if they didn't look sick).

The inbuilt filter might be fine for now, but most are underpowered for the size of their tanks. You may want to look into a second filter for the tank.

Pictures would help us offer more specific advice :)

i didn't have much a choice when it came to the rescues. i have one tank and they were being bullied in their previous owners tanks as well as tropical being the compete wrong temp for goldfish she was going to flush them because she couldn't watch the others bully them and so i said id take them. and they're not staying in this tank, i just got off the phone to my dad and my 6ft tank will be set up on the weekend.

ultimately i just wanted to find out if anyone had heard of this before, she sleeps at normal times other than her peculiar way of sleeping she is a normal fish.

I understand what you are saying, but knowing if anyone else has a fish that does this isn't really going to help you figure out if this is normal behaviour for your fish. The quick answer is - yes, I have a friend with a very large wenned fish that does seem to rest head down. This seems to be unusual behaviour and she worries about it sometimes but he seems otherwise healthy.

From what I can see in your picture, your fish does not have a large enough wen for this to be a plausible explanation. That doesn't mean your fish is sick, but it does mean that the behaviour is even more unusual. I don't know any small wenned goldfish with this behaviour.

Do you always have 0 nitrates? That is unusual in a small cycled tank with a lot of fish.

Filling out more of the info from the questionnaire and giving us some whole tank pics could help the moderators help you decided if there really is wrong with your sweet fishie or if she is just a very unusual sleeper. :)

http://****-----.tumblr.com/post/93862743736/earthserenity-new-tank-is-ordered-for-the

^^ thats the tank.

nitrates jump a tad every now and then but because I've been doing water changes more often because i have an overstocked tank they've stayed at 0 most of the time (my tap water comes out at perfect levels)

I've had my oranda for about 4 months i think, i only got the rescues two weeks ago and she has always done this since i got her so the rescues presence isnt whats causing it.

i use a master test kit (drops) and its temp sits at 18 degrees celcius usually, sometimes 19/20 degrees.

Edited by goldfishtranquility

Oh, I don't think the rescues have caused the behaviour. I'm a little wary of rescuing in general because of the danger of cross-contamination, but I understand that it is sort of a personality quirk. Still, its always a gamble to put fish together from two separate environments.

Do you have a picture of the tank as it appears now? You might want to change the name on the link if possible too :)