Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

Gumdrop got stuck in the siphon tube!

As some of you know, I'm having trouble with my water.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118583-tested-my-water-today-before-adding-baking-soda-and-its-bad/

I was in the midsts of a wc just now and saw that Gumdrop was stuck face first in the tube. I panicked and tried to shake him out, but he wouldn't come unstuck. Eventually, he fell out of the tube. but he looks banged up around his face and belly, :( I tried getting a vid, but he kept swimming away from me, so not sure how it came out. I have to upload it still. Now I'm wondering if I have to set him up in a qt?! :( The calico is still in there.

He's alone in the main tank right now? After several large WCs? The important thing is to keep his water good and clean. With the water issues you're having you'll need to test daily and do WCs as needed.

Once we see the video we can help more. :)

No, Peach Blossom is in there with him.

PB is hiding behind the vase thingy, usually they are side by side.

Right after it happened, I stopped doing the wc, , it was a little more than half way empty. I filled it back up and got the vid.

Not sure what all the stuff is floating around, think it might be form inside the vase/pot from when I was pouring water back in.

Don't mind my whining. :hide:

Edited by TikiLola

I am SO sorry :( I can hear how upset you are in your voice :(:hug

He actually looks pretty good in the video. I couldn't tell how is stomach looked from the video except that he has a few loose scales. Is there any significant redness or anything like that? I hate to ask you to handle him to take pics right now considering he's probably already really stressed.

Like Lisa said water changes and keeping the water in really good condition is probably the best course of action right now. I was going to suggest a QT tank because I assumed he wouldn't be active and I wanted to give him a place to rest by himself, but after seeing him, I think you could go either way, QT or leave him in the main tank.

5 minutes before he got stuck:

I am SO sorry :( I can hear how upset you are in your voice :(:hug

He actually looks pretty good in the video. I couldn't tell how is stomach looked from the video except that he has a few loose scales. Is there any significant redness or anything like that? I hate to ask you to handle him to take pics right now considering he's probably already really stressed.

Like Lisa said water changes and keeping the water in really good condition is probably the best course of action right now. I was going to suggest a QT tank because I assumed he wouldn't be active and I wanted to give him a place to rest by himself, but after seeing him, I think you could go either way, QT or leave him in the main tank.

The only redness I could see was on his forehead, 2 spots looked bloody. His belly looked like scales were hanging off. He was stuck face first and I think I shook him out. :yikes

I'll see if I can get another vid.

:hug

I agree with Jess. He doesn't look bad. The reason we QT is to provide pristine water conditions and to avoid any other fish from bothering them. You can monitor his water closely and PB didn't look like she was even thinking about bothering Gumdrop. :teehee

Of course the other reason to QT would be treating with meds but I don't think that is necessary right now. How soon til calico is ready for the main tank?

I've had this happen before and my fish was fine with just clean water. Now I use the soft mesh Biomax bags or a piece of fish net and a rubber band to cover the ends of my siphons. I'm sure he will be fine :hug

I'm sorry. It happens, and many fish are fine afterward. :hug Don't beat yourself up.

:hug

I agree with Jess. He doesn't look bad. The reason we QT is to provide pristine water conditions and to avoid any other fish from bothering them. You can monitor his water closely and PB didn't look like she was even thinking about bothering Gumdrop. :teehee

Of course the other reason to QT would be treating with meds but I don't think that is necessary right now. How soon til calico is ready for the main tank?

Was supposed to be Saturday, but I don't know if that will happen. The water in Gumdrop's tank has/had really bad ammonia & nitrates,that's why I was doing a second WC today. The last WC was Sunday so shouldn't have been so bad. The Calico's ammonia id 0-.25and nitrates are 0. My tap had 5.ppm nitrates when I tested it today.

I'd definitely let the cycle stabilize in the main tank before adding the new fish. You might be doing daily WCs for a while. But I know you can handle it. :flex:

Do you think it's ok for Gumdrop to stay in there while the cycle stabilizes?

I'd definitely let the cycle stabilize in the main tank before adding the new fish. You might be doing daily WCs for a while. But I know you can handle it. :flex:

Absolutely!

Oh poor Gumdrop! But he looks pretty good for going through that ordeal. Sorry you feel so worried :k055: Hope Gumdrop is feeling a bit better by tomorrow :hug

Is it ok to feed them?

When I get close to the tank, they both are hiding from me, so I got this craptastic vid from my bed.They do this when they want food!

I'm so glad Gumdrop seems to be fine. I was expecting the worst, and then I played the video! He looks remarkably well for being through such an ordeal. You are very lucky.

I do the same thing as Jared with the end of the tube, but I use a filter bag cut in a square and secure it to the tube with a rubber band. I cut three ~3/4-inch holes in it so that I can still get the larger debris. I didn't used to use anything, and it certainly gives me peace of mind now knowing the fish can't get sucked up.

I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

I hope gumdrop gets better :)

Get well soon, little doll!

You can feed lightly. Gumdrop can stay in there cuz you are right on top of the water. :)

I'm sorry this happened when you're already stressing about you tank conditions :(

It's happened to me too :(

It'll be ok! :hug

You are doing a great job taking care of your tank and goldies :bighug

Don't give up or beat yourself up over this.

It happens to more people than you would think.

Hope things are better today.

How many time have you done it, Mike :wa

:rofl

How many time have you done it, Mike :wa

Let's just say, it's an initiation in my tank :hide: