TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

This morning:

A-.25ppm

Na-5.0ppm

Am I reading that right?

Ph:

Kh & Gh:

the Kh is supposed to be blue when you add one drop, but it looks like it starts off yellow, is this normal for low ph?

the Gh is very low too, but at least you can tell it is orange first.:/

So, 2 drops for gh and no drops for kh? :blink:

Edited by TikiLola

:hmm. I've only run the KH test a couple of times. I'm at work. I'll have to look at the instructions once I'm home.

Let's do a 50% WC and add some baking soda to try and keep the pH from dropping so far.

:hmm. I've only run the KH test a couple of times. I'm at work. I'll have to look at the instructions once I'm home.

Let's do a 50% WC and add some baking soda to try and keep the pH from dropping so far.

I should have clarified that that was the tank water, not tap. I'll test the tap water now.

The ph is higher out of the tap.

Could the marimo balls be making the ph drop?

Ok, this is out of the tub. I use the tub to fill the buckets now that I don't fill up 20+ gallon jugs to age the water.

A-0

Na-0

Ph- To me the regular Ph result is the blue on the bottom so I tested the high range ph, I thought it was 7.4, but in the vid it looks like it could be 8.0? :help:

As for the Kh & Gh, it's what it's always been. (usually in the tank too)

So tank is 6.4 and tub is significantly higher . . . Is straight out of the tap that high? :idont

I'd still do about a 50% WC (no more than that). Then test the tank pH. Then add baking soda. :)

So tank is 6.4 and tub is significantly higher . . . Is straight out of the tap that high? :idont

I'd still do about a 50% WC (no more than that). Then test the tank pH. Then add baking soda. :)

Right out of the tub faucet. Usually it looks to be 7.4 though, not 8. :idont

Usually the tank Ph isn't vastly different than the tap. 7.4-7.6 :idont

I'll do a 50%wc when I get home from work tonight.

Edited by TikiLola

Test your tap water pH. If it's closer to your tank pH, use the tap water.

I thought "we" decided you didn't need to age your water. :rofl

Test your tap water pH. If it's closer to your tank pH, use the tap water.

I thought "we" decided you didn't need to age your water. :rofl

:teehee

I have been using the tap water, since "we" discussed it. The reason I was aging the water was because of the ammonia, not the ph.

It was easier to fill the gallon jugs from the kitchen sink.Now that I use buckets, it's easier if I use the tub faucet. (Both the tub and the kitchen sink should have the same ph, right?)

Yep. I thought you meant tub as in tub of water you left out overnight. :doh11:

So,yeah, do about a 50% WC adding baking soda to help keep the pH from dropping down so far.

Yep. I thought you meant tub as in tub of water you left out overnight. :doh11:

So,yeah, do about a 50% WC adding baking soda to help keep the pH from dropping down so far.

How much should I be adding? I originally wanted to start off slow and build up to the final amount.

Chicklet is getting 1 1/2 tsp in her 10 gallon. But, that was from when we were going by the tank ph being 7.4-7.6 and both the gh&kh took one drop for the color to change.

50%wc

the blue was the regular ph test, the brown the high range:

I can't tell which blue, it WAS lighter than the tap. :/

Kh: at least it started off blue this time.

I DID NOT add baking soda yet.

(not sure how much to add) :hide:

Edited by TikiLola

What is the pH in Chiclet's tank with your adding 1.5 tap per 10 gallons? :idont

There really isn't a reason to start off slowly. You're trying to stop your tank from crashing. Why would you want to do that gradually? If you do a 50% WC with your tap, this will raise the pH a bit (as shown in your video). What we're trying to do is keep it at least as high but preferable even raise it a bit post WC. We really need to get that pH up to at least 7. Keep in mind the pH scale is logarithmic, meaning a pH of 6 is 10 times more acidic than a pH of 7. And it's much easier on a fish to handle a rise in pH than a drop . . . . .

Dang it! Only 10 hours later and look at this! :(

I can't really tell what the ph is. :(But the Kh started off yellow again. :( Actually it did have a greenish tint to it.

I added 2 tsp baking soda to start off with. If the 10 gallon gets 1 1/2 tsp, doesn't that mean the 40B should get 6 tsp?

(BUT, that is going by the tap which is 7.6)

Woops! Just saw that you posted. should I just add more baking soda now? I have to leave for work and don't have time for another wc. :( I wanted to add it slowly because I thought changing it too quickly might shock them.

Edited by TikiLola

So you've already added 2 tsp and it's still that low? Go ahead and add 4 more tsp and let's see where that gets ya. :D

So you've already added 2 tsp and it's still that low? Go ahead and add 4 more tsp and let's see where that gets ya. :D

No, I added it after I tested it.

This is Chicklet's tank:

I think the ph is 8.2?

When I tested the kh--I put one drop in to make it blue and then it took 6 drops to turn it yellow.

Sorry! I posted the wrong vid, it is the right one now.

Edited by TikiLola

Tempted to add another tsp baking soda before I go to work....but I'm afraid to at the same time! :doh11:

Do it. I'm out running errands. I'll read up on that KH test later. Did u test your tap pH today?

I didn't do a wc, so no. Should I ? Didn't add anymore baking soda before I left.

I'm doing another ph test on the tank now.

Ph, what would you say the Ph is showing up as?

Tested the ammonia and nitrate also. :thumbup2:

Looking down into the ammonia tube, it was yellow. ;)

Kh--started off blue. Had to add 3 drops for it to turn yellow. (2nd drop turned it green)

Should I be adding more baking soda today? or just test?

I added one more tsp baking soda before I left for work.

Just tested the ph and kh.

Kh took 3 drops to turn yellow.

I'm reading the Ph as 8.0, am I just fooling myself? :hide:

I really can't tell what the ph is. :help:

Maybe I was reading it wrong all along? :no:

Kh took 3 drops to turn yellow.

It looks like it's in the 8ish range to me. The pH is fine but I'd like to see the KH a bit higher. Your pH is about as high as baking soda is able to get it. Now let's add more baking soda and try to get the KH up higher. :D

It looks like it's in the 8ish range to me. The pH is fine but I'd like to see the KH a bit higher. Your pH is about as high as baking soda is able to get it. Now let's add more baking soda and try to get the KH up higher. :D

Yay! There is a total of 3 tsp in there right now. How much more can/should I add? Originally it was going to be a total of 6, do you think I should add 3 more or just 2 for now?