Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

I like that substrate! Are the edges sharp at all?

As for feeding, from what I've read on kokos for dry food about .5-1% of bodyweight and gel food about 2-3% of bodyweight. If you are feeding much more, then maybe that is the nitrate issue. But for it to climb like that in one day makes me suspect that food is not the only problem.

You've cleaned out filters and tap water is not the issue, correct?

I like that substrate! Are the edges sharp at all?

As for feeding, from what I've read on kokos for dry food about .5-1% of bodyweight and gel food about 2-3% of bodyweight. If you are feeding much more, then maybe that is the nitrate issue. But for it to climb like that in one day makes me suspect that food is not the only problem.

You've cleaned out filters and tap water is not the issue, correct?

I cleaned out the AC70 thouroughly. I took off the AC50 and added an Aqueon 55/75 since starting this thread. The fish are pretty small/young. They were 3/5 grams respectively. I don't really know how many pellets that would be each. I haven't tried gel food yet.

The AC50 wasn't working for a few hours, maybe? I initially thought that was the cause. When I took the 50 off, some of the yucky water in the filter spilled into the tank, but that filter wasn't all gunky. When I took off the 70, again some of the water spilled into the tank and that filter was pretty gunky. I suspected that bird poo got into it, but don't know for sure. When the anubias was in 'jars', there was eco complete on the bottom of each, I switched from bare bottom to that substrate. When I took the jars out, yucky stuff had accumulated in them.

At the beginning, I was testing the water constantly (I've only I only stopped a few weeks ago. Before that, everything was good consistently. Ammonia was always between 0-.25, Nitrates and nitrites were always 0.

When I had to do the initial wc, (from the beginning of this thread, my tap was showing nitrates, but that wasn't normal, I'd never seen it before.

The substrate isn't sharp, but it's not soft exactly either.

I've re-read your thread and here's what I'm seeing and thinking: the water parameters were getting much better, then nitrates climbed from 10 to 40 in one day. Some of the things most recently that may have contributed to nitrates climbing quickly was gunky stuff from ac70 getting into tank, possibly bird poop, and gunky stuff from the plant pots. I can't totally tell the timing of these things, but maybe several more water changes (when called for), no more tank changes that may release gunk into the water column, and minimal to no bird poop in the water :) for the next week will get the water parameters back in order. That's my take. Fantailfan1 may have additional thoughts.

Edited by LisaCGold

I really thought bird poop started this off, but I actually added some to some tank water and tested it after 24 hours and the ammonia was dark blue :yikes but the nitrates were between 0 and 5.0 (same as in the tank) :idont

That makes sense to me. If you add bird poop to a container with just tank water, the ammonia would get high and the nitrates would not get high. The beneficial bacteria is not in the water column but mostly in the filter media (which would not be in your test container). Without beneficial bacteria converting ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, the ammonia will remain high. Does this makes sense or did I read your test incorrectly?

Last night's results, I fell asleep before I could get them on YouTube. :rolleyes:

11am:

I fed NLS pellets last night.

I didn't add Prime last night, should I add it now?

I'm going to test again tonight when I get home from work....

Didn't test last night :doh11: But this was just now:

I'm guessing that I should do a wc tonight when I get home from work, but should I add a little Prime now?

Edited by TikiLola

Didn't add Prime before work.

Just added it when I did a 75%Wc just now.

Is it weird that both Gumdrop & Peach Blossom like to go under the flow of water that I am pouring it into the tank, even when it pushes them all over the tank, they come back for more?

Weeeee! Mommy is making water slide!!!

Can I add a little Flourish? I've been holding off since starting this thread...

Waaaahhhhh!!!!!! :cry:cry:cry

The power was out for almost 4 hours! :cry:cry:cry

I poured water in different spots about every half hour and added a battery powered air bubbler after about 2 hours. Gumdrop & Peach Blossom seem fine and I am testing the water again right now. :scared Chicklet, on the other hand was bottom sitting the whole time the filter & bubbler were off. She seemed better once the power came back on, but I did an 80%wc anyway.

Edited by TikiLola

I think/hope it's ok! I'll test again in the morning.

Not sure if I should add Prime or not.:/

Finally remembered to look into the top, would you say 0 or not? :/

Waaaahhhhh!!!!!! :cry:cry:cry

The power was out for almost 4 hours! :cry:cry:cry

I poured water in different spots about every half hour and added a battery powered air bubbler after about 2 hours. Gumdrop & Peach Blossom seem fine and I am testing the water again right now. :scared Chicklet, on the other hand was bottom sitting the whole time the filter & bubbler were off. She seemed better once the power came back on, but I did an 80%wc anyway.

I've had my fish hang at the bottom even if I move the air stone to just another part of the tank. Then when I moved the air stone back to its usual place, they were fine. I think the change in sound freaked them out. Edited by LisaCGold

The formula I've learned here is that if ammonia + nitrite is less than 1.0 but greater than 0.0 AND nitrate is less than or equal to 20 then just add prime. Otherwise water change time. It looks to me that your ammonia < 1.0 but > 0.0 AND nitrate < 20, so just adding prime is fine.

Fell asleep before adding Prime :rolleyes: So was a little worried, but it looks ok, I think?

Should I add Prime today, or hold off? If I was going to get another bump,(from the power being out for a few hours last night) would it have happened already? Should I do another test tonight or just wait til tomorrow?

Ammonia looks more yellow today, or are my eyes deceiving me?:(

Did the media stay wet during the power outage? If so, it shouldn't really affect anything. :D

I would test tonight just to be safe (test ammonia only . . . I'm not too worried about the nitrates in 12 hours or so). I suspect you'll be OK. :D

Did the media stay wet during the power outage? If so, it shouldn't really affect anything. :D

I would test tonight just to be safe (test ammonia only . . . I'm not too worried about the nitrates in 12 hours or so). I suspect you'll be OK. :D

Yeah, they stayed wet.