Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

:hi5 Looks good!! :nana

:hi5 Looks good!! :nana

Hopefully that will follow through in the tank. ;)

You have about .5 ammonia in your tap water?

Also, sorry about the water change from he##! That story should get a prize!

Edited by LisaCGold

You have about .5 ammonia in your tap water?

Also, sorry about the water change from he##! That story should get a prize!

Usually, it is closer to .25;)

The most ridiculous part is that the majority of the trouble was from a 10 gallon tank! :blink:

Came out a little messed up, but yo get the drift. ;)

Looks beautiful!!

Looks beautiful!!

Thanks! I was upset that one of the anubias broke apart, but I was able to spread them out better that way.;)

Looks great!!! :nana

Looks great!!! :nana

Thank you! I can't wait for Chicklet to join them!party.gif

Just tested the tank water.

Should I take another test when I get home? I did a 95% wc around 9-9:30 last night.

Should I add Prime now?

I did check, nitrites are still at 0.

Edited by TikiLola

I'm assuming you added prime at 9ish last night? As long as you do a WC by 9 ish tonight you should be ok. If it will be later than 9 then add a single dose of Prime. :)

I did a 50%wc last night (around 1-2am)

This is the results tonight.

Do I do another wc tonight or add Prime and do another one tomorrow or just test again tomorrow and see where we're at?

Ammonia looks to be 0.50? If so I'd add Prime and test again tomorrow. :)

Tonight's results:

Do I prime again tonight or leave it and test tomorrow?

Is ammonia 0.25. If so, then prime and no WC. If ammonia is 0 just leave it and test tomorrow. :)

Getting there. :nana

It's hard to tell. Looks .25 to me, but it is very rarely obviously 0. (always seems to at least have a slight green twinge) I should have looked down into the tube, but I was so excited about the nitrates, I didn't think of it until I was pouring it down the drain. :doh11:

Good job in getting those nitrates down!!!

Nitrates were high again tonight, I was doing a 50% water change and the AC70 won't restart! :madrant Waaahhh!

:help::help::help:

Sometimes with my ac50, I have to take out the impeller and clean the housing a bit with a Qtip. This usually works for me. Maybe this will work for you if you haven't already tried it.

I can't get the impeller out and am afraid to break something. :( What do you use to pull it out?

Here is a video I found that shows how to unscrew the housing that contains the impeller:

You don't have to worry about silencing the filter (which the video is mostly about), just how to unscrew the housing and how to pull out the impeller.

After you gently pull out the impeller, clean inside the housing with a Qtip. Then put the impeller back in and put housing back on the filter. Put some water in the filter and briefly turn on to see if that worked.

Edited by LisaCGold

Umm..,thanks-33.gif It worked!

Of course, I had to be a 1sm057crazy.gifand mess it up twice! and the second time, I had to break one of the white pieces of the propeller off, but luckily, it still works! There was a small bit of sand on the magnet barrel thingy. I had the filter on when I was refilling the tank. :rolleyes: The stupidest part was, once it was working, instead of turning it back off to add the last bit of water, I left it on and the same thing happened!duh.gif

I'm usually someone who learns from their mistakes, usually right away, like the FIRST time. :rolleyes::doh11::idont

Good to hear that your filter is now working even after a bit of a filter cleaning escapade :yikes You can order a new impeller--that is the great thing about aquaclears.

Your nitrates climb quickly! Just out of curiosity, do you empty the gunk at the bottom of the filter out periodically? Not the biofilm and stuff stuck to the walls (that is good stuff), but the free floating stuff underneath all of the filter media. Also, do you use an plant fertilizers?

Edited by LisaCGold

I wasn't. I was just rinsing the filter pad in tank water. But, when the nitrates and ammonia both were sky high, I totally cleaned it out. .I rinsed everything in tank water and scrubbed the sides and bottom. With all the yucky stuff floating around in there, I thought one of the birds somehow pooped in the filter. :yikes

Last night, when it wasn't working, I scrubbed everything again.

I just added this substrate:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/activ-flora-premium-planted-substrate-floracor-blk-16lb?sc=10&category=2770

Every other wc, I was adding a little Flourish, but haven't done so since this all started.

I did notice poo & pellets collecting under the marimo balls (or stuck to) and got it out with a turkey baster during the wc. Maybe I'm feeding too much? Some days I feel like I baredlt give them anything and then the next day seems like too much. :idont