Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

The tap water had nitrates when I tested it recently. In the past when I tested it, it had 0 nitrates, but the ammonia was always near 25. That's why I would fill empty gallon jugs and use that for water changes, usually within a day or two. Right before this happened, it had been a few days and I did not test it before I put it in the tank. All the recent wc's have been right out of the tap, because I had to do so many and didn't have time to age the water. Yesterday's wc was with aged tap water. I still have a bottle left, I should test that water. I think I might know what caused this to happen in the first place. I'm doing a little experiment to see if I am right.;) Aside from that, it was weird/strange that my tap had nitrates, whenever I tested it in the past, the color was obviously zero.

The ammonia in your tap was 25? Or 0.25?

The tap water had nitrates when I tested it recently. In the past when I tested it, it had 0 nitrates, but the ammonia was always near 25. That's why I would fill empty gallon jugs and use that for water changes, usually within a day or two. Right before this happened, it had been a few days and I did not test it before I put it in the tank. All the recent wc's have been right out of the tap, because I had to do so many and didn't have time to age the water. Yesterday's wc was with aged tap water. I still have a bottle left, I should test that water. I think I might know what caused this to happen in the first place. I'm doing a little experiment to see if I am right. ;) Aside from that, it was weird/strange that my tap had nitrates, whenever I tested it in the past, the color was obviously zero.

The ammonia in your tap was 25? Or 0.25?

0-.25 is normal for my tap. It almost always has at least a tinge of green.

And that is why you use aged water? Or am I missing something? :peeka

todays tap water and day old tap that I used n the tank yesterday:

ammonia barely .25, nitrate 0

tank today, keep in mind I did a wc late last night:

ammonia barely .25, nitrate close to 5.0, oddly looks darker on film than it did in real life

I will test again when I get home tonight.

And that is why you use aged water? Or am I missing something? :peeka

yes, it was because of the ammonia. Everything else was usually 0.

If you use Prime, that amount of ammonia is negligible. :idont

:yikes Sooo, you're saying I've been filling 22+ jugs of water a minimum of once a week, sometimes twice or more for a few months and I didn't have to?!dunce.gif:tomuch:

Edited by TikiLola

:yikes Sooo, you're saying I've been filling 22+ jugs of water a minimum of once a week, sometimes twice or more for a few months and I didn't have to?!dunce.gif:tomuch:

Perfect emoticons!

But, but, but! I thought I read on this very forum that if ammonia wasn't zero, that it's better to use day old tap for wc's?

But, but, but! I thought I read on this very forum that if ammonia wasn't zero, that it's better to use day old tap for wc's?

I've only heard to use aged tap water if ph needs to be adjusted (I think when tap ph is low). If this works for ammonia, I've missed that post.

Edited by LisaCGold

I've only heard to use aged tap water if ph needs to be adjusted (I think when tap ph is low). If this works for ammonia, I've missed that post.

Aging tap water may change the pH. Depends on a few factors. It also will get rid of the chlorine so no need for dechlorinator. :idont

I don't think it does anything for ammonia. Unless you're running it on a fish less tank with a cycled filter that is removing the ammonia. :donthit:

Go buy a Python already. :rofl3

Aging tap water may change the pH. Depends on a few factors. It also will get rid of the chlorine so no need for dechlorinator. :idont

I don't think it does anything for ammonia. Unless you're running it on a fish less tank with a cycled filter that is removing the ammonia. :donthit:

Go buy a Python already. :rofl3

Already have a Python(50ft) But, I don't like it. :hide:

My Ph is 7.4-7.6 But the Gh & Kh are EXTREMELY low, it only takes one drop to change color. Maybe that's what I was thinking of :idont With everything going on lately, I could be mistaken.smiley_slaphead_zps8179a5c4.gif

A-between .25-.50

Na-between 5.-10.

Am I reading that correctly?

Do I do another wc tonight? Or wait to see what tomorrow's reading is? Do I add Prime in the meantime?

No WC. Add Prime and retest tomorrow. You're sure nitrites are 0? :idont

No WC. Add Prime and retest tomorrow. You're sure nitrites are 0? :idont

I'll recheck nitrites when I get home tonight.But, they've been 0 even when the ammonia & nitrates were at their highest

Nitrites tonight:

Edited by TikiLola

I think the nitrates are 40ppm, is that what ya'll see too?

Water change time, right? Would it be horrible if I wait til tomorrow?

Edited by TikiLola

I still can't watch videos but, yes, if nitrate is 40 I'd do a WC tomorrow. :)

I still can't watch videos but, yes, if nitrate is 40 I'd do a WC tomorrow. :)

It's ok to wait?

Yep. You've been testing daily so it hasn't been at 40 for days or weeks. Just be sure to do a fairly large WC tomorrow. :)

Awesome!I'll def do at least 50%, probably closer to 80%. Substrate is supposed to get here tomorrow, can I leave Gumdrop & Peach Blossom in the tank as I add it or would it be better to take them out? I did leave them in there when I added about 1/2 a bag the other day, but this will be much more...

I'd take them out.

95% wc?

Added 4 bags of this:http://www.thatpetplace.com/activ-flora-premium-planted-substrate-floracor-blk-16lb?sc=10&category=2770

(ordered Monday, got here today + free shipping, also got another api master kit $17.80, still good, but last one was $15)

Wanna :cry: one of the Anubias mother plants broke into 3 pieces while floating around the tank the last couple weeks.grumpy_cat.gif

~~~~~~~~~

Now I just have to clean up the floor(bedroom, hall&bathroom) because of my spill and then tracking it back and forth.

I did a 100%wc on the newbie's tank, which I siphoned all over the floor.grumpy_cat.gif Threw a towel on most of it.grumpy_cat.gif

Then, when I went to fill it back up using a 5 gallon bucket instead of gallon jugs (now that I don't have to)I didn't factor in that it is higher than the 40B, and I lost my balance with it and most of it ended up outside of the tank instead of in it!grumpy_cat.gif I then went to move the NLS pellets and it fell on the floor and OPENED right in the puddle I just made.grumpy_cat.gif So,I lost more than half of them as well.grumpy_cat.gif I just threw the wet towel over it and continued onto the 40B. There are 2 kinks in the new (bigger)siphon, so I had to continually hold it. grumpy_cat.gifIt took longer than the smaller one I was previously using.grumpy_cat.gif After I had it refilled and put Gumdrop & PB back in, I took a break. Now, I've gotta go clean up the mess and re-steam the floors, but I don't wanna!grumpy_cat.gif

Edited by TikiLola

The tap right before the wc.