Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

You can double dose Prime and recheck tonight.

Why would you use bottled water vs tap water? :peeka. You'll be changing the water frequently enough to not have to worry about the nitrate.

Because there is nitrates in the tap water and none in the bottled water? If I'm doing frequent wc, it's ok that the tap water has nitrates? What's the point of doing a wc if the tap is as bad as the tank? Please help me understand.:(

Why would you use bottled water vs tap water? :peeka. You'll be changing the water frequently enough to not have to worry about the nitrate.

Because there is nitrates in the tap water and none in the bottled water? If I'm doing frequent wc, it's ok that the tap water has nitrates? What's the point of doing a wc if the tap is as bad as the tank? Please help me understand. :(

If your tank is registering nitrates at 40+, and your tap only has 5-10, then it's just fine to use tap. Using bottled is expensive, and may not necessarily have the right pH/gH/kH that we want.

Lots of members overseas have to combat nitrates of 20+ coming out of the tap. :o

Because there is nitrates in the tap water and none in the bottled water? If I'm doing frequent wc, it's ok that the tap water has nitrates? What's the point of doing a wc if the tap is as bad as the tank? Please help me understand. :(

If your tank is registering nitrates at 40+, and your tap only has 5-10, then it's just fine to use tap. Using bottled is expensive, and may not necessarily have the right pH/gH/kH that we want.

Lots of members overseas have to combat nitrates of 20+ coming out of the tap. :o

Just now:

Tap:

These are the results from the tank and tap this morning. The nitrates look almost the same to me. :hmm:hide::krazy:

Edited by TikiLola

Use your nitrate tester to test a sample from a bottled water, and tell me what you get?

Use your nitrate tester to test a sample from a bottled water, and tell me what you get?

Actual bottled water, not one I filled and left out right? :hide:

You can pour it right out of the bottle, and into the tube. I just want to make sure that your nitrate tester isn't bad. Bottled water should give you a pretty clear zero.

You can pour it right out of the bottle, and into the tube. I just want to make sure that your nitrate tester isn't bad. Bottled water should give you a pretty clear zero.

I meant day old tap.;) It's what I thought then.lol

I'll get on that.

:thumbs:

I had a bad tester once, and this is what Jess had me do to figure it out. :)

While you're getting your cycle back on track and doing daily WCs, having tap nitrates at 20 aren't something I'd worry about. Once you're back to normal and nitrates are accumulating in the tank, then I'd think about other sources. But keeping ammonia and nitrites low is the goal for now. Nitrate at 20 is acceptable in my opinion. :)

:thumbs:

I had a bad tester once, and this is what Jess had me do to figure it out. :)

The bottled water had 0 nitrates

Well, at least you know the tester is good.

I definitely agree with Lisa. Just use your tap water, and don't worry about it. :)

Tested the water when I got home at 10.

Can anyone tell what the nitrates are? Looks any where from 5.0-20ppm to me.. :hummm

Did a big wc, roughly 75% just now.

Before I went to work, I filled about 30 gallon jugs for tomorrows wc.

looking much better! Nitrates are I would say 5-10 range :) and amonia is about .25.

I was going to do a wc tonight, but when I tested the water ammonia was almost zero(very,very light tinge of green) and nitrates are less than 5! :nana Looks yellow, am trying to upload vid now! Should I do the water change anyway or can I wait and see what it is tomorrow?

What do you think?

Edited by TikiLola

Yay! Your cycle bump is smoothing out. I suggest putting in some prime and testing the water tomorrow morning. Take a night off from changing water. You deserve it!

Edit. Oops, I assume your nitrites are zero? If not, then I suggest if ammonia plus nitrites are less than 1.0 then just prime and check tomorrow. If greater than 1.0, then time for water change. All of this I learned from Lisa fantail1!

Edited by LisaCGold

Yes, nitrites are zero. ;)

This was taken with the last vid, but took ridiculously long to upload for some reason.

Ammonia:

Edited by TikiLola

Oooh! So the very slight amount of ammonia you had last night seems to have processed out! Wait for fantail1 to give you further instructions, but you are doing well. Yay!

Is it a bad time to put a new filter on this tank? Should I wait until everything settles down?

What ison there now:

1 Aquaclear 70

1 Aquaclear 50

I wanted to switch the 50 out for another 70 before adding the newbie, but I got an Aqueon 55/75 instead.

With everything that's been going on, do you think it would be ok to switch them out if I add the media from the 50? (Even though I think that's the one that was off for awhile-don't really know how long)

I don't have Internet at home til Wednesday and we are running out of data so I can't watch videos. I'm guessing the numbers are good?

If you can use all your media from your old filter in the new one go ahead and switch it out. You'll need to switch at some point so it might as well be while you're already watching it like a hawk. :)

Ammonia and Nitrates were virtually 0. :)

This evening they weren't as good, but I did skip a wc yesterday.

Ammonia is pretty low(.25), but nitrates were back up to 10ppm(I think) :hide:

Did a 75%wc (with day old water) & switched out the filters.anxious.gif

(Gosh! The Aqueon is a monster! Almost double the width of the AC)13.gif

With the nitrates building up so quickly maybe you want to consider growing some pothos or lucky bamboo out of your tank.

Like Lisa fantailtan1 said, 20ppm for nitrates is not bad. My nitrates hover around 10-20. I do have lots of anubias and some terrestrial plants that do help keep my nitrates at an acceptable level.

Edited by LisaCGold

What water are you using for WCs? Your tap has nitrates, right? Have you been using another source?

The tap water had nitrates when I tested it recently. In the past when I tested it, it had 0 nitrates, but the ammonia was always near 25. That's why I would fill empty gallon jugs and use that for water changes, usually within a day or two. Right before this happened, it had been a few days and I did not test it before I put it in the tank. All the recent wc's have been right out of the tap, because I had to do so many and didn't have time to age the water. Yesterday's wc was with aged tap water. I still have a bottle left, I should test that water. I think I might know what caused this to happen in the first place. I'm doing a little experiment to see if I am right.;) Aside from that, it was weird/strange that my tap had nitrates, whenever I tested it in the past, the color was obviously zero.

With the nitrates building up so quickly maybe you want to consider growing some pothos or lucky bamboo out of your tank.

Like Lisa fantailtan1 said, 20ppm for nitrates is not bad. My nitrates hover around 10-20. I do have lots of anubias and some terrestrial plants that do help keep my nitrates at an acceptable level.

I can't have anything sticking out of the tank, pathos are poisonous and I have birds in that room that would have access to them.

There are 3 large Anubias in there currently.

Good to hear that nitrates from your tap is not a constant issue.