Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

tested my water today before adding baking soda and it's BAD:(

Thought I was just testing to keep track while I added baking soda. But, it was really bad!

I did the last wc Sunday night, so 3 days ago. I didn't test the water in the tank before the wc and I used tap that I had sitting in gallon jugs for the 60%wc.(some had been sitting there for more than a few days)

I haven't tested the water recently in either the tank or tap as it's been the same EVERY TIME. The other night, one of the filters went off at some time during the night, so I don't know if that's what did it or not. I think it's been almost a month since I cleaned the filters(a little too thoroughly maybe?) Don't think it's been quite a month. The last couple wc's, I've been taking the anubias out of the pots I've had them in. There are 3, they are glass, eco complete was in the bottom and glass beads/stones were on top of that. I could see crud accumulating in there and the plants are growing too big for the pots. 2 are floating around in the tank right now and there is still one more in a pot. Don't want to have 3 of them floating around, Gumdrop and PB like to hide/sleep behind the last remaining pot.After getting these results, I immediately did a 90%wc, but I had to use the water right out of the tap (A .25 Ni 0 Na-at least 5.0. Ph-7.6 on the normal one, 7.4 on the high range) Gumdrop and PB haven't been acting weird, but in retrospect, I think Gumdrop was surface gulping. (they like to try and get the pellets as soon as they hit the water, so I thought it was that) Now, they are freaked out because of the wc. I only left enough water in there to cover them. One of the filters was pretty dirty also.

Vid of Tank Ph:

Ammonia & Nitrate :yikes

Gh one drop (I couldn't even tell it was orange)

Gh 2nd drop added

Kh one drop, not blue

Kh 2nd drop

Kh 3rd drop

Ph tap:

Ugggg!!Like I said, I did a wc, but I had to use water right out of the tap, I double dosed Prime, is there anything else I can/should do?

Check your parameters again, after the w/c. You may need to do a second change.

Sending you and the fishes some positive vibes, those were scary colors!

I know when I test the GH and KH the colors are occasionally hard for me to see. I've found the best way is to have all my kitchen lights on, lay a white paper towel on the counter, and then check the color of the tubes while they're laying down on that paper towel. Sometimes its so faint, but against the white it pops a bit more for me. Especially the GH.

I'm very sorry! I hope every thing works out! :bighug

The results are still high, but not as high as the last one. uploading the vid now. I have to leave in 12 minutes. I'm going to do a quick wc and hope thats enough, otherwise I'll do another one when I get back.

Let me know if you need media to seed. I'm always here :hug

Just did a 50%wc, won't have time to test until I get back from work. I'll probably do as close to 100% wc as I can get without taking out the fish when I get back.

Edited by TikiLola

Ugh! So sorry about this. I can imagine the frustration of having to leave and wanting to get this issue under control. :tantrum If it is a cycle bump, you have koko-nuts close who can help seed your filter.

So sorry! That ammonia color was frightening! :scared

If I could have called out, I would have, but after taking off a couple days for the wedding last week, I just can't. Not working Sunday is going to hurt enough. :( Waiting for the timer to go off.

Looks like the ammonia is at 1.0 and the nitrates are at 40ppm. I'm going to do as big a wc as I can.

I got a vid, but I can't post it, since I was dropping a couple F bombs. :ignore

In the midst of doing the wc, I decide to take a vid of the fish, and OF COURSE, the bucket has to over flow! :doh11::madrant

:( sorry your having these issues. That seriously sucks :(

Gumdrop got sucked into the siphon tube!!!!! He's all banged up. I have a vid uploading now.

oh no!!! :(:(

do you have a QT you can set up for him? the fish gods are not on your side right now :(

You should throw some netting over your siphon tube whenever you're able to. You can use the netting from produce bags (oranges etc.) or those bath pouf things. Rubber band the netting around the siphon end.

Gumdrop got sucked into the siphon tube!!!!! He's all banged up. I have a vid uploading now.

do you have a QT you can set up for him? the fish gods are not on your side right now :(

You should throw some netting over your siphon tube whenever you're able to. You can use the netting from produce bags (oranges etc.) or those bath pouf things. Rubber band the netting around the siphon end.

I usually do do that, but I was in such a rush to get this done. Sooo stupid! I have a little calico in the QT tank right now (was supposed to be added to this tank Saturday, before all these issues cropped up!)

I usually do do that, but I was in such a rush to get this done. Sooo stupid! I have a little calico in the QT tank right now (was supposed to be added to this tank Saturday, before all these issues cropped up!)

these things happen! Don't beat yourself up :hug After seeing your video I think you're okay to leave him in the main tank if you want for now, he doesn't look as bad as I thought he might :)

This was before the last WC, right when I got home from work, don't mind my hideous work shirt!

I'm going to test again in a minute.

Just keep doing your w/c's. We all have cycle mishaps, and you should know that you're not alone. :hug The really good thing is that there is some bacteria there, so you aren't starting from scratch. Your cycle will catch up much quicker than it did, when you were first starting up.

What's your nitrite reading?

Just keep doing your w/c's. We all have cycle mishaps, and you should know that you're not alone. :hug The really good thing is that there is some bacteria there, so you aren't starting from scratch. Your cycle will catch up much quicker than it did, when you were first starting up.

What's your nitrite reading?

Nitrite has been 0 this whole time. I fell asleep last night before I could do another reading. I will do that right now.

Thank goodness. :) Keep checking it, and if you start registering a reading, let me know, and we'll add in a little bit of salt to the tank, to help block their effects. :)

Ok, By the way, Gumdrop is still swimming normally.:heart

Woo Hoo!! Glad he seems to be doing well! I had a fish go through my siphon tube and into the bucket, and he is fine.

Just now:

Tap:

So what do I do now? I was going to do a WC, but should I? I'm filling up a few gallons of water for a wc tomorrow, which I will test first.

Should I get some bottled water?

Woo Hoo!! Glad he seems to be doing well! I had a fish go through my siphon tube and into the bucket, and he is fine.

I'm just glad I wasn't using the Python, he would have been a gonner for sure!:( Glad your little guy made it out safe! :heart

You can double dose Prime and recheck tonight.

Why would you use bottled water vs tap water? :peeka. You'll be changing the water frequently enough to not have to worry about the nitrate.