Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Fish Compatibility for New Tank...?

Hello,

I have all the supplies I need for a tropical aquarium.

I know how to cycle the tank/set it up/etc.

I have all the plants and decorations to set it up with plenty of hiding spots and caves.

(I have three tanks available. 10 gallon, 20 gallon long, and 35 gallon...)

What I'm asking right now is what fish that I have listed below are compatible? (Similar temperaments, food & water requirements, and will basically just be able to live together well.)

Mainly interested in these (In groups by possible combinations I'm interested in like I listed below. Really not too picky!):

With all possible groups:

1. Pink Ramshorn Snails (at most 3 - very interested in these!)

2. Ghost Glass Catfish (Fairly interested)

Tetra Group: (Most interested in these!)

1. Von Rio Flame Tetras

2. Long Finned Blushing Skirt Tetras

Other Group: (2nd best choices.)

1. Cherry Barbs / Gold Barbs

2. Rasbora Brigittae

Maybe: (Not very interested but still possible.)

1. Ghost Shrimp

Basically I want fairly inexpensive fish that I can get at a Petsmart or Petco.

As for getting other suggestions:

I'm interested in either clear / glass / transparent fish or red colored fish.

Right now I'm just looking for what will be compatible in terms of getting along together / temperament and in terms of feeding / water needs...

Once I know which fish I'll look into how many of each and any other special care needs.

The tank choices I have (I already own) are 10, 20 gallon long, or a 35 gallon.

Thanks soo much!

-Elaine Selene

Yes, those are compatible :)

Barbs can be nippy. It really depends on the specific fish and if the have enough room.

The ghost glass cats are a bit shy. So it's best to have some plants and nooks/crevices for them to feel safe. Both these and barbs are schooling fish so I'd get at least 4-6 of them. Actually rasboras and tetras school too. So I would use your 35 gal to support several schools of fish. Plus is fun to watch fish school :)

:goodluck

Yes, those are compatible :)

Barbs can be nippy. It really depends on the specific fish and if the have enough room.

The ghost glass cats are a bit shy. So it's best to have some plants and nooks/crevices for them to feel safe. Both these and barbs are schooling fish so I'd get at least 4-6 of them. Actually rasboras and tetras school too. So I would use your 35 gal to support several schools of fish. Plus is fun to watch fish school :)

:goodluck

I am thinking (I asked some other places too) from all the info I've gotten and the fact that I want this tank to be on my bedstand... That I'm going to stick to just a couple of snails and some tetras. How many of the skirts and flame tetras do you think I should get each? Could I get them for the 10 gallon? I know the bigger tanks are available but I only want a small tank on my bedstand...

Thanks!!!

You could get some tetras, but skirts get about 3" full grown, so a couple of each fish is kind of pushing it with also 3 snails in a ten gallon. If it were me, I would set up the 20 gallon instead of the ten and stock it with 4-5 glass cats, 4-5 Von rios, 4-5 blushing skirts and then the 3 snails. That's just me though :)

If you go with the 10 gal I'd only get one type of tetra and get 6-8 of them and 2 snails. :)

I don't think a 10 can support 2schools and a couple mystery snails. These snails get fairly big.

But if you go with Mikey's suggestion, then you could get more than one type of tetra.

It really is more fun to see these fish school. Their behavior is better and the show of their colors is more spectacular when you have a grouping :)

I have some Orange Flame Tetras, they are pretty nice to watch swimming together.

I like Cherry barbs too, I use to have some years ago, a bit skittish till they get used to their surroundings and the routine of day to day care, but are great fish.

Just in case you may be interested in these fish...

Not on your list, but an orange fish that I also have are some Rosy Barbs. The males are orangeish red and females are silverish. But they need at least a 30 gallon tank. I love mine, they are a metallic shiny in color and I have both short fin and the long finned variety. PetSmart has a new variety of a clearish neon Rosy Barb where it is colored but transparent at the same time. I want some of these new rosy barbs but I haven't bought any yet because I am at tank capacity right now but will get some when the stock levels of my tank go down in the future.

One of my Flame Tetras with Snoopy my Golden Algae Eater.

SnoopysNose.jpg

Another Orange Flame Tetra with my Short Fin Rosy Barb (And a Zebra Danio lol)

UnknownFish2.jpg

My Long Fin Rosy Barb with a female Rosy Barb

longfinrosybarb.jpg

If you wanted to have a larger count of fish, you could order some ember tetras online.

I am quite fond of the rasbora, particularly in the smaller tank.

Thank you everyone! :)

In the end... on an impulse I bought "glass guppies"... now of course I'm going to end up with a guppy only tank... hahaha...

Thank you all again!

-Elaine