"Unchewable " plants?!

litelboyblu

So I the future I'm thinking of adding some nice play sand too my empty 40 g breeder . It's a bare bottom with a couple of floating plants and te fish don't mind :P but I'm getting tired of the look and I always wanted to do a live plant tank. (For goldfish) I was looking online and I have heard rumors they chew (indeed they do) on a lot of plants. YUM! So I'm basically asking what are some good low light - med light plants that Goldie's won't break too bits?! I know Anubias is On my way! But they kinda nipped my Anubias, and the heck outta it they did!!

It is ALL trial and error. You will need to purchase plants and see if they leave it alone or eat it. I know you didn't want to hear that, but that's pretty much the only way to do it.

My big oranda, back when I had her, would demolish anubias but leave water sprite alone. This is just about the opposite of all known goldfish plant knowledge. :rofl So it's not something we can really predict, I.E. what they will eat and what they won't.

how about a java fern or a marimo ball?

Just wanted to point out... marimos are one of the easiest things for the fish to shred. It's a ball of algae.

It is ALL trial and error. You will need to purchase plants and see if they leave it alone or eat it. I know you didn't want to hear that, but that's pretty much the only way to do it.

My big oranda, back when I had her, would demolish anubias but leave water sprite alone. This is just about the opposite of all known goldfish plant knowledge. :rofl So it's not something we can really predict, I.E. what they will eat and what they won't.

how about a java fern or a marimo ball?

Just wanted to point out... marimos are one of the easiest things for the fish to shred. It's a ball of algae.

Oh, oops!

None of my fish have touched the marino ball, so it's the only plant that's survived well in my tank. I guess it really does depend on the fish!

Theoretically ANY plant can succumb to a goldfish's appetite. Even the tough leaves of anubias can become victims if there is any damage to the leaf, which will weaken and soften that part, and the fish may nibble it up.

But generally anubias, java fern and hornwort are hardier than many other plants.

The marimo moss ball is in my experience a bad idea with most goldfish. I may as well have dropped a knife, fork and a stack of napkins next to the marimos in my tanks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Omg, Fang!

Yes, it's all trial and error, but there are some steps that you can take to ensure the survival of the plants that you do buy. Buy big. Whenvever I add some kind of stem plant, I add TONS of it (5+ bunches), in the hopes that even a few stems will go uneaten. Also, whenever you're adding, having a "sacrificial" plant can help. I like to use anacharis because it's super cheap, and doesn't empty my wallet too much, if I need to stuff the tank full. :rofl3

My fish are, unfortunately, very badly behaved so I'm somewhat of an expert on having a shredded planted tank. I now have only anubias, watersprite, java fern, and anacharis. I have had many others, but either the fish, or I, have killed them. :P Aponogeton boivianus is a fun plant to have, and the leaves are pretty sturdy, so maybe try that one, too. :)

Edited by yafashelli

Haha thanks everyone... apparently i wasn't subscribed to this thread anyone know how to subscribe too threads :P ?

I defeniatley want to try hornwort they don't bother the java fern much but when a new leaf for my anubias grows the lil buggers eat it! haha :P Oh well, guess like ill see what they want to have for dinner and what they don't!

Haha thanks everyone... apparently i wasn't subscribed to this thread anyone know how to subscribe too threads :P ?

I defeniatley want to try hornwort they don't bother the java fern much but when a new leaf for my anubias grows the lil buggers eat it! haha :P Oh well, guess like ill see what they want to have for dinner and what they don't!

At the very top right (straight over to the right from the topic title) is a button to "Follow this topic" :)

I just want to point out that hornwort can get messy. The "needles" can fall off and clog your filter.

One of my fish destroys my Java fern, but the other two leave it untouched.

You could always put a fast growing, good tasting plant like duckweed in your tank to provide a minor "distraction" for your fish.

My swords and dwarf sagittaria have both held up really well, in addition to my Anubias. My fish demolished my banana plant immediately and they nip at my pennywort, but the pennywort grows so fast it doesn't make any difference. I hang my pennywort from the center brace like so:

07b2cbf6283edaa38787bc6932b187ca.jpg

Wow Amanda!!! What a beautiful set up ;) I'm defeniatley thinking of adding some substrate and plants :P just don't know which plants get haha! Is there a thread section where members can sell or trade stuff? I'm interested In Getting some duckweed and plants after I get a light!

It has already been mentioned, but if you plant, plant heavy!

If you have just 1 or 2 plants, the fish have something to focus on. If you have a bunch of plants, they spread out the nibbles and no single plant gets beat up.

And good plants to try: Anubias, Java fern, crypts, sword plants, Vallisneria, Aponogeton (any but lace plant), Tiger Lotus (Nyphaea) . . . there is a good thread I listed some plants on (with the contribution of several other members). I remember there were a lot more plants listed. I don't have time to search for it now but I suggest you give it a look.

Good luck and plant heavy! :D

PS,

If your goldfish just destroy aquatic plants, you could always make a riparium!

Riparium examples:

21-XI-08-tank-II-600-promo.jpg

3-VI-13-tank-I-m1.jpg

Get riparium stuff from here: http://ripariumsupply.com/products-page/

Edited by Acro

I like the look of amazon swords never experienced them. Bough or dwarf sag :/ any high need requirements for them?

Swords generally do best with medium light and need root tabs in the substrate for them, that's about it ;)