I have a sick Dorito...

kiwikacey

I don't have any medical advice per se, but some observations based upon my own experience.

My fish has has had two episodes with that sort of swimming behaviour, although a bit milder. During the most recent event, Alex suggested that it might be a mild internal infection. I fasted the fish for 3ish days (a confirmed male fish), and then fed garlic and dandelion for 6 days. During all 9 days, I did a nearly complete water change every day.

The behaviour stopped. Again, this is just an observation of what happened in our case. My fish had no other symptoms other than staring at the corner when I wasn't near the tank and erratic swimming when I was near the tank.

I don't have any medical advice per se, but some observations based upon my own experience.

My fish has has had two episodes with that sort of swimming behaviour, although a bit milder. During the most recent event, Alex suggested that it might be a mild internal infection. I fasted the fish for 3ish days (a confirmed male fish), and then fed garlic and dandelion for 6 days. During all 9 days, I did a nearly complete water change every day.

The behaviour stopped. Again, this is just an observation of what happened in our case. My fish had no other symptoms other than staring at the corner when I wasn't near the tank and erratic swimming when I was near the tank.

Maybe I will try that, if Alex sees this and suggests the same. How did you make up the garlic and dandelion so it stuck together as food? The behavior from your fish sounds almost exactly like Dorito's.

& about the abdomen, thanks! Speckle has always been slightly squishy (another fish) but she's a ryukin...so I assumed that was normal.

I just cut up the garlic into pellet size and poured boiling water over it and a dandelion leaf. After they cooled off, I plopped bits into the tank. Alex did say that a course of MMs might be needed but I don't have any and tried the diet and constant water changes first before bugging people in the US to buy me some.

I just cut up the garlic into pellet size and poured boiling water over it and a dandelion leaf. After they cooled off, I plopped bits into the tank. Alex did say that a course of MMs might be needed but I don't have any and tried the diet and constant water changes first before bugging people in the US to buy me some.

Ah! Well I do have MMs so I could feed that. Should I pm Alex and ask? Thanks for the advice!

When was the last time you gave this fish Metro Meds? I think this would be the way to go if it's been a while or never.

I gave it to her for 10 days a long while ago, and if I can remember correctly she seems to have gotten slightly better so I ended up stopping. At the time I didn't have a QT able to be set up, so the feeding was a bit rusty. I do have them on hand and she is in QT now, so I could definitely start that up if it seems to be a good option!

I fed her 8 pellets today - going off of previous feeding recs on my other fish, based on weight :) Let me know if I should give her more!

This morning, after about half a day of MMs, Dorito is looking and moving SO much better! She's still got some issues, to be sure, but I can see an improvement and it's making me really happy :)

This morning, after about half a day of MMs, Dorito is looking and moving SO much better! She's still got some issues, to be sure, but I can see an improvement and it's making me really happy :)

This is great news :clapping:

Just be sure to continue feeding for the full 14 days even if seems better sooner :D

I'll be sure to keep it up this time! She's looking great and I can only hope she keeps looking better. Almost back to her old self! Seems like those MMs fix anything :)

I'll be sure to keep it up this time! She's looking great and I can only hope she keeps looking better. Almost back to her old self! Seems like those MMs fix anything :)

My fish had a similar quick reaction to MMs. It was trippy, so much so that I started to doubt that I should have given them antibiotics so soon. But it was the right thing to do!

After the MM treatment period, do make sure to feed some probiotics to Dorito so that she builds back up beneficial gut bacteria.

My fish had a similar quick reaction to MMs. It was trippy, so much so that I started to doubt that I should have given them antibiotics so soon. But it was the right thing to do!

After the MM treatment period, do make sure to feed some probiotics to Dorito so that she builds back up beneficial gut bacteria.

Will do! I have some Jumpstart coming in the mail. I tried the "mixing a probiotic in with gel food" method but that wreaked absolute HAVOC on my filters...way too much bacterial growth and everything got super thick in the filters themselves. Used the jumpstart before, with no bad side effects! Hopefully this time will be the same :)