I have a sick Dorito...

kiwikacey

Hi everyone. I tried to find the questionnaire, but seem to have misplaced it. Will gladly fill it out if someone links me, thanks!

I'm writing because it seems like my little ECR, Dorito, is having problems. I've emailed Cynthia about this, but I know she's busy and wanted to get a thread started here as well :)

Dorito started out as a very active, bright, friendly fish. She was loving her new tankmates and hand feeding. About 3-4 months after I got her (I've had her for 6 months now) she started sleeping vertically, and becoming less social. Now, she shies away from the light, doesn't like contact with other fish, is afraid of me, and seems like her head is too heavy for her body. She's still got a good appetite but is a clumsy swimmer and tends to open her mouth strangely? This happened since I got her, but I figured it was a ranchu thing. Now I'm not sure...

She also seems to have small "twitches" at her anal fins/tail fin when she sits still, or when I move her to another tank. These twitches seem like a nerve response, but I don't know what to make of them, and they don't happen all the time.

I have her in a QT now just to observe her, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any help or advice? I'm really puzzled by her change in behavior :(

Thanks!

EDIT: also, poops are normal and have always been normal. No discoloration or torn fins, and no white spots anywhere that I can tell. Her eyes are bright but she looks "sad"

Edited by kiwikacey

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8/8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop kit
      • * Water temperature? 74 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, 1 year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 eheim 2217 classic canister filters
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2x per week, at least 50% each time

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 (I know, overstocked - 1 was a gift from a breeder and she knows the size and specs of my tank & approved it) two fish about 5 inches, the rest 3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? seachem prime, buff it up
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? peas, brine shrimp, blood worms, NLS Thera A, Repashy soilent green (I switch between all these); average 3x/day feeding
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes - after a quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? yes - Prazipro "heavy" treatment just finished
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. ---Prazipro heavy treatment just completed, before that I had treated 2x for flukes; MMs given for 10 days to Dorito with the suspicion she had a bacterial infection
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? see above
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see above

Can you elaborate on the specifics of both the Prazi treatments as well as how and why you are raising your pH. I would also like to know the depth of your tank.

Edited by jmetzger72

The Prazi treatment was done according to the instructions posted here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

The most recent: 7 day rounds, doubling the concentration of Prazi. The first Prazi treatment: probably according to the instructions on the bottle; maybe for one round! Didn't know what I was doing then.

I'm managing my pH with crushed coral in my filter and buff it up with every water change. For some reason, my tap water has an extremely low pH and my tank is prone to crashes if I don't replace the buffer every time I do a WC. Depth of the tank is technically around 19inches, but I've been keeping it at 15inches or less for Dorito.

The Prazi treatment was done according to the instructions posted here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

The most recent: 7 day rounds, doubling the concentration of Prazi. The first Prazi treatment: probably according to the instructions on the bottle; maybe for one round! Didn't know what I was doing then.

I'm managing my pH with crushed coral in my filter and buff it up with every water change. For some reason, my tap water has an extremely low pH and my tank is prone to crashes if I don't replace the buffer every time I do a WC. Depth of the tank is technically around 19inches, but I've been keeping it at 15inches or less for Dorito.

Thanks. Were you doubling the Prazi because you were using 0.3% salt? How many consecutive rounds did you do?

I have some ideas, but I have reported this to the rest of the moderator team to get their feedback. We will get back to you ASAP with some possible solutions :)

Thanks. Were you doubling the Prazi because you were using 0.3% salt? How many consecutive rounds did you do?

I have some ideas, but I have reported this to the rest of the moderator team to get their feedback. We will get back to you ASAP with some possible solutions :)

Thanks! I was doubling the Prazi because Alex suggested that Pickle, one of my other fish who had a nasty sore at the start of that treatment, might have gotten the sore as a secondary result of a heavy fluke infestation. Since I had never done a "heavy" treatment before, it was suggested that I do that to cover all bases. I didn't use any salt, as Pickle was on MMs during the ordeal and that negated the need for salting to ward off a bacterial infection created by open sores from the flukes. Here is the thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117974-possible-euthanasia-help-with-decision/

As for the length, I followed it to the end - so 40 days.

I'll wait for the others to pipe in!

I would like you to fast her while we wait for Cynthia to reply. From the video, I suspect she is either constipated or egg bound. Fasting may help to alleviate both of these problems.

I was already assuming I'd be fasting! I'll continue NOT to feed.

Just as an FYI...she is still pooping pretty regularly, all normal. Same color as food and no stringiness or weird consistencies or air bubbles.

Edited by kiwikacey

Just got an email from Cynthia. She doesn't have any ideas about what it is...so I'm deferring to you guys. She seems really overwhelmed at the moment and I don't want to bother her with a ton more questions. Just sent the email originally to see if this had maybe happened to her before :)

I've been fasting her for only 1 full day so far.

Just got an email from Cynthia. She doesn't have any ideas about what it is...so I'm deferring to you guys. She seems really overwhelmed at the moment and I don't want to bother her with a ton more questions. Just sent the email originally to see if this had maybe happened to her before :)

I've been fasting her for only 1 full day so far.

Let's fast for another day and watch for improvements in the fish's comportment.

UPDATE!! Dorito is still acting the same, but I came home to a SORE on her wen. I'll attach some photos. It's red and looks like it's a little raised, which is hard to tell from the photos. She's now darting and acting irritated. The water params for my QT are all fine - she hasn't even been in there long enough to produce an ammonia reading. What is this, and how do I treat it?

ikKH4K0AaSI5t.JPGiqkXOJFsM0pld.JPG

Ah, thanks! This morning it was actually a lot less red and swollen, so maybe it did burst. I've just never seen one on a fish before :) Should I start feeding her again or...? I see some poops in the tank this morning that are long and stringy and have some zig-zags in them. Her behavior is still the same, no better and no worse. I tested all the water levels last night and everything is at 0, so no poisoning from ammonia or nitrites.

Hey guys, any ideas? I might make a new thread on this, if this one keeps getting buried. I don't want to fast Dorito for an unnecessary amount of time and I'd really like to see her start getting better.

Hey guys, any ideas? I might make a new thread on this, if this one keeps getting buried. I don't want to fast Dorito for an unnecessary amount of time and I'd really like to see her start getting better.

You can always report your own post if you feel like you need direction from a mod. I'm sure someone will be on to help you soon, though. :hug

Goldies can go several days without eating just fine, so don't stress over one more day that's gone by of fasting. Fridays are busy. :teehee

No improvement in motion and balance - she tries to swim straight but can't seem to figure out how to swim "up" without flipping over every which way

So...an update. I decided to do a quick physical exam just so I could keep you guys the most informed. Dorito's lower abdomen is REALLY hard. Like, not squishy at all. Is this normal? I'm not absolutely positive she is a she. Dorito has never laid eggs and I think she's too young. Why would her abdomen be so hard?

From what I've read on this forum, the abdomen should be firm. I don't know about REAL firm though. I think squishy is not good.

Edited by LisaCGold