new sorority

Gcourtney

i have started a sorority so far its been going great. i plan on adding more live plants. but the nice part is each of the bettas has thier own little cave. this all started when i was looking for a betta and all they had left were three females so i snapped them up . when i first introduced them the medium sized one started to go after the biggest one and after a nerve wrecking ten minuets they calmed down and have been fine since. for names i was thinking of calling the smallest one iola since she is best friends with the biggest one, and the biggest one thelma/mama since she tends to be the ring leader. and the middle one which kept trying to pick fights with mama when they were added im calling naomi.

the whole time the were establishing a pecking order i could imagine naomi saying " its unfair miss harper , you and iola get the large caves while i get stuck in the smallest cave by the noisey filter :lol i will post a video soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpFi8i4JOY&list=UUMh4PyKGHmCYXvofNj7W-QQ

Edited by Gustave

I don't get to read a lot about betta sororities, although I follow a few I'm in love with on instagram. Look forward to hearing more from you, and some pics of course!

Your setup looks really nice. I like it! I'm glad your betta's are doing better. I'm curious, How big is your tank?

its 5.5 gallons a bit small for a sorority tank but so far no issues if i have to they will be moved to a 30 gal

I don't know about that Garrett, being a small tank with three. You might wake up to a disaster. I'd hate for that to happen.

I just happen to think, I believe it's recommended at least 5g per single betta also.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I don't know about that Garrett, being a small tank with three. You might wake up to a disaster. I'd hate for that to happen.

I just happen to think, I believe it's recommended at least 5g per single betta also.

I agree with the fact that if you are housing multiple bettas 3-5 gallons are recommended for each Betta. But many people have had single bettas in a 1 gallon bowl/tank with success. Of course these are planted bowls and they get WC's very often, but if you know what your doing then it's OK to go as low as 1 gallon. ;)

Nice Bettas! I used to have a sorority of Bettas in my 30 gallon about 4 years ago but some mysterious disease killed them one by one and I got tons of help from other experienced Bettas owners and none of them could figure it out and we tried everything! It was so depressing :( But now I have 3 Female Bettas in my 30 gallon and one Female that has her own 5 gallon tank to herself.

I also agree the Bettas should be in a bigger tank pretty soon because they may not fight now while still getting used to the tank and each other but then they decide to set up territories and then squabble with each other. At first I started my first sorority in a 10 gallon with 3 Bettas and seemed OK for a while but then started chasing and nipping that is when I put them in the 30 gallon where they did perfect with each other for 2 years before that mystery disease killed them all :no: I think it was the 3 Oto catfish that I added to their tank because it all started a week after I took them out of the quarantine tank and into the 30 gallon :idont

Good luck with your Betta Sorority :thumbs:

this is great congrats :)

But I have to echo what others have said, please do get them moved to the 30 gallon. 5.5 gallons is great for a single betta, but you are really asking for trouble with 3 in a tank that size. If one girl gets aggressive there is nowhere for the targeted girl to go :( Sororities are tricky business even when you have a big tank that is heavily planted. Things can look fine and then suddenly are not.

• 2 weeks later...