Sign in to follow this  
FredTheGoldfish

30 gallon planted tank (with black sand, mopani wood and river rocks)

I have a fairy small tank (30 gallons) with two goldfish, but I love to re-decorate it and try out new things to keep my little guys entertained.

Also, I kind of killed all my plants trying to clean the algae off them... so I thought now would be a good time to add some new plants and decorations to the tank.

tankshotAugust2014_zps0d088694.jpg

I already had the black Tahitian sand (two small bags to cover the bottom.) My fish absolutely love sifting through the black sand. It's also easy to clean because I can see lighter-color material sitting on top of the sand and just pick it up with a net or vacuum during water changes.

The river rocks add a pop of color on top of the sand, and they're great for super-gluing my plants onto. I just have to remember to pick up the rocks and clean underneath them during water changes. Also, I have to wipe the algae off the rocks periodically.

My anubias and java ferns are super easy to take care of, although I have to pour the water slowly back into the tank after water changes, as I've accidentally broken off a few leaves. :(

The marimo ball just needs to be squeezed out in conditioned water to get clean, and it's good to go. It will float around the tank if I don't fill it back up with tank water (like a sponge.)

The water wisteria, however, isn't doing as well. I think the pH in the tank (8.0) is too high for them, and the fish keep nibbling off bits of stem. But the plants are mostly still there, so we'll have to see how well they survive.

My biggest new change is a small piece of mopani wood. I bought it at PetSmart for $8, and soaked it in a bucket for a few days. Not much tannin color leached out, so I thought I'd better boil it before adding to my tank. I used a stainless steel pot and boiled the wood for 8 hours, changing the water every hour or two. The tannins, as you might expect, left brown ring marks in the pot, and brown spots on the bottom of the pot. I tried cleaning the pot with baking soda first, and then used my whitening toothpaste to get rid of the tannin stains. The toothpaste worked like a charm (and the pot is now minty fresh and clean!) :D

So far, the mopani wood has not stained my tank water at all. I use carbon filters, so they probably help. And I think the wood looks great in the tank.

So, I'm very happy my current tank setup. I've been inspired by so many of the tank photos from this forum. Thanks!

Your tank is beautiful!!!!

Wow, I love the look of your sparkly clean tank! I bet you spend time staring at it a lot! I would.

Oh my gosh I love your tank :o

Love, love, love your tank!!

What a crisp, clean look! I'm glad you're having luck with the Mopani wood it's lovely, also smart selection on the plants.

I recently set some Wisteria in to root and mine is hit/miss so far, I hope you have better luck :)

Your tank is beautiful. It's so clean. I love how you decorated it also.

Oh, it's beautiful! :)

Wow, I love the look of your sparkly clean tank! I bet you spend time staring at it a lot! I would.

Thanks! :) And yes, I do spend a lot of time just staring at the tank and my little fishies. :)

Oh my gosh I love your tank :o

Thank you! :)

Love, love, love your tank!!

Thank you! :)

What a crisp, clean look! I'm glad you're having luck with the Mopani wood it's lovely, also smart selection on the plants.

I recently set some Wisteria in to root and mine is hit/miss so far, I hope you have better luck :)

Thanks! :)

I superglued the wisteria to a rock and pushed the rock down into the sand a bit to cover the roots. I'm not sure if it can root like that, but we'll see...

Your tank is beautiful. It's so clean. I love how you decorated it also.

Oh, it's beautiful! :)

Thank you. :)

I keep moving things around in the tank until they feel just right. Kinda like a zen garden.

Very lovely! I can see why you like changing it -- you're good at it! :clapping:

Nice! :thumb:

Lovely! I really like all the colors from the rocks and plants

Beautiful! :)

Beautiful and the black sand makes your tank look even more awesome :)

Looks great, Fred. The wood with the bubbler is a nice touch.

Gorgeous! :)

Very lovely! I can see why you like changing it -- you're good at it! :clapping:

Thank you. :blush:

Nice! :thumb:

Thank you. :)

Lovely! I really like all the colors from the rocks and plants

Thanks, me too! I can look at it all day... :)

Beautiful! :)

Beautiful and the black sand makes your tank look even more awesome :)

Thanks! I'm glad the black sand worked out so well. :)

Looks great, Fred. The wood with the bubbler is a nice touch.

Thank you! I tried to cover the bubbler with a bit of sand to make it look like an underwater volcano. :)

Gorgeous! :)

tank looks great! :)

Wow tank looks lovely! And I love the wood looks well worth the boiling/scrubbing of the pan :P:thumbup2:

tank looks great! :)

Wow tank looks lovely! And I love the wood looks well worth the boiling/scrubbing of the pan :P:thumbup2:

Thank you! :D I'm loving the mopani wood in the tank, too. It was totally worth it.