Sign in to follow this  
ldm001

Canister Filter vs. HOB for 75 Gallon with 2 Large Goldfish

Hi,

I recently upgraded to a new 75G glass aquarium with stand. I also purchased one of those glass tops tat the light sits on and a cabinet stand for my goldfish. Here are some details:

75G Tank

2 large goldfish (approximately 8-9" each), one is 12 years old, the other about 10-11 years old.

Current fiter is filter on my old 29G (Aquaclear HOB) which definitely needs upgrading and fast. I had no choice but to move the fish and the water along with the filter media into the new tank.

I typically have green water and pH problems which I can assume are due to the filter size.

I currently feed them one time per day and they eat only algae pellets due to a swim bladder illness in one of the two. Algae seems to keep him in good shape (knock on wood).

I would like to get feedback on what the best filter would be for this situation. I seem to have trouble with the HOB because they do not seem to fit the tank very well. Not sure if this is due to the size of the filter but I kind of have to force it to sit in a certain way for it to work due to the thickness of the frame at the top of the tank.

I am open to any suggestions particularly the type of filter to go for (canister, HOB etc) and brand that will work and last.

Thanks!

I have 2 aquaclear 110s on my 75 gallon. I like them a lot. They fit just fine over the rim.

You could do an HOB and a canister or 2 HOBs, whichever you prefer. Whatever route you go, you'll want to shoot for 10X filtration, so 750 gph for your 75 gallon tank.

Congrats on the new tank. We'd love pics! :)

What model of Aquaclear do you have(30, 50, 70)?

HOB or Canister is really just a matter of personal preference(I like HOBs). If you go with HOBs, you will need about 750 GPH. So, you could do an Aquaclear 110 and an Aqua clear 70 or do 2 Aquaclear 110s and turn down the flow a bit.

What model of Aquaclear do you have(30, 50, 70)?

HOB or Canister is really just a matter of personal preference(I like HOBs). If you go with HOBs, you will need about 750 GPH. So, you could do an Aquaclear 110 and an Aqua clear 70 or do 2 Aquaclear 110s and turn down the flow a bit.

Sniped by Lisa :lol2

Thanks for your help! J, you were one of the people who helped me through some issues with my 29 gallon. Got the new tank about 1.5 months ago with the dream that the filter along with more water would work but no good. Right now I have green water so once I get it all cleared up I will definitely post pics for all the hard work of my koko goldfish family.

The filter I have now is the 70 and I realize this just isnt going to cut it but I just hope that the right filter or filters clears up my green water and pH issues. Ammonia hasn't been bad actually for a change. Yesterday I tested it and it was clear of ammonia.

Seems like I could deal with my 70 and add a 110 based on the info above. My issue currently is that the 70 is sticking out too far toward the glass top that I have so I can't properly close the top, I have to shift the glass forward a bit to make sure that it doesn't hit the top and overflow. Im concerned that the filter will overflow by accident so that is one reason I was considering a canister. Have you ever heard of this?

Can you post a pic of what you're talking about?

Also, I don't think increasing your filtration will do much for pH. What pH issues are you having? :idont

Can you post a pic of what you're talking about?

Also, I don't think increasing your filtration will do much for pH. What pH issues are you having? :idont

Yes, a pic would help :)

Like they said, it's very much personal preference! I keep a canister on my 75 gallon because a ryukin I used to have (RIP) struggled with terrible floatiness. I used to have an AC110 on my 75 but the flow was just crazy! Crazy good, but it was tough to keep it baffled enough for my balloon ryukin. xD

Canisters do a great job cleaning the tank, but they are harder to clean. Fortunately, they don't have to be cleaned as often as HOBs. Canisters are quieter and let you put the tank closer to the wall.

HOBs are easy to clean, but they must be cleaned more often. There are many good brands to choose from. :)

It's really just your choice. :)

Whatever you decide, I would go with 2 filters to avoid dead spots. The Aqueon 55/75 flows 400 gph and is around $30 on Amazon. Great deal.

Whatever you decide, I would go with 2 filters to avoid dead spots. The Aqueon 55/75 flows 400 gph and is around $30 on Amazon. Great deal.

2 Aqueon 55/75 = 800 GPH , quite enough to keep up with the 75gallons..