coopersafe for velvet

knini09

can I treat my tank with coopersafe? some of my fishes are showing signs of velvet, newly acquired from LFS and one is a baby lion head goldfish and I am unsure if it is safe for goldfish and especially a baby goldfish; and if it is then can I treat with quick cure? I did for 10 days and got rid of ick then velvet started to show up when I started prazi pro, did aquarium salt for a week too and temp has been for 3 weeks between 80-85f.

baby lion head has been hanging by the filter all day and night. meabe something is up? will try to upload photos and videos.

thank you for your help.!

sorry I just remembered that I have to do this...

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.00
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.00
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.00
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0.00
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 80-85 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gal long, running for 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? an AquaClear 70 HOB filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? friday, 85% (I was not sure if to do a 100% or 50% since I was doing salt treatment at the time and was gonna start the prazi pro)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish total, 1 baby, 1 medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum once or twice a day, but since I started the prazi pro I started to feel metro-med to help the baby grow a little bit as I believe he has something going on.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes the baby lion head.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 10 days of quick cure- ; one week of aquarium salt and currently 3 days of prazipro.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. mention in above question. and temperatures of 80-85f.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? my medium one has this powder sugar like on his body, definitely not ick as I treated for that on week one and got rid of it, then he was fine for a couple of days while on salt treatment and when started the prazipro, as he was flashing and rubbing against the tank I thought it was flukes, but then it started to look more like velvet.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? yes, not eating or I haven't seen him eat for like two days, then the baby one is hanging by the filter.

OK when you can get me some photos or a Video :please

Also did you do the full Prazi treatment?

I will get the pics today, no I just started prazipro this week, well I started prazipro on friday,

just got home and medium goldfish is dead... wondering what to do.... will have that video up at night, do you recommend me to change water and start any other treatment? thank you!

I will get the pics today, no I just started prazipro this week, well I started prazipro on friday,

just got home and medium goldfish is dead... wondering what to do.... will have that video up at night, do you recommend me to change water and start any other treatment? thank you!

I'm very sorry for your loss. [emoji17]

Here's a link to the full Prazi treatment Koko mentioned. It's different and more intensive than what the bottle says to do. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Now, if you are doing a 100% water change like you said you normally do, all you have to do is replace the amount of medication you had in there so that it stays constant (unless it's an "off day" for the Prazi, in which case you wouldn't add any. The purpose of the "off days" is to allow the fluke eggs time to hatch). I find it MUCH easier to do 100% water changes in QT because of this. [emoji4]

ok so I have confirmed velvet in the tank, since the beginning this tank has giving me problems, but it is cuz the fishes in there are from LFS. this first one, the one that died, was from petsmart and came with ick, which I treated for 10 days with quick cure and temperatures of 80-85f. then did a week of Salt treatment which was 1 tbs per 5 gal of water again temperatures of 80-85f. one day it got to 90 or more I am not sure as that day I was out and when I came home the temp was 85-90f. that was when the big fish was showing signs of being the worse, then it calmed down and as I finished the week I started prazipro in the tank as I still saw him flashing about, but no more ick in his body, and that same day I introduced the baby goldfish which upon purchase had fin rot, and since I was treating the whole tank I thought well might as well put him in and get him going with treatment right away, and so here I am having a hard time starting this new 30 gal tank...

thank goodness my Kira-Lee is doing great, sadly for me to see her all alone, but she is special and I really don't want her peace to be disturbed so she is still in the 20 gal long. all alone...!!! but happy ...

I did a 100% water change after taking out the dead fish, (I am sorry if I sound not attached but they had no names as I got them sick already I wanted to safe them if I could) and the baby fish started to swim around the tank so from time to time he goes back to the heather and comes out, but mostly hangs in the top of the tank if he is out and about, I notice so calmed fins and sometimes he relaxes them and expand them... I really like him, I thought of a name but I won't get ahead of me and the treatment to be done... I just wish I new what to do, I think I want to go back to quick cure for another 10 days, I am not sure if the velvet parasite is gone from the tank and seriously I am not sure if prazipro will deal with that, and I am not sure if salt is best now since he is behaving quite different now that there is no salt in the water.

video is uploading to youtube ...

Edited by knini09

ok so I have confirmed velvet in the tank, since the beginning this tank has giving me problems, but it is cuz the fishes in there are from LFS. this first one, the one that died, was from petsmart and came with ick, which I treated for 10 days with quick cure and temperatures of 80-85f. then did a week of Salt treatment which was 1 tbs per 5 gal of water again temperatures of 80-85f. one day it got to 90 or more I am not sure as that day I was out and when I came home the temp was 85-90f. that was when the big fish was showing signs of being the worse, then it calmed down and as I finished the week I started prazipro in the tank as I still saw him flashing about, but no more ick in his body, and that same day I introduced the baby goldfish which upon purchase had fin rot, and since I was treating the whole tank I thought well might as well put him in and get him going with treatment right away, and so here I am having a hard time starting this new 30 gal tank...

thank goodness my Kira-Lee is doing great, sadly for me to see her all alone, but she is special and I really don't want her peace to be disturbed so she is still in the 20 gal long. all alone...!!! but happy ...

I did a 100% water change after taking out the dead fish, (I am sorry if I sound not attached but they had no names as I got them sick already I wanted to safe them if I could) and the baby fish started to swim around the tank so from time to time he goes back to the heather and comes out, but mostly hangs in the top of the tank if he is out and about, I notice so calmed fins and sometimes he relaxes them and expand them... I really like him, I thought of a name but I won't get ahead of me and the treatment to be done... I just wish I new what to do, I think I want to go back to quick cure for another 10 days, I am not sure if the velvet parasite is gone from the tank and seriously I am not sure if prazipro will deal with that, and I am not sure if salt is best now since he is behaving quite different now that there is no salt in the water.

video is uploading to youtube ...

It's really common for goldfish from pet stores to get ich. It's happened to me probably 80% of the time I've bought a fish from the store, whether it was an LFS or chain. The good news is that 0.3% salt does an excellent job of getting rid of it in all but the most extreme cases, and has worked for me every time since I started using it. Here's a good description: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

I'm not sure about velvet as I have no experience with it; I'll let one of the mods or someone else speak to that.

Do you have an airstone running in the tank currently? At high temperatures, it's always good to increase the oxygen level. [emoji4]

So sorry for your loss :(

Would you be able to try to get some clear, well lighted pictures? It is really difficult to see any detail in the videos.

I have to head to bed, but I am going to alert the rest of the mod team to your thread so that others will be able to help :)

So sorry for your loss :(

Would you be able to try to get some clear, well lighted pictures? It is really difficult to see any detail in the videos.

I have to head to bed, but I am going to alert the rest of the mod team to your thread so that others will be able to help :)

ohh thank you.... I was about to write you on your Facebook page to see what you can advice me to do... hopefully will be able to get a good video when I get home, this morning he was swimming at the other side from the heather, and seemed more alert, still clamped fins most of the time but hanging in there... I really hope he makes it...

just wanted to let you know that now the baby goldfish is covered in velvet, could not get a video tonight as it is already too late and will be the same quality as last night, so far left the light off all day, started salt treatment doing 1 tbs per 5 gal, will start dosing quick cure tomorrow, I just hope he can make it, if anyone please can let me know if quick cure will help with velvet I would gladly appreciate it as I don't want to give him medicine it won't work, and the only other change is that I put him in a breeder cup as he was hiding and not eating, when I put him in the breeder box he eat and started pooping, had not seen him eat for two days before... I have read that velvet is cured best with coppersafe or a copper medicine, but I read too that it could be treated with malachite green and formalin, please please let me know if that is true and so I will start as possible I feel like time is passing by and I am unsure what to do... thank you!

I can only speak from my experience with a betta with velvet. It is highly important that you keep the tank as dark as possible while the fish are affected with velvet. Cover the tank with a blanket or towel to even block out most of the ambient light from your room or the windows.

I eventually had to go with coppersafe because nothing else seemed to work. Not saying I recommend this for your treatment, this I will leave to those who are higher experienced in goldfish diseases than I am.

I can only speak from my experience with a betta with velvet. It is highly important that you keep the tank as dark as possible while the fish are affected with velvet. Cover the tank with a blanket or towel to even block out most of the ambient light from your room or the windows.

I eventually had to go with coppersafe because nothing else seemed to work. Not saying I recommend this for your treatment, this I will leave to those who are higher experienced in goldfish diseases than I am.

how long did you treat with the copper safe? I am putting a towel around the tank to keep it dark at all times I think that is what is keeping him alive; what else did you try? thank you very much I do have malachite green and coppersafe and quick cure and herbal ick treatment (i am not sure about that but was advised to get it just in case) and prazipro... I know I have more just don't remember the names... I hope I can get an answer soon... thank you for your help tho... I will keep it in mind.

• Supporter

this looks like Ich to me.. do you have aquarium salt or Morton's canning and pickling salt (i think it's the green box).. i would be treating with salt and heat only. heat at 80-82F and salt at 0.3%. salt needs to be raised in increments of 0.1% every 12 hours. i would also be aiming for 100% daily waterchanges (replacing salt with each waterchange) in order to remove dead parasites from the tank.

• Admin

this looks like Ich to me.. do you have aquarium salt or Morton's canning and pickling salt (i think it's the green box).. i would be treating with salt and heat only. heat at 80-82F and salt at 0.3%. salt needs to be raised in increments of 0.1% every 12 hours. i would also be aiming for 100% daily waterchanges (replacing salt with each waterchange) in order to remove dead parasites from the tank.

:bingo::flex:

really? aren't the spots too small? when I first got ick they were quite big and I was thinking about doing 100% water changes everyday but was not sure if that is what I was supposed to do.. thank you very much...!!!! :thumbup2:

• Supporter

Ich starts as really small white dots, smaller than salt granules. they are like tiny little cysts under the skin and then multiply like crazy.. this is exactly what it appears to me. you may follow my instructions if you like, or you can wait to see if someone else has other recommendations for your fish :)

I 100% agree that this is ick. I've dealt with a Few like this that arrived from my distributor at my LFS I work at. I would highly suggest following Helen's treatment plan. Make sure there is an air stone as when water is warmer, there is less oxygen. I couldn't tell if there was one in there or not.

Definitely agree with the salt treatment Helen suggested. I wouldn't use any store-bought ich medications like formalin or malachite green; it's not necessary and can potentially push a fish that is already sick over the edge. Salt is all that's needed for nearly all ich cases. I learned this after 1-2 years of treating with harsh chemicals, and can assure you that salt works just as well with much less side effects. [emoji4]

Now that I can see the photos and videos I too agree that this is ich. Velvet looks very different, like a super fine golden-green dusting over the fish's body.

Heat & salt with lots of water changes is your best bet to get rid of ich.

And velvet isn't as common as other diseases. Ich however, is probably the most common disease for goldfish to get. Like the others said following Helen's treatment plan is probably you best bet. I wish you and your fish luck. :goodluck

By any chance could we get some more pics of this cutie? :heart

I can only agree with what others have said, it looks like a bad case of ich :(

Salt is going to be your best friend. Please follow Helen's advice. You'll want to raise salt levels to .3% - this is 3 tsp per gallon. Do daily water changes (or as frequently as you are able) and replace the salt you took out. So if you do a 50% water change, replace 50% of the salt etc.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this treatment plan or how to carry out any part of it :) I hope your fish will pull through!

omg... finally light at the end of the tunnel... i just came back from the ER as i had a headache for two days and being pregnant does not help; i will follow the treatment for sure i just hope tomorrow he is still alive....!!!! i will do 100% water chafes for sure from tomorrow on.. i have hope lets see how it develops.... I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH..!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...!!!!