Ultimate Koi Clay

mysterygirl

If anyone wants to try a small amount of Ultimate Koi Clay PM me. I put some in my gel food and a little in my fountain, but it will be a while before I use up the entire 6 pounds I purchased.

They don't seem to sell this in small amounts and the the shipping is expensive. So if you're interested in a few ounces let me know, perhaps we can work something out.

Skelskoiclay.jpg

Thanks. I'm thinking about making a facial mask with it. :yikes

No, I'm SERIOUS.

The Keihl's "rare earth" deep pore cleansing mask I have is basically: Water, kaolin and Bentonite in that order. I love it, and this would be a lot less expensive if it works the same. Stay tuned and I'll post the results in this thread.

It looks like this has been tried by a number people, and they seem to love it!

Now I know what to do with the koi clay I have! :rofl

Send it to me, and I'll use it to bake you a Koi Clay Cake! :D

I love my koi clay, you guys! If this is something that you're on the fence about, then this is a great way to try it!!!

Thanks. I'm thinking about making a facial mask with it. :yikes

No, I'm SERIOUS.

The Keihl's "rare earth" deep pore cleansing mask I have is basically: Water, kaolin and Bentonite in that order. I love it, and this would be a lot less expensive if it works the same. Stay tuned and I'll post the results in this thread.

Yesss let us know!! :nana:D

Hokay.

I mixed my 100% Calcium Bentonite Ultimate Koi Clay with filtered water and these 3 other ingredients:

KoiClayIngredients.jpg

Well, four if you count the Buddha Nature. meditating.gif

My thinking was that I wanted to mix it with ingredients that I already had on hand that were gentle and natural on the skin.

Then I painted a small amount on my face and waited until it dried:

MasqueDrying3.jpg

It felt very similar to the popular clay masque I had been using for years except I'd say that once I washed it off my skin felt warmer in the area where the mask had been. And very slightly redder after I washed it off. It rinses off very well. It did not tingle or burn, my skin was not irritated at all. It was just warm for a while, like it had been in direct sunshine.

Verdict: I'll use this instead of buying more Kiehl's. I'll do a thicker mask next time to speed the drying time.

How to Apply:
-Apply a thin layer to damp, clean skin, avoiding the immediate eye area and allow to dry (approximately ten minutes)
-When dry, gently remove using a warm, wet towel and gently pat dry
-Recommended for use once or twice a week

Bentonite

Found in Canada and the Midwest, this is a colloidal aluminum silicate clay used as a suspending agent in a variety of skin care formulas including lotions and makeup. Because it absorbs oil, it is often used as a facial mask to reduce shine. Also helps to stabilize formulas.

Edited by mysterygirl

Question: None of my goldies have floating problems (knock on wood!), what are the benefits of using this in the gel food if that is the case? I heard putting it in your tank helps with clarity?

• 4 weeks later...

Question: None of my goldies have floating problems (knock on wood!), what are the benefits of using this in the gel food if that is the case? I heard putting it in your tank helps with clarity?

I use it because I have a plastic pond liner, which I vacuum. Since I don't have a mucky pond bottom that a carp would normally to sift through, I supplement my goldfish and Koi's diet with the purest "mud" I can find. The idea is that I'm providing trace minerals and whatever benefits they'd get from sifting through a natural lake or river bed. I think of it like a vitamin.

I don't think I would buy it strictly to clarify water, however. It is mud and makes a cloudy muddy mess until it settles.

The folks who sell it promise all sorts of benefits:

enhance the production of enzymes in all living organisms, improve water quality, and removes toxins from the pond water.

Removes impurities and replenishes essential minerals. Enhances habitat on bottom of pond for koi. Reduces toxins.

It is said the secret to Japanese healthy, colorful koi is the clay mud in which they are raised! 100% natural and specially formulated for pond clarity and koi health, growth and color. Clay used in ponds improves fish nutrition, fish immunity, fish color, and water clarity.

Edited by mysterygirl

Is koi clay just for ponds or can it be used in tanks too? Could I use it in my 55 gallon goldie tank?

I've been thinking about trying some for a while so would love to hear if anyone uses it in tanks.

Yes you can. :)

Hmm I might give it a try then. Does it just sit on the bottom like mud/silt or does it disperse through the water?

It is mud, so after clouding the water for an hour or two, it takes all of the particles it has bound to and sits on the bottom or in your filter. I like that the foraging fish can eat it that way along with some food.

Yes you can. :)

Hmm I might give it a try then. Does it just sit on the bottom like mud/silt or does it disperse through the water?

It is mud, so after clouding the water for an hour or two, it takes all of the particles it has bound to and sits on the bottom or in your filter. I like that the foraging fish can eat it that way along with some food.

This! It settles on the bottom and the fishies eat it up or it makes its way to the filter. Either way it's only there for awhile then it leaves your water more polished.