UV filter

Hi dear I am about to setting up a new aquarium for my goldies. I have a problem with green water with my old aquarium. So the new one will be at the same place where the old one is.

My set up is

Boyu EA 120 80 gal aquarium with a built in internal filter

Eheim professional 3 - 350 canister filter.

I am planning to get a pump free UV filter is just atached on water out hose and works with the canister filter.

I read a lot of stuffs about uv filter usages in aquarium. Working of the UV filter 24 hours a day casuses destroy the any kind of microorganism lives in the water even the good ones. I am bit confused .

First how long and how many periods do I need to turn on the UV filter during a day. Second how strong must be the filter watt?

If you help me to find me a way to out I would be really appriciate.

Thanks and Regards

Burcin Kokalan

Hi dear I am about to setting up a new aquarium for my goldies. I have a problem with green water with my old aquarium. So the new one will be at the same place where the old one is. My set up is Boyu EA 120 80 gal aquarium with a built in internal filter Eheim professional 3 - 350 canister filter. I am planning to get a pump free UV filter is just atached on water out hose and works with the canister filter. I read a lot of stuffs about uv filter usages in aquarium. Working of the UV filter 24 hours a day casuses destroy the any kind of microorganism lives in the water even the good ones. I am bit confused . First how long and how many periods do I need to turn on the UV filter during a day. Second how strong must be the filter watt? If you help me to find me a way to out I would be really appriciate. Thanks and Regards Burcin Kokalan

If you choose to get a UV sterilizer, you should run it 24 hours a day, no breaks. How much and what it kills depends on both the wattage of the UV light and the flow rate. If you are only concerned about green water, a basic 9 watt sterilizer will be adequate :)

You shouldn't run a UV sterilizer while establishing your cycle or when it's newly established. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate will establish themselves on the filter media and won't be free floating in the water once your cycle is well established. :D