Red/orange spots

Vinegar

Alright folks,
So Xena came out of the water trough (which she had been living in for at least three or four years) with spots all over her. The spots look dark on the dark parts of her but orangy red on the light parts of her. She is otherwise bright, active, shiny and eating well. The fish with her was emaciated, comatose and not breathing well (was euthanised) but didn't have any of these spots. I'm going to put pics in a reply to this post.
  • Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Around 7.2 but I'm finding it difficult to judge because the test result comes back pale
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit, drops
      • * Water temperature? I don't know, but air temperature is 14C, it's winter and cold enough to fog your breath at night but not colder than that.
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 100L and from the 5/8, the tub xena was in alone prior to this - which i moved everything over from, water, filter, gravel, plants - ran from about 27/6 (day/month)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua One Clearview for 200L - it's not running at full capacity cos the current was too strong for the size of the tank
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? I've been kind of playing it by ear cos I've only just started the tank and its been like, oh wow i don't have to do like 50% water changes every second day, what do I do now. Haha. I've been testing the water every couple of days, I guess I've done around 15% twice a week but im changing that to a regular larger water change so i actually know what i've been doing
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50% day before yesterday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Three goldfish, one medium, two small but not tiny (i'll have to get back to you on more precise measurements). Five zebra danios, five white cloud minnows.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Stability, API pH down and JBL pH plus, API Stress coat, Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari tropical micro pellets, Wardley goldfish sinking crumbles. Every day, would appreciate advice on how much now I have more fish.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, all fish other than Xena around when I started the big tank
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Started melafix for about four days but then thought better of it
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: I've only treated her with melafix, since I first got her, stopped that a little over a week ago. The fish people i've been relying on for info - who generally have been really good - have just recommended continuing melafix despite my concerns
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red spots as described, and a large dark patch on her left side behind her gills
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No. Normal behavior

When I first got her:

c47934b58ac3cd168f80a7de49b00eb5.jpg

7755ab4124ef0bcacf38d14bf61f1d29.jpg

They seemed to fade for a while

4c3503c8d049a8ca72e2bd8a31d4f00e.jpg

But it might have just been wishful thinking.

bb51786c52c973b6594a0a098f284b35.jpg

Yesterday:

478f834ea9432280906e2c06fc46e171.jpg

Edited by Vinegar

:hi

Let me make sure I"m getting this right. You have 3 GF, 5 danios, and 5 white cloud minnows in a 100 L tank? All tests show 0--ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

You use all of those additives at each WC? Stability, pH down, pH plus, Stress Coat and Prime . . . Do you know your KH?

When did you originally get Xena? When was the third pic taken?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get a feel for what is going on . . .

Yeah, im monitoring the water pretty closely cos I know im over stocked.

No I don't use those every time! sorry, I was listing what I have used - pH seems to have stabilised so I haven't used pH stuff in the last week but I was having an issue where my pH was from the tap was high but as soon as I put it in the tank it plunged to 6. I have a couple of coral pieces in there now which was supposed to help? Ive stopped using stability but I was putting it in with water changes, yes. Im picking up I dont need to use both stress coat and prime! Idk man I was given both of them to use and I just went with it. I dont know my KH.

The third pic was taken before the last two pics.

I got Xena in june, gimme a sec and I can look up the date. However I have no way of knowing how long she's been spotty due to her previous living situation

Honestly im trying to get a feel for whats going on as well! I cant tell you how incredibly much I would appreciate someone walking me through things a bit, because im finding online articles almost impossible to read - my brain just shuts down and I can't take anything in. Too overwhelming uggggghhhhhh. I usually spend ages researching and lurking forums before I get an animal, this time ive just fallen in face first :/

I find it very hard to believe that your nitrates are 0 in a tank with that stocking, even with a 50% WC just a couple days ago. Please be sure you are following the instructions on the nitrate test to a T. It's more involved than the other tests and requires quite a bit of shaking . . .

If your pH is dropping from 8 to 6 quickly, your KH must be low. In order for crushed coral to keep it stable you'd need a LOT of crushed coral, not a couple of pieces. If I was you I'd pick up some baking soda which we can help you use once you have a new box for fish use only.

Were the other fish quarantined before being added to the tank with Xena?

Okay sweet as, I will recheck the nitrates now. Hopefully I have a magic tank but I wouldn't be surprised if ive just messed up the test.

Will get some baking soda today!

Aaaaaaaand no, sadly. Not a mistake I will make again.

Sorry Tithra, I keep missing your replies! First pic is 24th june when she was first outta trough, then 27th, 29th, 2nd July

Edited by Vinegar

Date is 24th june she came outta the trough.

okay, so those pics were when you first took her out. Do you have pictures before this time? Like a few months previous?

I am just trying to figure out if that is her normal coloring or something to be concerned about. I had a fish of similar color, who also had dark spots on his tail and dorsal... not as noticeable though as your fish, and not on the face/body.

Wow really? That's a massive relief! What an odd chook she is then. That makes sense why she never seemed sick XD hahaha

Handy that u didnt need older pics because no older pics exist, the fish were nearly invisible in that trough! Everyone thought xena was black ...

And thank you Mikey! I just dug out the instructions too (durrr ... here I thought the number of drops on the bottle was the instructions ... facepalm)

Edit: Okay, test is now showing 5.0 ppm

Edited by Vinegar