Sign in to follow this  
orangeboar

So the rest of my fish are dead

I actually posted in this thread about it,

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118362-worm-coming-out-of-dead-betta-2-bettas-dead/

But this is the only forum that had a thought of what might happen, the callamanus worm things. I posted in a few other forums and either was not replied to or they don't know. Since it wasn't confirmed callamanus to be the disease on this forum, I was iffy getting treatment. I fed the fenbadzole or whatever to the fish mixed with food, but nothing helped. Everything started dying one by one. And this morning, the last group of fish died. my swordtails, platies, botias, and catfish are all dead in one go.

The only thing left are my neon tetras and rummy nose tetras. I thought that was really weird because I read everywhere that they are fragile fish? My groups are still looking okay and NONE of them died yet... That is really weird. Well anyways, with only these 2 groups left, should I do a full tank cleanout? But if it IS callamanus, then that means the worms are already in the fish? It's been a few weeks/months, however long they have the worms, so I was wondering why neon and rummy tetras don't die off? Hrm...

But anyways, I am also worried because the longer this is going on, the longer there is a chance of cross contamination between my tanks and I would be DEVASTATED if anything happened to my goldies... But I am afraid I might never know what it is... :(

Very sorry for your loss!!!!!

Did some searching on those worms and found this.

Medications

There are numerous medication options for treating Camallanus worms in aquarium fish including fenbendazole, levamisole, and praziquantel. These do not necessarily kill the worms, and in some cases only paralyze them, which results in them being pushed out of the gut and into the aquarium (which the aquarist will see when the pink or white worms emerge and detach from the anus). Within 24 hours of medicating the substrate should be thoroughly cleaned to remove the worms. Normally three treatments are required, each one week apart.

Source

I also found a detailed account of someone dealing with this themselves.

Finally, on my 15th call, I found a Vetrinarian who dabbles in Fish Medicine. A breeder of Discus himself, he had encountered a particular nasty batch of Camallanus worms himself.

Through trial and error, he found a wormer that works.

This wormer is Fenbendazole.

So, he contacted an aquatic biologist friend, and they worked out a dosage.

Dissolve 3CC of powdered Fenbendazole in 100ml of water.

Mix well, then add as many bloodworms as you need to feed your fish. Soak for 30 mins to 1 hour, then dump the entire container in the tank, water and all.

So, for 14.35 in cost, I picked up my Fenbendazole in powder/crushed form.

The brand name it goes under is Panacur.

I brought it home, and prepared the first dose.

It seemed to really soak into the bloodworms, changing them to a slightly lighter and grayish color tone.

I fed the fish 2x A Day for 2 days.

I watched the affected fish carefully.

Within 36 hours, all worms have withered and dropped away from the affected fish.

Within 48 hours, I could find no remaining fish with Camallanus Worms protuding.

I followed up with a good gravel vac and a large water change.

I repeat this treatment in 2 weeks time, and then again in 2 weeks following if need be.

I have enough medication to do at least 7 more doses.

However, I dont think I will need it.

It looks like finally, almost 1 year after it began, the nightmare is over.

The fish and shrimp all responded well to the medication.

The discus adopted some slight stress coloration, but nothing drastic, and following the water change are back to their happy perky blue selves.

All in all, this wormer did a job well done.

It was fun and exhilarating to see the worms withering away within only a few hours of the first dose.

So, for all you frustrated and angered victims of the nightmare Camallanus, worry no more. Fenbendazole has come to the rescue.

Source Edited by Chai

Also, the comments in the first link have a source from which you could buy Levamisole, if you decide to try that route. I'm so sorry, these worms sound awful. :(

I'm so sorry for your losses. :(

I'm sorry for your losses also and that your having a difficult time. I feel for you. :hug I wish I had some advice or suggestions.

Thank you so much everyone. ;_; I really appreciate all the support.

Did you ever actually see the live worms?

On my first betta death, I left her out for a day and noticed something crawling out of her. It was red and bloodworm like. It was definitely moving on its own, but whether it was a worm or something not alive... I could not tell, because I buried her before I was suggested that I try to use a tweezer to get the worm out.

After that, I have NOT seen any worms coming out of the fish before or after death...

To avoid cross contamination you need to ensure that you have dedicated equipment for each tank. DO NOT use ANYTHING at all on more than one tank. This includes but is not limited to nets, siphon hoses, air stones etc.

If you suspect it is the water source, then you must find an alternative source of water. Perhaps re mineralized ro/do?

Edited by James Ludlow

To avoid cross contamination you need to ensure that you have dedicated equipment for each tank. DO NOT use ANYTHING at all on more than one tank. This includes but is not limited to nets, siphon hoses, air stones etc.

If you suspect it is the water source, then you must find an alternative source of water. Perhaps re mineralized ro/do?

Absolutely. If you're worried for your goldies, do not share a single thing between tanks. :scared

If you NEED to share anything, clean with bleach. :yikes

Oh wow this is awful. Wish I could tell you what is wrong but I have not dealt with this.

I hope you manage to save the rest of the fish.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't use any of the equipment that has been exposed to the tanks containing the sick fish with your Goldfish tank. Disinfect all of the infected tanks with a bleach solution (1 part bleach to 19 parts water), rinse and Prime them and then let them dry out completely for a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am not sure if I want to tear down the tank just yet, although it would be a good idea... I will see how it goes with the rummies and neons. :( But the only thing is I don't share equipment, but I do share the sink when water changing. i am afraid a water splash or something will let the worms go up the siphon or just travel through the air into my goldie tank. And there is nothing I can do about NOT doing water changes for the tanks through the sink. :(