Sign in to follow this  
kaylaj2355

Hard water/high pH and tropicals

Hi there! -hides- I haven't been around in a while...I hate how busy summer seems to get.

14559256678_fb023198b1_m.jpg

Here's a goldie pic to tide you over. Merlin, Marcellus, and Patchy :)

What I'm really wondering though is if there are any tropicals that would be fun that'd work with my water. My pH is generally around 8 and my water is very hard. Goldies do well, of course, and invertebrates do well. I would love perhaps some angelfish or another kind of pretty fish for a new tank I will be setting up. Can you think of anything that'd thrive in water that is like mine?

The tank will be a 30ish gallon taller tank. I'm not sure if I'll find a cube or hexagon or what, but it will be tall to mimic my 20 gallon hexagon tank.

Angelfish need a ph between 6-7.5 so I'd say no to the angelfish. :(

Chitande aulonocara should do good in your tank

Moucho+Moncho ooh I've never heard of them, thank you for the tip! D'aww, they look like little lake cichlids. Definitely intrigued!

Livebearers should do well with your water; mollys, platys, swordtails, guppys, etc. I have the same water as you so I've looked into this before, lol. Unfortunately most tropical fish are from the Amazon, so they like softer water. :(

Actually some fish will do fine even in hard water with high pH, if the parameters are stable. Usually they main "problem" for example with angelfish and hard water is that they often don't spawn, so unless you are intending to breed them, angels might be fine.

Rainbowfish would also be a nice idea. You'd just have to look into the different species because although they all are sold small at the LFS (and btw do not look anywhere near as colorful and beautiful as they will when mature), some of these grow to be 8" long, others stay below 2" adult size.

Just an idea of what some of the different rainbowfish look like. http://fish-etc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/RAINBOWFISH.jpg

African cichlids need high ph believe and are quite colorful.

Thank you all! I'm super excited to get started :) :) I think livebearers might be fun this time around! I'm lucky to have nice, stable water. Here's to never moving because of fish xD