Sand/Gravel mix?

Jen

The carpet's just been put down so I can finally set up my new tank. YAY!

I bought a fine sand/gravel mix to put in the bottom, but now I'm having doubts. I'm worried that my goldfish is derpy enough to eat and choke on it. :feedme

So my question is...am I worrying about nothing? Has anyone else used this? I'll either use that or leave my tank bare bottomed.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions! :P

As long as the gravel is smaller than his mouth you should be ok. Its when they het a piece thats too big they cant spit out that it causes problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks. :D t's definitely smaller than her mouth.

I had a sand and gravel mix. I had a fish get a piece stuck in its mouth. I had to take it all out and sift the gravel out of the sand. Unless the gravel is just barely bigger than the sand, i would just stick with sand only.

I had a sand and gravel mix. I had a fish get a piece stuck in its mouth. I had to take it all out and sift the gravel out of the sand. Unless the gravel is just barely bigger than the sand, i would just stick with sand only.

I don't like gravel because my fish tend to ingest some sand (which passes easily). I would worry that they would also ingest some of the gravel (which does not pass easily) or choke on it. If you decide against the gravel, I would do as HomerJay did and sift the gravel out of the sand with a colander or a net and just use the sand :)

Edited by jmetzger72

I don't like gravel because my fish tend to ingest some sand (which passes easily). I would worry that they would also ingest some of the gravel (which does not pass easily) or choke on it. If you decide against the gravel, I would do as HomerJay did and sift the gravel out of the sand with a colander or a net and just use the sand :)

I absolutely agree with this statement.

Whenever I pull Maruko out of her tank and put her in a barebottom tank or container, there is always (magically) sand on the bottom by the time I move her back :rofl

Edited by jmetzger72

Sometimes, mine will just pass pure sand. I watch it fall right out of them, not mixed with anything at all. Fish are gross. :rofl3

Mine seem to always pass it when I feed peas, so I have patches of green sand :doh11::rofl

Sometimes, mine will just pass pure sand. I watch it fall right out of them, not mixed with anything at all. Fish are gross. :rofl3

Ask Lisa about Waddles :rofl

:donthit:

Edited by jmetzger72

I have a sand/gravel mix now. I had always kept gravel in all my tanks (never had an issue), and wanted to try sand for a change, so I bought CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight sand. Unfortunately, it presented several problems for me: 1) it got all over my fish and stuck to their bodies, which may have irritated them, 2) it got into my filter, and 3) when the GF would poop, the poop would get coated in sand, which made it too dense to be picked up by my Python or filter - it would just swirl around in the Python gravel vac but wouldn't go up. The poop also rested on top of the sand, and looked really gross, especially because my sand is white. I had to remove those pieces manually - yuck!

I recently added Activ-Flora Lake Gems gravel over the sand, which is a nutrient-enriched gravel for planted tanks. My plants are doing amazing, and the tank looks much cleaner and more visually appealing to me than stark white sand. I guess I'm a gravel girl deep down ... :rofl

Edited by *Amanda*

I have a sand/gravel mix now. I had always kept gravel in all my tanks (never had an issue), and wanted to try sand for a change, so I bought CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight sand. Unfortunately, it presented several problems for me: 1) it got all over my fish and stuck to their bodies, which may have irritated them, 2) it got into my filter, and 3) when the GF would poop, the poop would get coated in sand, which made it too dense to be picked up by my Python or filter - it would just swirl around in the Python gravel vac but wouldn't go up. The poop also rested on top of the sand, and looked really gross, especially because my sand is white. I had to remove those pieces manually - yuck!

I recently added Activ-Flora Lake Gems gravel over the sand, which is a nutrient-enriched gravel for planted tanks. My plants are doing amazing, and the tank looks much cleaner and more visually appealing to me than stark white sand. I guess I'm a gravel girl deep down ... :rofl

I'd like to point out that sand getting 'stuck to the fish' is not problematic in the slightest. It just gets stuck to their slime coat and in no way irritates them. Sand is the carps natural substrate and it's important to remember this. Smaller gravel does concern me because if it is small enough to be ingested it can cause internal issues such as a blockage or tear in the GI tract. A fish will not choke unless the gravel lodges itself in such a way that it prevents the mouth from functioning properly which would hold the gills shut.

I'd say my fish certainly seem to 'enjoy' sand more. They spend more times sifting through it because it's much easier than sifting through gravel. Definitely not condoning gravel as it can be a fine substrate if you're dedicated to cleaning it thoroughly, just giving my information and input. :)

I'd like to point out that sand getting 'stuck to the fish' is not problematic in the slightest. It just gets stuck to their slime coat and in no way irritates them. Sand is the carps natural substrate and it's important to remember this. Smaller gravel does concern me because if it is small enough to be ingested it can cause internal issues such as a blockage or tear in the GI tract. A fish will not choke unless the gravel lodges itself in such a way that it prevents the mouth from functioning properly which would hold the gills shut.

I'd say my fish certainly seem to 'enjoy' sand more. They spend more times sifting through it because it's much easier than sifting through gravel. Definitely not condoning gravel as it can be a fine substrate if you're dedicated to cleaning it thoroughly, just giving my information and input. :)

Oh yes, my fish definitely seemed to enjoy sifting through the sand. It was also fun to see them rake it through their gills and spit it out. [emoji4]

As far as irritation goes, I want to clarify that I did not observe any signs of this in my fish even though they were covered in sand. However, I still wanted to mention it because in this recent thread Red thought the sand being stuck to the slime coat was irritating one of her fish: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118142-back-to-sand/page-2 She observed flashing and other signs of discomfort, and this behavior stopped as soon as she removed the sand. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but it is interesting that the fish's condition improved immediately afterward - unless it could have been caused by something else related to that particular sand, but a lot of people use TMS so I don't know. The sand I had is similar to TMS and by the same manufacturer, but is even finer.

Edited by *Amanda*

If it's super small, it's fine. If it's super big, it's fine. It is that magical space in between, where they can get it in their mouth, but can't swallow/pass it, that you should be concerned about.

Oh yes, my fish definitely seemed to enjoy sifting through the sand. It was also fun to see them rake it through their gills and spit it out. [emoji4]

As far as irritation goes, I want to clarify that I did not observe any signs of this in my fish even though they were covered in sand. However, I still wanted to mention it because in this recent thread Red thought the sand being stuck to the slime coat was irritating one of her fish: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118142-back-to-sand/page-2 She observed flashing and other signs of discomfort, and this behavior stopped as soon as she removed the sand. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but it is interesting that the fish's condition improved immediately afterward - unless it could have been caused by something else related to that particular sand, but a lot of people use TMS so I don't know. The sand I had is similar to TMS and by the same manufacturer, but is even finer.

It seems purely coincidental to me. :/ it's just important to not spread around misinformation. A while back someone started claiming that their sand irritated the gills of their fish (which is also untrue). I don't want this to become one of those things. I'm my trying to attack or admonish you in any way. This is just something I like to reiterate

If it's super small, it's fine. If it's super big, it's fine. It is that magical space in between, where they can get it in their mouth, but can't swallow/pass it, that you should be concerned about.

Id like to point put that in an article I've posted here I point out exactly what size substrate qualifies as sand and is the most easily consumed and passable.

79fca330f9bc3bee364c144f5439026c.jpg

This is the variegated PFS that I use. As an ex-graveler I find it a good substrate for me. It's large enough that my gravel vacuum and filter intakes require no extra precautions, heavier than gravel so great for planting in (as I can finally vacuum around my plants without fear of the roots becoming dislodged, all the junk sits on top!), and looks similar to my gravel did.

If you decide to go to a different substrate than gravel this would be my personal suggestion, especially if you find the silt like sands a lot to deal with, or too starkly coloured.

79fca330f9bc3bee364c144f5439026c.jpg

This is the variegated PFS that I use. As an ex-graveler I find it a good substrate for me. It's large enough that my gravel vacuum and filter intakes require no extra precautions, heavier than gravel so great for planting in (as I can finally vacuum around my plants without fear of the roots becoming dislodged, all the junk sits on top!), and looks similar to my gravel did.

If you decide to go to a different substrate than gravel this would be my personal suggestion, especially if you find the silt like sands a lot to deal with, or too starkly coloured.

Mine looks a lot like that. [emoji4] I really like the color.

Whenever I pull Maruko out of her tank and put her in a barebottom tank or container, there is always (magically) sand on the bottom by the time I move her back :rofl

I think half of Waddles weight is sand. :rofl I sometimes put him in a separate container when I do a WC just to see how much comes out. :o I've seen some lovely poofs of sparkly TMS exiting his rear. :booty

:rofl

#IBlameItOnJared

I think half of Waddles weight is sand. :rofl I sometimes put him in a separate container when I do a WC just to see how much comes out. :o I've seen some lovely poofs of sparkly TMS exiting his rear. :booty

:rofl

#IBlameItOnJared

Haha Jared, you're a funny one :P