What type of goldfish is this?

JacobIzzmee

My ryukin was sold to me as a fantail, though I knew she would grow a hump. She now has an incredible figure, so give your fish time and hope they both grow big and healthy for you. :):hug

Edited by Chai

A fantail can be more of an oranda with a little tiny wen, more of a ryukin with a little hump and deep bodied, or more of a comet/common, with a more streamlined shape.

Edited by Moucho+Moncho

I would say the first is a young Ryukin which may develop more of a hump with age. The second looks to be a Shukin if there is no dorsal.

I think for it to be a Shukin, it would have to have a more ranchu shaped body and a wider head. Shukins are pretty rare too. I second you on the ryukin though. :)

• Supporter

Ryukin & fantail. :)

yes & yes :)

Dang it! I hate when dnalex disagrees with me! For the record, I'm sticking with fantail and oranda and this post should be updated with pics every few months!

well, poop to you, Sir :rofl

The first is without a doubt a ryukin. Note the wedge shaped head and the hump beginning to form. The second is a fantail. Rounded face with no evidence of division between the head and body (like the hump of a ryukin). Both lovely fish.

Dang it! I hate when dnalex disagrees with me! For the record, I'm sticking with fantail and oranda and this post should be updated with pics every few months!

:rofl

For what it's worth, I did spend quite a bit of time trying to decide if the second is an oranda that doesn't have much wen. It still could be, although I would lean toward fantail at the moment. :)

I would say the first is a young Ryukin which may develop more of a hump with age. The second looks to be a Shukin if there is no dorsal.

I think for it to be a Shukin, it would have to have a more ranchu shaped body and a wider head. Shukins are pretty rare too. I second you on the ryukin though. :)

Yeah, and it actually has a dorsal...it was just flopped over. I initially thought it was just a spike or a bump :)

Then can we revisit Beefcake and his kids? Fantail or Ryukin? The mom is an Oranda.

IMAG0979_1.jpg

Beefcake looks like a Fankin. :rofl

He looks like he has a tiny hump, so I'm leaning more toward Ryukin. [emoji4]

Edited by *Amanda*

Then can we revisit Beefcake and his kids? Fantail or Ryukin? The mom is an Oranda.

IMAG0979_1.jpg

Beefcake looks like a Fankin. :rofl

He looks like he has a tiny hump, so I'm leaning more toward Ryukin. [emoji4]

I like the Fankin idea :rofl

• 1 month later...

Marlin is an Oranda, not a fantail.

I can't tell from the overhead shot about the little orange one. I think she's also an oranda but I can't tell until I see if she has the headgrowth.

Is she still young? She also looks like an oranda to me, but could just be a mixed breed.

Oranda :thumbs:

Reminds me of dogs.... Some are mixed and some are pure breed :rofl

That's what I thought. :thumbup2: A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

I thought I saw some of Steve's awhile back that looked like that, so was cautious.