Lipstick has a freaky lump

Hi everyone,

It has been ages since I've posted here! I wrote a thesis since we last spoke! I thought about you guys, but I haven't really had the time with everything happening in my life. And the fishy family have all just been happy and healthy, so all your previous advice has worked like a charm! They have all been with me for at least a year now!!! But I missed you all! Hope everyone's tank is happy and healthy too!!

A freaky lump appeared on Lipstick. It must have come up pretty quickly, because I only noticed it last night, and it is almost the size of a pea (and she's pretty small still). But it might have come up more slowly, because I have adopted Helen's "let fish be fish" philosophy, which has really reduced the fish related stress in my life. But I haven't been inspecting them as closely of late. The only thing I can think of that may have contributed is that I forgot to use Prime with my last water change. Thesis Brain hasn't quite left the building :oops:

But here is the form and a video, because she's far too zippy to photograph well! The lump is on her left hand side, just behind her gills, so you can see it from the front and when she faces the left of the screen. Excuse all the others trying to get their 15 seconds of fame!

I haven't seen anything like this before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDkeV_NM4fw&feature=youtu.be

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) = 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) = 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) < 5
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) = 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) = 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) = 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) =8.0 – 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.4-7.6

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Fresh Water Master Test Kit (drops)
  • * Water temperature? 21*C
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 450 litres, 1.5 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim canister, 2 x tank capacity per hour. (I know I’m under filtered, and I’m working on fixing this situation. In the meantime I make up for it by under stocking and frequently changing water)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50%, 1- 2 times per week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 week ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish (2 comets, 1 fantail, one tele). Combined weight approx 82grams
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, GH buffer
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashi (mix of soilent green and super green), occasional blood worms and regular green veggies.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not for ages. Maybe six months to a year ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nope.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They have all had two Prazi pro and salt treatments as per Koko’s guidelines. This particular fish only had one Prazi and salt treatment when she first arrived (as she is the newest addition to the tank)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Lipstick has a weird lump just behind her gills. It must have come up pretty quickly, as I only noticed it last night and it was already the size of a small pea, which is huge on her because she is still quite a small fish/
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope. Other than this huge lump, there are no signs that she isn’t perfectly healthy.
Edited by Linzi Glitter

Welcome back! Congrats on the thesis! That's great [emoji4]

I'm on my phone so the video is a little small but from what I could tell I saw a small lump behind the gill on one side. This appears to be a bacterial cyst. There is not a whole lot to do at this point except wait for it to pop on it's own, after that we can salt the tank to ward off secondary infection.

Do you have any meds on hand? (I don't anticipate at this point that you will need them, but would like to know what you have handy just in case.)

Welcome back! Congrats on the thesis! That's great [emoji4]

I'm on my phone so the video is a little small but from what I could tell I saw a small lump behind the gill on one side. This appears to be a bacterial cyst. There is not a whole lot to do at this point except wait for it to pop on it's own, after that we can salt the tank to ward off secondary infection.

Do you have any meds on hand? (I don't anticipate at this point that you will need them, but would like to know what you have handy just in case.)

Thank you! I'm quite proud! Although I definitely haven't had a life in a long time lol :teehee

That sounds like a good prognosis! I have salt, Prazi pro, and Pimafix. I also have Helen a couple of suburbs away, with her fully equipped pharmacy!

I've set up the QT tank I got on sale ages ago, should I put her in there or just leave her in the main tank? If it's bacterial would it be better to salt the main tank to kill anything lingering about? I will be able to do more frequent water changes if she's in the QT tank (it's a 9 gallon tank).

Welcome back!!!!! Hope your fish feels better.

Thanks Heidi! She doesn't even seem to notice what's going on! So that's a good sign!

QT is fine if you'd like :) it's generally not contagious, but she'll need to go to QT when it bursts anyway for salt so if you want to go ahead and move her now that's fine. And just a heads up that these sometimes come in multiples, so it's possible she'll develop more.

Good to know you have the Stakos pharmacy nearby just in case :)

QT is fine if you'd like :) it's generally not contagious, but she'll need to go to QT when it bursts anyway for salt so if you want to go ahead and move her now that's fine. And just a heads up that these sometimes come in multiples, so it's possible she'll develop more.

Good to know you have the Stakos pharmacy nearby just in case :)

I'm going to put her in QT tomorrow morning once the temperature evens out (super cold snap here!). Appreciate the heads up, it's always nice to be mentally prepared. It is growing at a scary pace! Hopefully it won't pop over night!

Sorry about your fish with having a lump/cyst on her. Hopefully it will resolve itself soon.

Thank you! It's pretty freaky to look at! But I'm glad she's otherwise ok, and that it shouldn't be too difficult to treat, fingers crossed.

Has it gotten larger since you first posted? If so would you mind getting an updated picture?

I think it has grown, but it's hard to say. It looked huge when I first noticed it, but I think it may have grown. New video on the way. She's all set up in QT now, ready for it to burst ewww!

• Supporter

lol.. that cat is adorable :)

at one point in the video, where light was hitting on the fish from behind, i was able to see almost the complete sphere of the cyst.. so definitely, that's exactly how they form. it causing such a bump means that it is most likely to pop and ooze for a few days. it's not unusual to have more than one cyst, but more often there is just the one.

if you notice that there are more, just keep an eye out from top view as sometimes if they have multiple, they can actually begin to pinecone from the amount of bacteria.

an example: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118367-strange-lumps-on-fantail/

once it bursts, if it is a huge wound, you may want to try and dab some betadine on the site to keep it sterile whilst it heals. you can get that from the pharmacy (not sure about Coles, but perhaps) if you don't have it already.

lol.. that cat is adorable :)

at one point in the video, where light was hitting on the fish from behind, i was able to see almost the complete sphere of the cyst.. so definitely, that's exactly how they form. it causing such a bump means that it is most likely to pop and ooze for a few days. it's not unusual to have more than one cyst, but more often there is just the one.

if you notice that there are more, just keep an eye out from top view as sometimes if they have multiple, they can actually begin to pinecone from the amount of bacteria.

an example: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118367-strange-lumps-on-fantail/

once it bursts, if it is a huge wound, you may want to try and dab some betadine on the site to keep it sterile whilst it heals. you can get that from the pharmacy (not sure about Coles, but perhaps) if you don't have it already.

Yep how funny is Savvy, she loves all things fishy!

I can't believe it hasn't popped yet! It is growing at an alarming rate - the complete sphere you mentioned has come out from her body more. If it was a cartoon, people would be running away screaming "This thing is gonna blow!" :yikes

Some of her scales are sticking up, but I didn't recongise it as pineconing because they are only the ones directly on top of the lump. I thought they are just sticking up because they are supposed to lie flat on a flatish surface that is now very round. She has also lost scales from the lump.

I will try to catch her in my hands and take a better photo today. Will defs keep a close eye out for pineconing.

Should I salt the tank now or wait for that thing to blow?

Yesterday it burst and stringy cottony pieces of gunk came off it so I did a 50% water change and salted to 0.1%

I'm pleased to report it looks much less hideous now - the lump is much much smaller.

I'm going to do another water change today, should I leave the salt at 0.1% or raise it towards 0.3%??

Yesterday it burst and stringy cottony pieces of gunk came off it so I did a 50% water change and salted to 0.1%

I'm pleased to report it looks much less hideous now - the lump is much much smaller.

I'm going to do another water change today, should I leave the salt at 0.1% or raise it towards 0.3%??

yes, why don't you go ahead and raise it to .3% just to play it safe.

Would you mind giving us an updated pic whenever you have a chance? Is she still acting normal?

you could also get the betadine that Helen suggested :)

yes, why don't you go ahead and raise it to .3% just to play it safe.

Would you mind giving us an updated pic whenever you have a chance? Is she still acting normal?

you could also get the betadine that Helen suggested :)

Gah sorry for the extremely delayed response. Life is hectic when you work three jobs!

I left her at 0.1% for nearly a week, and the lump went down very quickly - it has healed beautifully and the lump is barely even noticable now. No redness. I had to put her back in the main tank on Thursday because when I came home from work the water level had dropped and there was water everywhere. I thought the QT might have sprung a leak, but when I tested it in the bath overnight it was fine. Must have been the cat being over zealous with it.

Anyway, Lipstick is in the main tank (not salted) atm. She definitely has at least two more cysts coming up, and seems to be tilting forward in the water when she is not swimming. Is this something to worry about? I have tried to get a photo but it's near impossible - every time she sees me approaching the tank she swims to the front and does the wiggly "feed me" dance, so I can't catch her on camera mid tilt.

I will set up the QT again when the cysts are closer to bursting point. Should she still be in salt? I could salt the main tank, I'm sure the others wouldn't mind. And should I do the betadine thing, even though it has pretty much completely healed now?

Thanks so much for your help Jess, apologies for being so slow on the reply.

No worries!

If she is healed there's no need for her to be in salt or do the betadine. I'm assuming her butt is lifting up when she stops swimming? Sounds like some floatiness, you may want to try fasting for a couple days and see if it makes a difference. If it continues to get worse try to sneak up on them and get a video.

Ok it seems to have dissapated. I think she was a little stressed in QT because my cat can get at 5 sides of the tank and harrass her, so maybe that upset her little belly. I'm setting up the QT again tonight, as cyst number two is getting huge and number three is emerging... Arrrggghhh when will it endd??!!!

Assuming all your maintenance is on point, there's nothing you can really do to prevent it. Fish don't live in a sterile environment, nor would we want them to. Despite our best efforts they do get sick from time to time just like we do ;)

Could you post a pic of the new cyst? Is her behavior still normal?

Urrgh I'm getting pretty worried about her and Gumshoe too. Might have to start another D&D thread for Gummy. The hinge on my hood has rusted and small flakes have been falling in the tank. What effect could this have on them?

The first cyst has healed up, but there is still a lump there that has not subsided. After that she had two others come up - a small one and another huge one. The small one surprised me by bursting first, and really cleanly, leaving a scale sized red spot that disappeared really quickly. The large one is kind of oozy and doesn't seem to be reducing in size. So she looks really lumpy.

She is still tilting forward in the water. Today is the second day of fasting and no change. New video on the way.

Unfortunately she is in the main tank, as I just did not have the time to set up the QT this week, and the small lump took me by surprise. Salted to 0.2%

Feeling pretty sad and guilty and worried. Should have seperated her but just had to keep working and doing all the things :(

Rust is a concern in a fish tank :( do you think there is still rust in the tank?

Can you get a new pic of lipstick? Sometimes if cysts are too deep and unable to burst on their own we need to medicate. I just want a pic to assess if we need to take a more proactive approach or not

I've put them all in the QT for the moment, and will do a super good clean of the main tank 2moz.

I've got a new video uploading atm. The first one looks like it might burst again, the third one looks like it might burst soonish, and there is another one coming up further back in her body.

No worries :)

Update: I'm treating the whole tank for flukes, and from their reactions to the Prazi Pro, I had a pretty bad fluke infestation. Lots of twitching, darting, and yawning. Just thought I would mention in case it is relevant.