White growth on wen, base looks infected

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.00
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.00
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10 ppm (prior to WC it was between 40-80, I can't read the chart any better than that)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 1.00 (chloromines)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.00
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0.00
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 82 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 135 gallons, running for 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX5 canister filter, and an AquaClear 500 HOB filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 85%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 85%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 fish total, 1 runt, 1 small, 2 medium, 3 large.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum once or twice a day, raw red leaf lettuce a few times a week. I was feeding them Soilent Green, but it made this fish extremely floaty (like flip upside-down floaty) so I'm only feeding them the NLS right now.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? last additions were on 6/13, this fish plus 2 others, all from Dandy Orandas
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none currently
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Just finished 5 rounds of Prazi treatment at 0.1% salt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? There is a cottony white growth on her wen, the base of which looks red and infected. I first noticed it about 5 days ago, it has grown in size since I first saw it. Everything else looks normal.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fish is eating and behaving normally

I got this fish on 06/13/14 from Dandy Orandas. She has been healthy until now. I did 5 rounds of Prazi and salt which ended on 7/20. She has a cottony white growth in her wen, just behind her nostril. I first noticed it about 5 days ago and have been keeping an eye on it. It started out small and has gotten bigger. The base of it looks red. (See photos). I have Metro-Meds on hand but I'm not sure if this is something that would be treated with antibiotics. I've moved her to a quarantine tank. Need advice. :(

IMG_7518_zps21f63d8c.jpg

IMG_7517_zps904c2b88.jpg

IMG_7516_zps89997c03.jpg

Have you contacted Ken yet? I might do that first since it hasn't been too long since you bought the fish.... not sure if he has a warranty period etc. and we want to make sure that we don't do anything to void that.

I don't necessarily want to wait on treatment because these things can be quite aggressive, but while we make a plan if you wanted to contact him that might be good (it's up to you of course)

In the mean time, if you could get your hands on some powdered metro and bifuran that would be great :)

Is there an advantage to the powdered metro over the Metro Meds? Just curious because I do have Metro Meds that I can start her on right away. I have to go to PetSmart later today so I will look for bifuran while I'm there. Thanks :)

In the mean time, if you could get your hands on some powdered metro and bifuran that would be great :)

Is there an advantage to the powdered metro over the Metro Meds? Just curious because I do have Metro Meds that I can start her on right away. I have to go to PetSmart later today so I will look for bifuran while I'm there. Thanks :)

The metro meds contain other medications besides just metro, so that plus the bifuran would be a lot of medication. It would be an option to do that, but there is greater risk of kidney damage because of so many meds being put into the system at once. The powdered metro also has the advantage of being a waterborne medication, which may actually be advantageous in this situation where the targeted tissue/infection is not internal.

Start on the bifuran ASAP. :)

Start on the bifuran ASAP. :)

Thanks Alex, I got some today at my LFS. So should I hold off on the powdered Metro for now, or do both together?

If you have both, please use both. I meant earlier that if you just have furan first, go ahead and start it right away. :)

Oh ok, I had neither before this afternoon, lol. Do you want me to do salt too? I don't have any in there right now.

Ok I've added both meds. Thanks! :)

:thumbs:

Please check your parameter the next day and see if you need to add Prime/Amquel to block ammonia and nitrite. Otherwise, after 48 hours, do a 100% WC and replace meds. I would like to go with that pattern for 10-14 days, depending on how the fish does.

You are supposed to see improvements as soon as 48 hours, so I am hopeful we will have great results soon! :)

Ok so it looks like it is now getting worse again. :( The white stuff is back and whatever it is, it looks like it's eating away at her flesh. Is this Hole in the Head disease?

IMG_7540_zpsf3b5afbb.jpg

IMG_7543_zpscd9ee4ea.jpg

I have been doing the medications every 48 hours with a 100% water change.